Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

One of my favorite threads to lurk on the old FAF was the metal thread. I discovered a ton of new bands through it, and since no one has started a new one here, fuck it. I will.

Let's talk metal music, share songs/bands, and in general, be pretentious cunts to each other. Pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work!

So: Favorite metal bands, favorite songs, favorite concerts, etc?

Also, might not be a bad idea to post youtube vids in spoiler tags or something so this doesn't devolve into a slow-loading wall of videos.

I have a fondness for powermetal. And symphonic metal. But especially symphonic powermetal. Gloryhammer, Hammerfall and Pathfinder are all a bit within the same area. Powerwolf is a slight bit heavier, and have darker lyrics but they fit more with a sort of "medieval metal" style, if that makes sense. Basically what you'd hear if you dropped a metal band into England in 1453.

• Like 1

I have a fondness for powermetal. And symphonic metal. But especially symphonic powermetal. Gloryhammer, Hammerfall and Pathfinder are all a bit within the same area. Powerwolf is a slight bit heavier, and have darker lyrics but they fit more with a sort of "medieval metal" style, if that makes sense. Basically what you'd hear if you dropped a metal band into England in 1453.

I'm a fucking huge fan of Powerwolf despite them not bothering to change their sound at all. Their last three albums sound identical, but the music is awesome so oh well. Blessed and Possessed is a pretty killer album. "Army of the Night" and "Armata Strigoi" might be some of my favorite songs by them now.

Also a fan of Gloryhammer. They have a new album out, I think. Or will soon. I really need to check it out. The two singles are cool, even if the "narrative" they have going went bonkers. Time to time travel to the future and head to space! Oh Gloryhammer <3

• Like 1

I'm a fucking huge fan of Powerwolf despite them not bothering to change their sound at all. Their last three albums sound identical, but the music is awesome so oh well. Blessed and Possessed is a pretty killer album. "Army of the Night" and "Armata Strigoi" might be some of my favorite songs by them now.

Also a fan of Gloryhammer. They have a new album out, I think. Or will soon. I really need to check it out. The two singles are cool, even if the "narrative" they have going went bonkers. Time to time travel to the future and head to space! Oh Gloryhammer <3

Oooh, I wasn't aware of that. Google Music only has Tales From the Kingdom of Fife listed, but that is bloody awesome on its own. Especially Hail to Crail!

Oooh, I wasn't aware of that. Google Music only has Tales From the Kingdom of Fife listed, but that is bloody awesome on its own. Especially Hail to Crail!

Rise of the Chaos Wizards

Universe on Fire

Looks like the album came out on Step 25th. My local CD store wasn't able to get their last one in, so I'm not holding out hope for this one :( Might have to go digital.

My favorite metal band is probably Finntroll. I definitely have a thing for folk metal, and the fact that I'll never understand the Nordic lyrics probably makes it better.

I should also add in Kvelertak for something a little faster and more punk.

Checking these out. I like the Finntroll song, even though I'm not usually one for non-English music these days. I really attach myself ot the lyrics/vocal melodies of music, and yeah. This is hard to do that. But man, that dude has a nice growl.

Funny thing, a year ago I wouldn't have liked this at all. I've really gotten more acclimated to rougher vocals.

If you like folk metal, I recommend Crimson Shadows

Heroes Among Men

Lyrically, it's a bit on the goofy side at times, but yeah. It's basically Canadian Viking metal.

If Alestorm are folk metal, then I'm all about that folk metal. Sunset on the Golden Age is a wonderful, wonderful album, stupidity and pirates aside.

Also, really digging Kvelertak. Crazy music video too.

I mostly listen to black, experimental and avant-garde metal, but I love all kinds of metal.  I vary from the hardcore Satanic stuff to lighter stuff like power metal depending on my mood.

A few of my favourites:

DragonLand (power)

Unexpect (avant-garde)

Darkside of Innocence (symphonic black)

Baphomets Horns (black)

Checking these out. I like the Finntroll song, even though I'm not usually one for non-English music these days. I really attach myself ot the lyrics/vocal melodies of music, and yeah. This is hard to do that. But man, that dude has a nice growl.

Funny thing, a year ago I wouldn't have liked this at all. I've really gotten more acclimated to rougher vocals.

If you like folk metal, I recommend Crimson Shadows

Heroes Among Men

Lyrically, it's a bit on the goofy side at times, but yeah. It's basically Canadian Viking metal.

If Alestorm are folk metal, then I'm all about that folk metal. Sunset on the Golden Age is a wonderful, wonderful album, stupidity and pirates aside.

Also, really digging Kvelertak. Crazy music video too.

Nice, I'll have to add Crimson Shadows to the list. I find whether or not I like rough vocals really varies on a band by band basis; Finntroll was probably my gateway band to that sound.

I'd definitely count Alestorm as folk metal, both in terms of theme and instrumentation. On the subject of folk metal I must also include Korpiklaani, though this linked song is in English and more silly than most.

Oddly enough, I never really got into folk metal.  I have always liked thrash and power metal, and in the past year or so I have been getting into death metal. Bands like Cattle Decapitation and Napalm Death make life worth living.

Also, you should come to Cleveland. We have the best under the radar bands, like Deadiron, Something Involving a Monkey, and Sunless Sky.

Here is a smattering of some of my favorites. I have over 1,000 CD's in my collection, probably another 300 vinyl LP's and another 100 or so cassettes. On my iPod and playlist there is easily over 10,000 Songs. It is hard to just pick a few. 

• Keel
  • Guiffria
  • Tygers of Pantang
  • Y&T
  • Steeler
  • Steelheart
  • Diamond Head
  • Motorhead
  • Metallica
  • Megadeth
  • Bullet Boys
  • Trixter
  • Dangerous Toys
  • Yngwie Malmsteen 
  • Nitro (Jim Gillette)
  • D'Molls
  • Ratt
  • Twisted Sister
  • Whitesnake
  • Slaughter
  • Skid Row
  • White Zombie
  • Pantera (Old stuff and their groove metal stuff; I think both are good)
  • Ugly Kid Joe
  • Dokken

A great deal of my tastes in metal are really dated. Many do not consider "Hair Metal" Heavy Metal, but when it was out, hot and ruled the airwaves, everyone called it Heavy Metal.

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

A great deal of my tastes in metal are really dated. Many do not consider "Hair Metal" Heavy Metal, but when it was out, hot and ruled the airwaves, everyone called it Heavy Metal.

I'm cool with it. I know metal conversations can really turn into arguments of genre and subgenre, but eh. It's less a deal with me as long as I like the music. Plus, things change as history goes on, so what sounded like one genre in the 70's or 80's might not fit in these days. Half the time I'm simply content on going with what iTunes tells me.

Like, two of my favorite metal bands could easily be argued to be in the "hard rock" genre, and eh. It's not that big of a deal. I've gotten older, and I guess the want to lump them into "METAL AW YEAH" has gone away. It's the least important aspect to them as long as they tour and release new material.

Those bands, since this is a thread about sharing and caring, are Godsmack and Bobaflex.

"Awake" by Godsmack
"Chemical Valley" by Bobaflex

"Spider in the Dark" by Bobaflex

Bobaflex especially have changed their sound, and Anything that Moves really lacks the edge of Hell in my Heart. Not a bad thing, but a different thing. I do miss their slightly older sound. It was so much more in your face. Their oldest older sound I actually really don't like. So there's that. Change is change. If nothing else, their guitar work is better.

But man, Bobaflex rule live. I've seen them five times now, met/hunt out with the band a few times too. Did shots of Jagermeister with all of them at a small theater/bar in WI. Killer group of musicians.

Edited by Conker

Ah, i can always use an excuse to post more music.

Slightly experimental black metal from a band everybody thinks is racist.

Also, everyone needs a little Clutch.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees! Clutch is without a doubt my favourite band and that song became one of my favourites of theirs as soon as i heard it.

I saw Megadeth at Gigantour 2013 with Newsted, Hellyeah, Device, and Black Label Society. Other than that, my experience has been at smaller venues, mostly local bands. Cleveland rocks.

Also, for my birthday last year my dad took me to see Raven with Night Demon and Wretch. Raven is an underrated band from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Night Demon is a band from the LBC that plays vintage style metal. And Wretch is a wicked power metal band from Cleveland. I told you Cleveland rocks.

Huge fan of power metal and symphonic metal right here.  Some of my favorites are Rhapsody of Fire, Luca Turilli, Demons and Wizards, Iron Savior, and Symphony X.  I also really enjoy power metal bands that are kind of cheesy and don't take themselves too seriously like Alestorm, Dream Evil, PowerGlove, and Power Wolf.

The one thing I personally can't stand for in metal, or any music for that matter, is when the vocalist does that screaming and/or grunting shit.  So many bands I start listening to and go alright this is awesome and then the "vocals" start up and then I immediately go nope and just turn it off.

One of my favorites

I'm probably one of the only ones around here that enjoys Metalcore stuff. I took a liking to stuff like Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, and Parkway Drive when I was in high school. I've also liked a bit of Arsonists Get All The Girls and Slipknot, but I dunno what kind of metal they are.

I'm probably one of the only ones around here that enjoys Metalcore stuff. I took a liking to stuff like Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, and Parkway Drive when I was in high school. I've also liked a bit of Arsonists Get All The Girls and Slipknot, but I dunno what kind of metal they are.

I like some Metalcore. I saw Killswitch Engage this year and enjoyed their set, for the most part. I'm not their biggest fan, but they certainly play their music well. It can feel very inaccessible at times though, like I can listen to a track three or four times and still not "get it."

I like Bullet for my Valentine and All that Remains, at least some of their albums. Bullet's newest album, Venom is god-damned great and a far improvement over Temper Temper which...I really didn't like at all. ATR I'm feeling the opposite: Their new album feels so weak and radio friendly in comparison to For We are Many and A War you Cannot Win.

I've seen ATR live. They do a good job.

For Slipknot, I've heard them called Nu-Metal. Not sure if that applies to their newest album, which is the only one of theirs I actually have. Some great jams on it though.

The one thing I personally can't stand for in metal, or any music for that matter, is when the vocalist does that screaming and/or grunting shit.  So many bands I start listening to and go alright this is awesome and then the "vocals" start up and then I immediately go nope and just turn it off.

I used to be like that too, hating any "extreme" metal and only listening to power metal.  A lot of Stratovarius, Helloween and Gamma Ray. Then I slowly started making myself listen to more death metal like Hypocrisy, and then I suddenly I developed a taste for black metal through Cradle of Filth(which I previously thought was the worst band ever).  Now I try to hunt down the most extreme, brutal stuff I can find.  I'm not sure how I made such a turnaround.  I guess it's an acquired taste.

I used to be like that too, hating any "extreme" metal and only listening to power metal.  A lot of Stratovarius, Helloween and Gamma Ray. Then I slowly started making myself listen to more death metal like Hypocrisy, and then I suddenly I developed a taste for black metal through Cradle of Filth(which I previously thought was the worst band ever).  Now I try to hunt down the most extreme, brutal stuff I can find.  I'm not sure how I made such a turnaround.  I guess it's an acquired taste.

I'm in a similar boat, though with less hunting around for it. Closest I go is stumbling upon a video I like via Youtube and checking out the recommendations on the side.. I guess it's like beer. You just drink enough until it clicks and finally tastes good.

For me, it was bands like Five Finger Death Punch, All that Remains, and Sonic Synidcate that got me into more extreme kinds of metal. The blending of harsh vocals with clean vocals is something I really quite like because you get the best of both worlds, and once you can tolerate harsh vocals there, then you can tolerate full songs with them.

I think it was All Hail the Yeti that really slid me home into, "Fucking hell, growls are cool!" because this band does it very well.

"The Art of Mourning" by All Hail the Yeti

My personal catch is I have to be able to understand the lyrics when they're growled, screamed, screeched, or otherwise vocally distorted. If it's all grunting, then I'm out. Exceptions are some bands that don't sing/speak in English, but as I've pointed out here, that can be iffy.

Saw All Hail the Yeti live I think two years ago now? Got to meet the band there too. Nice dudes. We joked around a bit, and they signed some merch. IT's been a bit, but they're FINALLY working on new music, and I'm really pumped for that. Hoping they put out a single soon.

My buddy is really into August burns Red and other bands like that. I think the music is pretty fuckin killer its just the vocals that totally kill it for me :P

• Like 1

I like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium, and both bands started out as metalcore.

• Like 1

I like some Metalcore. I saw Killswitch Engage this year and enjoyed their set, for the most part. I'm not their biggest fan, but they certainly play their music well. It can feel very inaccessible at times though, like I can listen to a track three or four times and still not "get it."

I like Bullet for my Valentine and All that Remains, at least some of their albums. Bullet's newest album, Venom is god-damned great and a far improvement over Temper Temper which...I really didn't like at all. ATR I'm feeling the opposite: Their new album feels so weak and radio friendly in comparison to For We are Many and A War you Cannot Win.

I've seen ATR live. They do a good job.

For Slipknot, I've heard them called Nu-Metal. Not sure if that applies to their newest album, which is the only one of theirs I actually have. Some great jams on it though.

Killswitch has always been a personal favorite of mine, just because they usually have a nice variety in their albums and their current vocalist is pretty good live.

I'm sure Slipknot has changed genres quite a few times, that's why I wasn't sure. Their older stuff was always described to me as Thrash Metal or something, and they apparently mellowed out a lot since then.

• Like 1

Metal today is garbage. 

80's to early 90's metal was best.

Now it all sounds like the Cookie Monster.

Pretty sure one of the best things about metal these days is the variety, especially if you count progressive.

Edited by Onnes

Best concert I ever went to was a triple-threat. Thin Lizzy, Black Label Society, and Judas Priest.

Rob Halford's voice still gives me a metal stiffy.

"Painkiller" remains one of the most metal fucking metal songs ever. God the guitar/drums! The fact that I don't own any music by Judas Priest is kind of a major problem, especially since Redeemer of Souls is really good. I think that's there 16th god damned album, which is insane.

Makes sense. Probably why it's so popular with teens.

.5: The Gray Chapter is a really, really solid and surprisingly cohesive album. It's angry as fuck, and honestly sometimes lyrically it turns into a cartoon, but god damn it's a good set of songs. I was really surprised with how much I liked it. There's way more variety than I expected for one thing, and Corey Taylor has a HUGE singing range. I could listen to "Custer" all fucking day, which also helps.

"Painkiller" remains one of the most metal fucking metal songs ever. God the guitar/drums! The fact that I don't own any music by Judas Priest is kind of a major problem, especially since Redeemer of Souls is really good. I think that's there 16th god damned album, which is insane.

Watching them perform it live was breathtaking. Even at over 60 years old Rob Halford's still got it.

I listen to metal sometimes. Can't be bothered keeping track of the subgenres because there are so many.

RIP your browsers.

To be fair, I did ask quite kindly that people link to songs instead of embedding all kinds of videos. So you know, only yourself to blame.

Watching them perform it live was breathtaking. Even at over 60 years old Rob Halford's still got it.

I really, really want to see them live. They were headlining a festival this year, but I couldn't make the day. Wound up going to Heart instead though, which was pretty cool.