Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

Granted any band that can make a song like this:

I'm incapable of truly disliking but everything i've heard from them has been decidedly meh. Plus i'm pretty sure they've blatantly ripped off other bands at least once. One of their songs (can't remember which atm) sounded "heavily inspired" by Fear of the Dark, or at least the intro did to me. 

Kind of reminds me of Lordi, which I don't think anyone has metioned yet.  They're pretty good, too:

Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah

Personally I am more of a prog metal nerd than a "real metalhead" or the like but a good portion of my library *is* metal stuff so what have you. Though I've been spinning a lot of black metal lately (mostly as hybrids with other genres but ehh :V) and I've been into post-metal and sludge metal stuff for some time too. Never been a fan of death metal, Opeth's about the only "death"-category band I listen to. 

I've basically been listening to this album way too much over the past month so I figure I'll share it here :P 

Well that wasn't something I was expecting to see. Ghost performed on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Letterman used to show a lot of good artists way back. Also I'm not really big on Ghost (or what I've heard of them) but that song is pretty good. The video was amusing too :D

Edited by Phausk

Huh! And I'm here listening to From The Pinnacle To The Pit right now. Creepy coincidences. Thanks for sharing!

Letterman used to show a lot of good artists way back. Also I'm not really big on Ghost (or what I've heard of them) but that song is pretty good. The video was amusing too :D

In hindsight, Ghost is probably one of the best bands out there to book for a Halloween show. The costumes are perfect, and the Late Show in its current incarnation really goes all out on visual effects and camera work for the musical guests. I was really impressed.

Just to let everyone know, that band who was playing in the Paris attacks, Eagles of Death Metal.... isn't actually a death metal band. It's a joke name and they're more of a silly rockabilly band.

Still, anyone who kills people at a rock or metal concert is an enemy of mine and this hits too close to home. All my thoughts to the fans, their families, and those who died. Metal on!

Gonna jam to the new stuff posted here, but funny story.

I got a new job as a data technician (computer stuff) at a machine shop, and fucking EVERYONE THERE listens to country :( At least, everyone in my working area. I mentioned this today, the whole, "damn, ya'll like country," which turned into, "Well what do you like?"

METAL

And some older guy (who looks like a turtle :P) unironically went, "It's all devil music."

Made me laugh pretty hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing. I haven't heard a great deal of Steampunk music but i like it's playful nature. With that in mind here's a steampunk...thing.

That's not exactly Metal though so to balance it out here's some classic Doom.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing. I haven't heard a great deal of Steampunk music but i like it's playful nature. With that in mind here's a steampunk...thing.

That's not exactly Metal though so to balance it out here's some classic Doom.

i love steampunk music. Made a tread on the topic earlier

i love steampunk music. Made a tread on the topic earlier

And thanks for doing that, heard a lot of good music in that list. Really need to hear more of That Damned Band and Zydepunks. Anyway, i just realized that this post has a disturbing lack of Paradise Lost, gotta remedy that.

Finally jammed out to the new Gloryhammer album. God damn is that band fun! I think I like it more than their first, though it doesn't have anything that's as in-your-face as "Angus McFyfe" which is a shame. After that, youtube told me to listen to more power metal so I did. Can't remember the band, but they sang about getting a sword to kill a dragon and there was a dragon on the cover, so you know, I've narrowed it down to like 90% of powermetal :P

Listening to a tune called "Hunter of the Celestial Sea" by Midnight Odyssey becuase it has pretty artwork. Though the master I think is fucked to hell. Hard to tell but it sounds muddy as fuck.

On 12/13/2015 at 9:18 PM, Onnes said:

i like this! out of curiosity, might you enjoy gallows?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhss2c-iRE

is it bad that i didnt know this thread actually existed? ;-;

i'm going to read this through and find some bands i like, but i haven't got much a vocabulary for metal anymore, save a few bands

some examples: i love black dahlia murder, between the buried and me, but i also wanna hear more stuff like this

edit: found what i was looking for, leprous

Edited by evan
  • Like 1

Avenged Sevenfold was my obsession in my teenage years. I wouldn't listen to anything else. Today I have a bunch of different things in my playlists. From classical piano songs to Slipknot LOL.

In the rock/metal category, what I listen to includes:

- Avenged Sevenfold

- System Of A Down

- Nickelback

- Green Day

- Slipknot

- Gamma Ray

- The Offspring

- Simple Plan

On 12/27/2015 at 7:58 AM, Joshi said:

My taste is a bit "heavier".

I usually listen to folk or melodic death metal so my bands are

- Amon Amarth

I want to love Amon Amarth, but I hate how they mix their albums. Vocals are too low and hard to hear :(

But fuck yeah Alestorm. Those guys rule

17 hours ago, Conker said:

I want to love Amon Amarth, but I hate how they mix their albums. Vocals are too low and hard to hear :(

But fuck yeah Alestorm. Those guys rule

I love them not only for their lyrics and theme, but also for their musical skill. The way they play 2 guitars changing several times between rythm and lead in a song, the way they managed to get a tune into the vocals even if they're growling and so on.

But in the end it's just a matter of taste

(Yes bacon metal is awesome \o/)

7 hours ago, Joshi said:
7 hours ago, Joshi said:

I love them not only for their lyrics and theme, but also for their musical skill. The way they play 2 guitars changing several times between rythm and lead in a song, the way they managed to get a tune into the vocals even if they're growling and so on.

I imagine they sound better live, assuming the guy engineering the sound is doing his job right.

Amon Amarth and the only band that have this flaw though. Equilibrium do--can hardly hear the vocalist at all in the songs I've listened to--and I've heard others though can't remember any names.

I wonder why it happens, since it's most certainly a conscious thing being done. If the band wants it that way or it's just specific people mixing all these albums.

Odd. I never had any problems understanding amon amarth. Imo the mixing is perfect. But you're right, equilibrium is nothing more than embarrassing. I can't even understand what that guy's saying though it's my native language

20 hours ago, Joshi said:

Odd. I never had any problems understanding amon amarth. Imo the mixing is perfect. But you're right, equilibrium is nothing more than embarrassing. I can't even understand what that guy's saying though it's my native language

It could be that the vocalist of Amon Amarth sings really low. I sometimes have troubles with the low ends.

They really are a band I want to like but can't quite get into. Messhgah as well. (probably spelled that one wrong)

• Like 1

On 27/12/2015 at 2:03 AM, evan said:

...but i also wanna hear more stuff like this

Well i can't ignore requests for Black Metal, might not quite be what you're looking for but here's some noise:

Enslaved - Ethica Odini

Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine

Burzum - Dunkelheit

Gorgoroth - Profetens Apenbaring

Marduk - Accuser / Opposer

I'm gonna stop before this just becomes a massive list of songs i like, if you like some of those songs just say and i'll find more like it. Always happy to flood threads with BM.

On 27/12/2015 at 2:40 AM, Onnes said:

I don't recall seeing Red Fang yet in this thread.

Indeed that is a travesty, i'll do my part to redress that too.

Hank Is Dead!

12 hours ago, Conker said:

@Newt listened to a good chunk of that playlist and really enjoyed it. ALways thought Opeth had a chick singer though. Wonder what band I'm thinking of.

Arch Enemy?

• Like 1