Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Yeah. My friend put out a solo project recently (which I maybe linked to here, can't remember) and the DIY vibe to it helps make it something special.

When it comes to music, I'd like to do more than just experience it, ya know? So I want to try and throw something together before I kick the bucket, but I also realize I'll probably only do the ONE project and be fine. Just to say I did it. But it is literally years away so it's kinda just a pipe dream right now with some finished shitty poetry :P

Uh, for the pain and stuff, towards the end it didn't seem to really hurt, though I felt a lot of pressure in my mouth area, on the upper pallet I think. I had been experimenting around though for a good twenty minutes to a half hour, and some of what I was doing did burn a bit. Nothing amazingly painful though, so I kinda shrugged it off. Hard to tell how tense the throat was and whatnot. It's not something you ever thing about in regards to throat muscles unless you're trying to do this or other vocal things, which I don't ever try to do. People saying, "open your throat" know waht they're talking about, but I"m like, "yeah but how should that feel? I know how I think it should, but that doens't mean I'm doing it right because I DUNNO!"

Wasn't much blood though. I thought it was from a cut gum or something at first when I was brushing my teeth, but I couldn't find any cuts. Assumed it was the throat and yeah. Took a flashlight and looked and it was a little chewed up back there, but nothing that scared me. Just kinda went, "well shit"

Dunno what Funeral Doom is, but it sounds pretty heavy. And fun! Hope you enjoy that (and post stuff from it if you get the chance. I want to hear!)

Ooh, i'd like to hear it. The guy i'm hopefully gonna play bass for has already put out a few solo albums, made a decent amount of money from them too. Oooooooooooold forum reg called DarkNoctus, goes by Grump now. Lucky enough to call him a good friend irl. 

Hah, i'm exactly the same. I know i have at least one album in me, it's just a case of finding people to make one with at first. When i play by myself it never feels like proper music and i need the input of someone else to get me started down that road properly.

Hmm, by upper pallet i'm assuming you mean the soft part closer to the uvula. Burning in that general area can be common at first although for me it's usually around the top of the throat itself. Half an hour seems like a normal amount of time for that if you're just starting out, i'd stick with that as a practice time until you know you've got it down, then try for an album. In regards to seeing if you're tensing up your throat, it's simple. Press your fingers against your throat before you scream and feel how tight it is, then do the same thing while screaming. If it feels a lot tighter you're doing it wrong, it should feel slightly less relaxed than when your just resting but only a little. The tighter it is the more unnecessary pressure you'll be putting on your throat, it's the only thing i can think of that might've caused the bleeding (unless you just made everything a little raw in there). The tighter your throat is the worse your vocals will sound as well, ends up choking the scream. I can't offer any advice to help you relax your throat when you're screaming if that's a problem, just try and keep it loose. Apparently Judy Garland used to deep throat guys before a musical performance to relax her throat so you could try that, idk. Can't hurt at least. :P

Give it at least 4 days to heal, given the amount of blood it doesn't seem like anything serious.

Aaaaaand as for Funeral Doom, here's an example:

If it happens i'll certainly enjoy the entire experience, and i'll post whatever comes of it. :3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KyryK said:

Ooh, i'd like to hear it. The guy i'm hopefully gonna play bass for has already put out a few solo albums, made a decent amount of money from them too. Oooooooooooold forum reg called DarkNoctus, goes by Grump now. Lucky enough to call him a good friend irl. 

It's posted on the previous page, but here it is again. More hardrock than metal, and the singing isn't amazing, but I'm really proud of the guy for churning it out. Plan on buying a physical copy when he gets them in (and then forcing him to sign it)

I remember DarkNoctus from the old metal thread. Dude was pretty cool, though my tastes in music weren't what they are now, so I don't think we really agreed much there. Early FAF I didn't care much for screamy metal.

at everything i snipped:

Good advice. Though my upper pallet I mean like the roof of my mouth. Dunno what that's called. Regardless, I'll see how I sit come Thursday and go from there. I can't be too concerned since I'm still drinking whiskey straight (friend came over so it's not my fault this time.)

Will check that song out soon!

5 hours ago, Conker said:

It's posted on the previous page, but here it is again. More hardrock than metal, and the singing isn't amazing, but I'm really proud of the guy for churning it out. Plan on buying a physical copy when he gets them in (and then forcing him to sign it)

I remember DarkNoctus from the old metal thread. Dude was pretty cool, though my tastes in music weren't what they are now, so I don't think we really agreed much there. Early FAF I didn't care much for screamy metal.

at everything i snipped:

Good advice. Though my upper pallet I mean like the roof of my mouth. Dunno what that's called. Regardless, I'll see how I sit come Thursday and go from there. I can't be too concerned since I'm still drinking whiskey straight (friend came over so it's not my fault this time.)

Will check that song out soon!

Ooh, i agree about the vocals. Shame as it was going quite well until then. Really liked the sparse intro. Might not listen to the entire thing due to those vocals but it seems promising. Is there an instrumental version of that album out there anywhere?

Nah he eats glass and fucks handfuls of his own shit, he's a terrible person. Fun to get drunk with though. Massive fan of black metal, ambient doom and post rock and if he posted stuff here you'd be exposed to a lot you likely wouldn't stumble across otherwise. Generally likes his stuff haunting and sparse.

Hmm, honestly i have no idea what would cause pressure in that area. Never anything i've experienced but i'd guess you're doing something odd there. And you can never be concerned as long as you're drinking straight Whiskey, Rum is objectively superior though. ;)

Also this is amazing:

Really need to explore more of Enslaved's later stuff.

14 hours ago, KyryK said:

Ooh, i agree about the vocals. Shame as it was going quite well until then. Really liked the sparse intro. Might not listen to the entire thing due to those vocals but it seems promising. Is there an instrumental version of that album out there anywhere?

There is, actually! https://rockyowitz.bandcamp.com/album/the-musings-of-balance-instrumental

Edit: Got around to that funeral doom metal song above. I'm beginning to really grow on the idea that metal can be super atmospheric and ambient, even with vocals. Normally i'd expect just instrumental stuff from that kind of thing, but eh, mixing the vox that way can work pretty well if you know what to expect.

Song was cool. Checking out that Enslaved song now too, and enjoying it.

Edited by Conker

4 hours ago, Conker said:

There is, actually! https://rockyowitz.bandcamp.com/album/the-musings-of-balance-instrumental

Edit: Got around to that funeral doom metal song above. I'm beginning to really grow on the idea that metal can be super atmospheric and ambient, even with vocals. Normally i'd expect just instrumental stuff from that kind of thing, but eh, mixing the vox that way can work pretty well if you know what to expect.

Song was cool. Checking out that Enslaved song now too, and enjoying it.

Ah, thank you. Bookmarked it for later.

For me i tend to lose focus if music doesn't have a strong beat and drive to it but some atmospheric stuff can really lead you on some fantastic emotional journeys. Here's something Grump's shown me that almost brought me to tears when i first heard it:

Glad you like Ahab. The album that's from, The Call of the Wretched Sea, is a masterpiece as far as i'm concerned. I can't listen to it often but whenever i do it always brings me to fantastically strange places emotionally, it's difficult to describe. Can't speak much for Enslaved as i haven't explored them much, their earlier stuff was straight up Black Metal iirc but they've gotten a lot more interesting since then.

13 hours ago, weirdfox said:

Hmm, some nice new bands here :D I generally listen to the less screaming, and more lyrical songs. Stuff like Ayreon, Sabaton, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica etc.

Although I now have a new fondness for Ladybaby O_o

Iced Earth are a band I really should dive more into. I have their latest album, Plagues of Babylon, and it's so fucking good! Not sure why I haven't looked at their backlog.

What's your favorite of theirs?

Also, Sonata Artica are fun. I saw them live about a month ago and they put on a killer show. I'm tempted to go buy their setlist, since I've never been blown away by a full album of theirs, but they do have some really awesome songs. "I Have a Right" is awesome.

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Iced Earth are a band I really should dive more into. I have their latest album, Plagues of Babylon, and it's so fucking good! Not sure why I haven't looked at their backlog.

What's your favorite of theirs?

Also, Sonata Artica are fun. I saw them live about a month ago and they put on a killer show. I'm tempted to go buy their setlist, since I've never been blown away by a full album of theirs, but they do have some really awesome songs. "I Have a Right" is awesome.

I vastly prefer Horror Show or Something Wicked This way Comes. Horror show songs are based on the old horror movies, always awesome

Also found a new song that I like oO

Gojira - A sight to behold

Some guys I met online put out a doom metal song which can be found here

https://sunfather.bandcamp.com/releases

I don't know dick all about doom metal, so I dunno if this is them doing it right or wrong. Not sure how much I totally like it either. Vocals could be mixed a bit louder/clearer. Instrumental is kinda cool though maybe a bit droneish. I think that's the point?

But thought I'd share.

Also, so I blew my vocal chords out last week and then this week was hit with a bad cold, which made my throat feel even better. Haven't gotten back to really trying anything yet. Was sorta playing with sounds the other day and found something that...I don't think is right. Comes from too high up in my throat, I think. Almost the direct back of it. Also, I can't fathom how I'd make words out of that noise :P It isn't from my vocal chords that I can tell though.

The search continues.

On 16/04/2016 at 7:39 PM, Conker said:

Some guys I met online put out a doom metal song which can be found here

https://sunfather.bandcamp.com/releases

I don't know dick all about doom metal, so I dunno if this is them doing it right or wrong. Not sure how much I totally like it either. Vocals could be mixed a bit louder/clearer. Instrumental is kinda cool though maybe a bit droneish. I think that's the point?

But thought I'd share.

Also, so I blew my vocal chords out last week and then this week was hit with a bad cold, which made my throat feel even better. Haven't gotten back to really trying anything yet. Was sorta playing with sounds the other day and found something that...I don't think is right. Comes from too high up in my throat, I think. Almost the direct back of it. Also, I can't fathom how I'd make words out of that noise :P It isn't from my vocal chords that I can tell though.

The search continues.

Ohh fuck. They are doing it right dude, Black Doom with a bit of a Stoner vibe. Pretty much everything i love all put together, oh God it just keeps getting better. For the sound they're going for the vocals seem fine in the mix, hazy and eclipsed by the noise. Thank you for sharing man.

Ah, shit. Rest as much as you can, i wouldn't recommend screaming until you've gotten over your cold. If you PM me a clip of the sound you don't think is right i can tell you if it is, mmmmmmight just be the start of a black metal rasp (depending on the pitch) but i won't know if i don't hear it.

Also, no one's posted Triptykon yet, this is a crime.

6 hours ago, KyryK said:

Ohh fuck. They are doing it right dude, Black Doom with a bit of a Stoner vibe. Pretty much everything i love all put together, oh God it just keeps getting better. For the sound they're going for the vocals seem fine in the mix, hazy and eclipsed by the noise. Thank you for sharing man.

Ah, shit. Rest as much as you can, i wouldn't recommend screaming until you've gotten over your cold. If you PM me a clip of the sound you don't think is right i can tell you if it is, mmmmmmight just be the start of a black metal rasp (depending on the pitch) but i won't know if i don't hear it.

Also, no one's posted Triptykon yet, this is a crime.

Awesome! Glad you like it. They'll hopefully have a full album out before the year is done, and I'm hoping if I buy it, they'll sign my copy since I kinda know the one guitarist.

Yeah. That cold turned into a sinus infection (still have it and god the green mucus! If it isn't gone by next Monday or Tuesday I'll probably have to go in and get some antibiotics or something. Be over two weeks by that point)

Goal is to, when my sinuses aren't hating me, just lay down and breathe in and out a bunch and hopefully I'll trigger something. I'll fucking find them goddamnit!

Also, I'm digging this song so far. Also also, that album artwork looks like it's H.R. Giger. I'd stake money that it is :P

Radio introduced me to a new metalish band yesterday and I'm pretty hooked

In other news, my sinus infection is gone and my throat is no longer broken. Back at learning how to scream. Still not sure I got it, but I also think part of what I was doing wrong was not breathing with my gut enough, so I was forcing my vocal chords that way. Also, if I'm on the right track, I kinda have a very shitty, tenor-sounding midshout which is kinda lame :P

On 21/04/2016 at 10:50 PM, Conker said:

Awesome! Glad you like it. They'll hopefully have a full album out before the year is done, and I'm hoping if I buy it, they'll sign my copy since I kinda know the one guitarist.

Yeah. That cold turned into a sinus infection (still have it and god the green mucus! If it isn't gone by next Monday or Tuesday I'll probably have to go in and get some antibiotics or something. Be over two weeks by that point)

Goal is to, when my sinuses aren't hating me, just lay down and breathe in and out a bunch and hopefully I'll trigger something. I'll fucking find them goddamnit!

Also, I'm digging this song so far. Also also, that album artwork looks like it's H.R. Giger. I'd stake money that it is :P

Lovely, when the album's out post a link man. Would love to hear more of what they can do.

Aaaaand you're correct, the lead singer of Triptykon/Celtic Frost had a good relationship with Giger iirc. He'd been designing their album covers since the 80s.

On 25/04/2016 at 10:48 PM, Conker said:

Radio introduced me to a new metalish band yesterday and I'm pretty hooked

In other news, my sinus infection is gone and my throat is no longer broken. Back at learning how to scream. Still not sure I got it, but I also think part of what I was doing wrong was not breathing with my gut enough, so I was forcing my vocal chords that way. Also, if I'm on the right track, I kinda have a very shitty, tenor-sounding midshout which is kinda lame :P

Hail the Apocalypse is a good song but beyond that i haven't been able to get into Avatar much, suck a fantastic riff running through that song.

Aaaaaand good. Seriously, record something and send me a link. It'd be good to see how you're progressing.

@Rabbit Head Now...you've got some taste man. That Unexpect song was fantastic, never heard a combination of Metal and Dark Cabaret before. Here's some stuff you might like.

(it's at this point where i got carried away with myself and just started looking up interesting bands i like >_>)

(i regret nothing!)

18 hours ago, KyryK said:

Aaaaaand good. Seriously, record something and send me a link. It'd be good to see how you're progressing.

Will do at some point, though I want to be fully sure I know what I'm doing first, kinda. I dunno. Fuck I'll just do it on like Monday or something when I have the house to myself.

Also, it's such horseshit. Told my bro about these, he watches one video, comes back and has it down. Sounds fine and he says he can do about half an album before he gets tired, though it doesn't hurt.

"WELL HOW DO YOU DO IT?"

"I dunno. I just kinda do. Like it's really hard to explain what's going on."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Will check out them songs later when I got the basement free. Haven't heard of any of those bands, so I'm hoping I find something to fall in love with. As if I need more music this year. Goddamn!

On 30/04/2016 at 3:56 PM, Conker said:

Will do at some point, though I want to be fully sure I know what I'm doing first, kinda. I dunno. Fuck I'll just do it on like Monday or something when I have the house to myself.

Also, it's such horseshit. Told my bro about these, he watches one video, comes back and has it down. Sounds fine and he says he can do about half an album before he gets tired, though it doesn't hurt.

"WELL HOW DO YOU DO IT?"

"I dunno. I just kinda do. Like it's really hard to explain what's going on."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Will check out them songs later when I got the basement free. Haven't heard of any of those bands, so I'm hoping I find something to fall in love with. As if I need more music this year. Goddamn!

Hahaha, your brother sounds like me. It just comes naturally to some people, and it can be really difficult to try and explain the process because of that. Don't worry if you're doing it wrong, i know how performance anxiety feels, but if you share them as they currently are i can at least tell you if you're on the right track. I haven't heard nearly enough of Shining (there's a Swedish Shining and a Norwegian one, they're the Norwegians) or Havohej. As for Opium Warlords...We Meditate Under the Pussy in the Sky isn't the best album but it certainly has it's interesting moments. The others though are all fantastic, Arcturus and Serious Beak would be my pick of the bunch but that's only because i haven't heard enough Lesbian.

Also, for no reason other than Doom:

On 4/29/2016 at 2:38 PM, KyryK said:

@Rabbit Head Now...you've got some taste man. That Unexpect song was fantastic, never heard a combination of Metal and Dark Cabaret before. Here's some stuff you might like.

(it's at this point where i got carried away with myself and just started looking up interesting bands i like >_>)

(i regret nothing!)

I'm going to have to get more in depth with all these, but I'm enjoying BlackJazz. 

Tell me what you think of these guys.

On 30/04/2016 at 0:45 AM, Kosha said:

Thought you guys might find this interesting:

Now...thank you. Listening to Wagakki Band right now and....this is something special. Need to get on to Cthonic soon, haven't heard much from them and i'd completely forgotten about them. Skinflint too, they seemed to have some promise...And that Metal Documentary. Damn i'm going to be busy for the next couple of hours.

@Rabbit Head I'll listen to them soon man, as you can see i've found myself with quite a musical backlog...

On 4/30/2016 at 7:45 PM, Kosha said:

Thought you guys might find this interesting:

I like how the entire world map is shades of yellow, blue, green....

...and then Scandinavia is all red as fuck! That's because best metal comes from Northern Europe.

Edit: Also, the video gets one band name wrong. It's Chthonic, not Ochthonic.

22 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

I'm going to have to get more in depth with all these, but I'm enjoying BlackJazz. 

Tell me what you think of these guys.

Oh God, now this is several shades of interesting. So far it's managed to bring Primus, Devin Townsend and Godflesh into my mind. I'm loving this bass playing.

I can't adequately describe this as anything other than something i like, gonna be checking out a lot more of their stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Aaaaaaand now for something completely different:

I love Devin Townsend. From Strapping Young Lad to his solo stuff. His works ranges from harder than death metal to soft and melodic. His body of work is guaranteed to have one thing that will appeal to somebody.

This song in particular is pretty catchy, but also very hard. 

It also must be noted that Devin is clearly trying to kill his drummer. 

Got All Hail the Yeti's new one and have been listening to that pretty heavily. I'm...somewhat disappointed with it even though it's by no means a bad album. hell, it's pretty good. But fuck their first album was this accidental find that managed to hit my top ten, so I was insanely excited for this one, and it's maybe not as good. They've softened up a hair--which really isn't much of a problem--but in a formulaic way. Mostly a "screamy verse" and "clean chorus" when it used to be about 90% screaming from start to finish with some cleans thrown in to keep ya grounded.

The choruses all kinda sound the same. Not entirely, but there's not much variation in the notes.

Babymetal's new album isn't as unpredictable or insane as their first one, which also kinda bums me out even if I still really like it. Too much powermetal in it though.

Hell, even Drowning Pool's newest isn't as good as their last one with their new singer. Once again, I do love the album and listen to it pretty often, but it's a small step down from their last one.

Hoping Gojira doesn't disappoint me too ._. they're all I have left this year as far as metal is concerned.

Alsoalso, still can't find my fucking false chords and might just take a break from the whole thing and start working out when I get home instead of practicing this. Sick of failing at this on a daily basis, especially when everyone doing tutorials and shit calls it easy. Just fucking frustrating to hell and back.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

THANK YOU for summing up my main beef with that album. 

Ha! It's kinda silly though, because most people want cohesive albums, and this one certainly is that. It doesn't sound like a shotgun of metal genres/ideas like the first, but goddamn is that what made the first one so amazing.

I mean, this one DOES have some folk metal and powermetal, which is cool, but then it has like six more powermetal tunes :(

On 5/3/2016 at 8:58 PM, Conker said:

This just in: Wagakki Band fucking rule but their albums aren't on Amazon which is horseshit. Guess I have to get a prepaid Apple card :(

Gotta keep diving into Chthonic too. Like what I've heard.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch_drd_B01BO55Y6O?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=WagakkiBand&index=digital-music&search-type=ss

22 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

I would say that sounds more like punk rock meets Irish pub music, not metal (although metal did come from punk, so there's that). Is that the band that had the "Now that's what I call steampunk" album and had to change it?

A steampunk metal band would be pretty nice.

Ah ha. So on Facebook a meme page posted a five finger death punch image. And I predicted that there'd be a huge amount of drama over whether they were metal or not, if they were good or not. And, with bucket of popcorn in hand, I checked, and sure enough the comments were filled with bullshit. Someone even compared 5fdp with nickleback... lolz

What exactly is it that makes people hate a certain band? In the case of nickleback (which I consider hard rock myself) I find some of their songs okay, and they're not terrible, just average.

So why all the loathing towards 5fdp? Why post after post after post of "they're not metal they're hard rock" "No they are metal you idiot" or is it just that FB is filled with morons? I have liked some of 5fdp, it's the kind of music I like: angry, aggressive, hateful, hard guitars, violent sounding music. I consider it metal myself. I don't care to waste my time arguing with idiots on FB for no reason. But I do wonder what separates "hard rock" from "metal". There's so much crossover it's hard to say. Is it that having a guitar solo makes it metal? I thought so myself until I realized Beat It has a guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen and that's pop rock. And there's so much mixing of genres, and bands doing more than one genre at times, or doing something in-between two genres and starting a whole new genre (deathcore maybe?).

But no, I don't hate 5fdp, I like them a lot, and I don't care.