Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

47 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Ah ha. So on Facebook a meme page posted a five finger death punch image. And I predicted that there'd be a huge amount of drama over whether they were metal or not, if they were good or not. And, with bucket of popcorn in hand, I checked, and sure enough the comments were filled with bullshit. Someone even compared 5fdp with nickleback... lolz

What exactly is it that makes people hate a certain band? In the case of nickleback (which I consider hard rock myself) I find some of their songs okay, and they're not terrible, just average.

So why all the loathing towards 5fdp? Why post after post after post of "they're not metal they're hard rock" "No they are metal you idiot" or is it just that FB is filled with morons? I have liked some of 5fdp, it's the kind of music I like: angry, aggressive, hateful, hard guitars, violent sounding music. I consider it metal myself. I don't care to waste my time arguing with idiots on FB for no reason. But I do wonder what separates "hard rock" from "metal". There's so much crossover it's hard to say. Is it that having a guitar solo makes it metal? I thought so myself until I realized Beat It has a guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen and that's pop rock. And there's so much mixing of genres, and bands doing more than one genre at times, or doing something in-between two genres and starting a whole new genre (deathcore maybe?).

But no, I don't hate 5fdp, I like them a lot, and I don't care.

Tis a question for the ages, my friend. I'm a HUGE FFDP fan. Seen 'em live three times now and love all of their albums--though some are certainly better than others >_>

I've always figured it's a popularity thing. Every time I get into metal discussions with people it becomes a pissing match of showing off the most obscure bands you know. They aren't metal if everyone knows who they are! They aren't metal if you hear em on the radio every day. It's fucking nonsense, but it's the best I can come up with.

Wiki casts FFDP as groove metal. It's what I go with since wiki never lies ever.

I don't really know what the difference is between hard rock and metal. I kinda go with my gut feeling on it. I consider the first three or so Godsmack albums to be metal. Their newest album and their fourth album are hard rock. It's the same band, but I guess less aggression? But then, not all metal NEEDS to be aggressive.

As to Nickelback, I really like them. They're pop rock and they do everything I want with their pop sound. It's mostly empty fun, which I'll gladly take on the off chance I'm looking for it. I understand that they're kind of bland and derivative, but I don't think that warrants the LEGION OF INTERNET HATE they get. It's just a joke at this point.

It's been a while, so a couple of my quotes will be from a while back. Sorry if this bothers anyone.

On 3/3/2016 at 1:35 AM, Endless/Nameless said:

The only metal I can really get into, aside from a few Metallica songs, is classic Black Sabbath. I'm not fully sure it's fair to classify them as "metal" really, but anyway you guys should really give this one a listen (or hopefully, a relisten):

Just be sure to listen to the end because it's actually a suite of a few smaller songs.

If Black Sabbath isn't metal, then nothing is.

On 3/31/2016 at 5:21 AM, Conker said:

So Moonsorrow put out a tune last week. I don't recall it being shared.

I think it maybe meanders a bit, but on the whole, i'ts pretty cool.

Suden Tunti is a cool song, but definitely not Moonsorrow at their best. Kind of feels like a weaker Kivenkantaja and definitely pales in comparison to the first two songs on the new album, which rule.

On 3/16/2016 at 0:31 AM, KyryK said:

Cheers man. I like quite a but that would throw some metalheads into a mindless, frothing rage myself. Good music is good music, regardless of genre. What kind of stuff are you into?

Like you wrote, good music is good music. I have my leanings, one of which is most certainly metal, but basically anything goes. I could list some stuff, but that would probably just end up being too random and misleading.

On 5/23/2016 at 4:16 AM, Crazy Lee said:

Ah ha. So on Facebook a meme page posted a five finger death punch image. And I predicted that there'd be a huge amount of drama over whether they were metal or not, if they were good or not. And, with bucket of popcorn in hand, I checked, and sure enough the comments were filled with bullshit. Someone even compared 5fdp with nickleback... lolz

What exactly is it that makes people hate a certain band? In the case of nickleback (which I consider hard rock myself) I find some of their songs okay, and they're not terrible, just average.

So why all the loathing towards 5fdp? Why post after post after post of "they're not metal they're hard rock" "No they are metal you idiot" or is it just that FB is filled with morons? I have liked some of 5fdp, it's the kind of music I like: angry, aggressive, hateful, hard guitars, violent sounding music. I consider it metal myself. I don't care to waste my time arguing with idiots on FB for no reason. But I do wonder what separates "hard rock" from "metal". There's so much crossover it's hard to say. Is it that having a guitar solo makes it metal? I thought so myself until I realized Beat It has a guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen and that's pop rock. And there's so much mixing of genres, and bands doing more than one genre at times, or doing something in-between two genres and starting a whole new genre (deathcore maybe?).

But no, I don't hate 5fdp, I like them a lot, and I don't care.

I think a lot of this is because the genre of metal is just really holy to some and they desperately want it to only include the bands they like. Personally I don't think there's a justifiable reason for excluding Five Finger Death Punch from the genre. They're metal, just really bad metal.

And, as I have nothing new and relevant to post, I'll just post this. Because I just remembered it existed and it's awesome.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, feraleks said:

Suden Tunti is a cool song, but definitely not Moonsorrow at their best. Kind of feels like a weaker Kivenkantaja and definitely pales in comparison to the first two songs on the new album, which rule.

I've gone through what's available on youtube and will probably pick up their new album. It's got a cool sound. My bro found it all kind of boring, but oh well. :P

I think a lot of this is because the genre of metal is just really holy to some and they desperately want it to only include the bands they like.

I agree with this. Some people don't seem to think you can like a genre and dislike bands within that genre. Crazy shit.

Pretty happy with how this thread has gone, considering some metalheads can be the most obnoxious people on the fucking planet.

Not really into Djent, but I rather like this song. I especially love the rolling of notes he does during the choruses. And the fact that you can understand his growling... not every singer can do that.

Is your djent tuned low? Does it wobble to the flow?
Can you play it like a robot, can you play nothing but "ohh"s?
Can you play each of your songs using only one hand?
Is your djent tuned low?

Also, an amusing little "Choose your path" videos I've been checking out. How do you djent with mayo?

• 2 weeks later...

I did grab the new Moonsorrow album and am infatuated with it. It's got such a cool, almost ambient sound as it eases into all kinds of different places. Whole album feels like a journey. Have only listened to it as somewhat background noise (playing video games or editing shit), so hopefully tomorrow I'll get around to just tossing headphones on and enjoying it.

But yeah. Huge fan.

I also think I for realzies nailed down my false chords, though my throat has been sore off and on since I started. That MIGHT be allergies, so I'm gonna hold off for a few days and try again for a bit. I'm then going to record what it sounds like so if I'm doing it wrong, maybe those of you who know how to do it right can offer pointers.

It sounds cool though, and I scared the fuck out of my cat with it :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Newt said:

Newest Gojira album is pretty solid.

I like it. It's very ambient, and the vocals almost drone when they aren't being screamed. Album isn't what I really go to Gojira for, but I'm not unhappy with the purchase. Been listening to it fairly regularly.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:34 PM, LazerMaster5 said:

Lamb of God is fucking awesome. I don't know why I only started listening to them a few months ago.

Same. Was this year that I jumped on that bandwagon and I feel so silly.

ON a very different note, fuck I love folk metal

Maybe y'all can help me out. Earlier in the year, or perhaps late last year, I stumbled upon a powermetal album with a red dragon on the front. Background colors where blue and white, I think. It wasn't very long for a power metal album. Maybe 47 minutes at most.

I quite liked it and want to listen to it again, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or who it was by. At the time it seemed kind of obscure--very few views on youtube--and I don't remember what fucked up combo of songs I was listening to for Youtube to tell me to try it out.

Edit: Band is named Twilight Force. Album came out in 2014.

On 19.5.2016 at 6:23 AM, ChaosGate said:

Im a big Sabaton fan. I love my music that deals with history especially war. and I do enjoy Joakim Brodén vocals

Has man gone insane? So few will remain, who find a way, to live one more day.

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Power metal album with a dragon... yea, like 90% of power metal albums. Were there knights or vikings on it as well?

Turned out to be a band called Twilight Force. Album was actually from 2014 so I was wrong about that. Actually it may have been older.

Fun album, but not fun enough to buy.

Children of Bodom is awesome. From their power metal-esque roots to their aggressive style of more recent, they are very well rounded. Alexi Laiho is to COB as Dave Mustaine is to Megadeth, from writing all the music to playing guitar and being the frontman. I need more of their music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 7:52 AM, LazerMaster5 said:

Children of Bodom is awesome.

Not really a fan for whatever reason, but I did end up seeing them live at a festival a while back. Had some epic walls of death, actually got trampled by a bunch of people in the last one all Jon Snow-like. Man, that was awesome.

New Opeth. It's good, obviously, but hasn't exactly blown me away. Still psyched to hear the album when it comes out in the fall.

Saw an acoustic set from Bobaflex last night while drunk and on a boat. Was one of the coolest shows ever. Hung out with the band after and got em to sign some merch.

Put an order in for Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection earlier in the week. Should have that on Friday. Some good ol' Satan-worshiping black metal.

Carnifex is my latest obsession. The perfect blend of death metal and deathcore, their music is flat-out badass. 

I only wish I was able to catch more of their set at Summer Slaughter, but an unsuccessful attempt at trying to get food cut into my time significantly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Living and dying laughing and crying
once you have seen it you will never be the same
life in the fast lane is just how it seems
hard and it is heavy dirty and mean
Motorbreath
its how i live my life
i can't take it any other way
motorbreath
the sign of living fast
it is going to take
your breath away
Don't stop for nothing its full speed or nothing
i am taking down you know whatever is in my way
getting your kicks as you are shooting the line
sending the shivers up and down your spine
Motorbreath
its how i live my life
motorbreath
the sign of living fast
it is going to take
your breath away
Those people who tell you not to take chances
they are all missing on what life is about
you only live once so take hold of the chance
don't end up like others the same song and dance
Motorbreath
its how i live my life
motorbreath
the sign of living fast
it is going to take
your breath away

• 3 weeks later...

So I hear a song by Atilla today. And I'm thinking "Wow, that sounds a lot like Emmure." And I do happen to like Emmure. So I go online to figure out what kind of music or genre that Atilla is, and first response is "Metalcore." Honestly, I'd call them more Deathcore, which is the other answer I got. But it got me thinking something that's bothered me a bit. How so much is called Metalcore, and with bands and songs that sound completely different.

For example, take bands like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Bullet for my Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, Trivium. All great bands, all bands I like, have traditional powerful metal riffs, guitar solos, ect. Sound a lot like mainstream metal.

Then you have "Metalcore" bands like We Came As Romans, Bring me the Horizon, and stuff that has younger bandmembers, more angsy/emo lyrics, and sound like the kind of stuff you'd hear on an alternative station. So I like to call that "Alt metalcore", "alternative metalcore", or just "alternative metal".

Then there's Emmure and Atilla and similar bands. Growling, lots of breakdowns, very heavy gutar riffs with heavy indistinct notes, electronic distortion and some electronic stuff. I wouldn't even call that metalcore.

So, either people just aren't good at picking genres, bands borrow from different genres or experiment too much so it's hard to put them into one category, or maybe I just don't know the genres enough to figure it out. Or maybe metal has too many fucking genres and we need to stop labeling shit.

I think it's the last one. I also think that when it comes to bands that get a lot of radio play, people like to lump them into a few genres so they can go "I love metal except that genre that gets all the radio play because I AM BRUTAL"

It's like Nu Metal. Tons of bands fall into that, but none of them sound the same. Korn and Linkin Park are not in the same genre. But both came out in the 90's and people like to shit on them, so fuck it. Let's throw 'em together!

Like, I wouldn't consider Trivium metalcore, though at this point, I dunno what really defines the genre other than people going "I like my metal like I like my apples: without the core!" and then you label a bunch of mainstream stuff.

It's easy to lump stuff you don't really listen to together, a lot of things can sound similar if you don't even pay proper attention. That said, I have a pretty strong dislike for all of the bands I recognize from the two posts above and it's got nothing to do with subgenres or popularity, just personal preference. Disliking something just because it's mainstream or whatever sucks, but assuming the only reason someone doesn't like something is because they're elitist ain't no better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up for power metal! Been listening to Stratovirus lately. Twilight Force too, or what's on youtube, though I don't really care for their new album. It's like they aren't even trying with their lyrics, just normal power metal horseshit, and the mixing is awful.

On 9/22/2016 at 8:11 PM, Crazy Lee said:

So I hear a song by Atilla today. And I'm thinking "Wow, that sounds a lot like Emmure." And I do happen to like Emmure. So I go online to figure out what kind of music or genre that Atilla is, and first response is "Metalcore." Honestly, I'd call them more Deathcore, which is the other answer I got. But it got me thinking something that's bothered me a bit. How so much is called Metalcore, and with bands and songs that sound completely different.

For example, take bands like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Bullet for my Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, Trivium. All great bands, all bands I like, have traditional powerful metal riffs, guitar solos, ect. Sound a lot like mainstream metal.

Then you have "Metalcore" bands like We Came As Romans, Bring me the Horizon, and stuff that has younger bandmembers, more angsy/emo lyrics, and sound like the kind of stuff you'd hear on an alternative station. So I like to call that "Alt metalcore", "alternative metalcore", or just "alternative metal".

Then there's Emmure and Atilla and similar bands. Growling, lots of breakdowns, very heavy gutar riffs with heavy indistinct notes, electronic distortion and some electronic stuff. I wouldn't even call that metalcore.

So, either people just aren't good at picking genres, bands borrow from different genres or experiment too much so it's hard to put them into one category, or maybe I just don't know the genres enough to figure it out. Or maybe metal has too many fucking genres and we need to stop labeling shit.

Atilla is tryhard edgelord garbage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So my current poison has been some good ol fashioned AMON AMARTH. Picked up Twilight of the Thunder God at my local comic book store because they had a copy, and fuck me is that a great album.

Next on the list is Ayreon, which youtube told me to check at some point and OH MY GOD GUYS

This will very likely be my album of the year. If this is any indication of it, holy shit.

HOWEVER THERE IS ANOTHER

Wintersun will finally be putting out their third album this year. It isn't Time II. More info on that can be found here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wintersun-crowdfunding--3/

I'm excited as hell regardless.

Otherwise uh...new Soar album is really good. I haven't really purchased much music this year. Varaang Nord are worth a look. Russian folk metal. Mostly just excited for Wintersun and Ayreon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been jammin to a ton of shit lately.

First would be that new Ayreon album. It's FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING AWESOME! Hour and a half concept album about scifi shit and evil robots. Love it. Some great power metal stuff, some great folk stuff, and I guess i'ts prog which is cool too. It's great though.

Second would be Battle Beast, which have an oldschool vibe but not in a cheesy stupid way. It's just really good music.

Next up is Lord of the Lost, which I guess is like industrial + goth + some techno but not that much. Really good stuff. Love the dude's voice. Gonna limit this post to one link though so you'll have to find that :P

Then comes more Veldes, as they put out a new album this year. It's...atmospheric black metal. It's good stuff, I quite like it, but it's a bit of the same as his last album. I'll probably grab it as it's pretty peaceful given how depressing and empty (tonewise) it is.

Then Shadow of Intent put out a new album for those who like deathcore. They went and got themselves a full band, so the drums are real now. Not as fast as their last effort, but still good. Vocalist is still a fucking demon. They put some orchestral stuff in too, so that sets it apart pretty well.

Then then there's more Iced Earth out this year! THey got three tunes on Youtube now and all are quite good. Fans keep bitching about vocalists and tone and whatever, but since I only know them from their previous album, I'm staying the fuck away from the battle. I do want more though, so that's rad.

And youtube told me I'd like this goofy band called Wind Rose. I'ts power/folk metal about dwarves and shit I guess

On 5/29/2017 at 11:51 PM, Mandragoras said:

Oh, good, a metal thread. Somewhere I can proselytise about Jute Gyte with the possibility that someone might actually care.

Obscure one man black metal? Well fuck yes, will be checking him out when i can find the time/energy. May have to start contributing random shit to this thread myself now that i know it could be appreciated. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [null] said:

Obscure one man black metal? Well fuck yes, will be checking him out when i can find the time/energy. May have to start contributing random shit to this thread myself now that i know it could be appreciated. :P

I highly recommend his latest full-length, Perdurance, as I really do think it's his best, but it's also incredibly dense and alien, even more so than his earlier work with the possible exception of its immediate predecessor Ship of Theseus. His back catalogue is really deep and diverse, so there isn't really a "right" or "wrong" place to start, but working backwards might be prudent here. It is worth noting that from Discontinuities on he uses a quartertone-fretted guitar, so there's a *lot* of weird melodic and harmonic stuff going on in his post-2012 material, but all of his work is pretty weird regardless.

Another fellow in a similar vein that springs to mind is Book of Sand. His early work is not entirely to my taste but his vocals are incredibly raw and the way that he infuses traditional acoustic instruments from various folk and classical traditions into his work without falling into the usual clichés is really neat. I'm particularly fond of Mourning Star and The Face of the Deep.

In any case, I'm really glad to know that someone else here shares at least some of my weird musical proclivities. My first love is the extreme end of doom, but black metal is so full of wild possibilities and so often willing to embrace them that it's kind of irresistible.

On June 2, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Conker said:

I'll give him a look too. Veldes is one-man black metal and that guy's pretty wicked. If it works once, it can work again!

Depends on what you're looking for. What I've heard of Veldes' work is quite good, but it's *very* different in tone from what Jute Gyte or Book of Sand offer. A closer comparison there would be the solo black/doom project Mizmor, which I would also gladly recommend, but hey, I'm all for people going outside their musical comfort zones in search of new and exciting sensations. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

That was pretty fun, although the music felt less death metal than... groove metal, I guess? Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I was expecting. For a second I thought it was going to go full-on third-wave deathcore, which maybe would have been funnier, but alack.

...I am so tempted to just start a massive derail about the semantics of the term "deathcore" and the massive gap in creativity and diversity between the genre's antecedents and later exponents, but I expect I'm the only person who cares enough about this subject to want to say anything.