Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

To be fair, I did ask quite kindly that people link to songs instead of embedding all kinds of videos. So you know, only yourself to blame.

I really, really want to see them live. They were headlining a festival this year, but I couldn't make the day. Wound up going to Heart instead though, which was pretty cool.

TBH I'm not even sure how to do that anymore because as soon as I move on from the link it becomes a video.

TBH I'm not even sure how to do that anymore because as soon as I move on from the link it becomes a video.

In the post window, at the top bar with all the things you can do, there's a little icon that looks like an interlocking paperclip. It's next to the underlined U. Click that and paste the URL. There are probably other ways as well, with fancy forum code, but I find it easier to use the Link button.

Watching them perform it live was breathtaking. Even at over 60 years old Rob Halford's still got it.

I thought that when I saw KISS perform at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo a few years ago, Either 2009 or 2010. It was a completely sold out show. Gene Simmons has to be around my father's age and he still puts on the makeup, those platform shoes, those spiked shoulders and jams for a few hours through their playlist.

The show was great. During Rock 'n' Roll All Night (And Party Everyday) he had the audience sing and only the drummer played. The sound of 65,000 people singing it like an army of Metal maniacs was ELECTRIC!  We were LOUDER than the band with their sound equipment!!!

I got caught up a bit in the moment, What it must be like to be guys who wrote a song some 40 years ago, while struggling and to hear a whole rabble of screaming fans (Some are second generation fans) who can sing YOUR SONG back at you!  I bet the experience is awesome to say the least.

Edited by Skylar Husky

I'm generally not too picky with my metal. I guess it depends on my mood at the time. But my favorite band ever has to be Alice in Chains. I've only discovered them 6 years ago, but I still love them. Even their newer stuff is solid, if not nearly as good with Layne. Of course, I think some people might debate if they're actually metal, since they tend to blend a lot of genres (Jar of Flies was amazing).

I love their demos too.
Alice In Chains - Junkhead (Demo)

Oh man, I quite liked that. Bagpipes in metal, and other instruments of that sort, are really cool.

Reminds me of "Last of the Wilds" by Nightwish. And a few other NIghtwish songs, if I'm being honest.

Holy fucking shit I love Nightwish. Will be seeing them in February of 2016 and I'm so god damned stoked!

i quite like nightwish as well..havent listened to them in a while though...

I have a fondness for powermetal. And symphonic metal. But especially symphonic powermetal. Gloryhammer, Hammerfall and Pathfinder are all a bit within the same area. Powerwolf is a slight bit heavier, and have darker lyrics but they fit more with a sort of "medieval metal" style, if that makes sense. Basically what you'd hear if you dropped a metal band into England in 1453.

Hammerfall!!! <3
Speaking of symphonic powermetal I'm a huge fan of Nightwish. Well, Nightwish with the original singer, Tarja. The other two singers are okay but she was the best.
Tell me I'm not the only Nightwish fan here?

Also some other symphonic metal bands, like Within Temptation, and Kamelot (if you'd call them Symphonic... I've heard them described that before).

Here's an awesome cover of one of my favorite Kamelot songs, Karma:

IT BEGINS

IT'S NOT A METAL THREAD UNLESS PEOPLE ARE BITCHING ABOUT THEIR FAVORITE GENRES BEING THE ONLY "REAL" METAL AND EVERYONE ELSE BEING POSERS. THIS THREAD IS COMPLETE.
Or as I like to call them, Metal hipsters.
"I liked metal before it was mainstream."
"I only like obscure bands."
"only 70s-80s metal is true metal."
"I only like death/black metal from the late 80s/early 90s...."
Any of these hit too close to home? Too bad.

The thing is, I like how metal has diversified because it allows something for everyone. Everyone's going to like and dislike something. And we could sit there and argue for ages about what is or isn't metal. Some might be legitimate arguments, like say Korn or Marilyn Manson, both of which I'm fans of. Or Disturbed, Godsmack, or Slipnot, which could be argued are more hard rock than metal. I'd say just like the music you like, and screw anyone else. I'd say it would be a little more civil around here if we're nicer to each others music preferences because we'll all like things someone else doesn't like. Also, let's keep the definition of "metal" around here a bit loose and broad so more people feel welcome here and the thread keeps going.

I'm probably one of the only ones around here that enjoys Metalcore stuff. I took a liking to stuff like Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, and Parkway Drive when I was in high school. I've also liked a bit of Arsonists Get All The Girls and Slipknot, but I dunno what kind of metal they are.

Like I was talking about above, Metalcore is one of those things I hear people say isn't "True" metal.

I could see this point from what I like to call "neo-metalcore" or "alt-metalcore" like Bring Me the Horizon or We Came as Romans, both of which I've heard described as "Metalcore". But when I think of metalcore I think of As I Lay Dying, which is definitely metal to me. Or the bands you listed above, which I've listened to (except for Arsonists).

I used to be like that too, hating any "extreme" metal and only listening to power metal.  A lot of Stratovarius, Helloween and Gamma Ray. Then I slowly started making myself listen to more death metal like Hypocrisy, and then I suddenly I developed a taste for black metal through Cradle of Filth(which I previously thought was the worst band ever).  Now I try to hunt down the most extreme, brutal stuff I can find.  I'm not sure how I made such a turnaround.  I guess it's an acquired taste.

I never liked death or black metal (or any other screamy or growly metal) until I heard an In Flames song, and I was like "I like this!" Then I got into Lamb of God and the rest was history.

Edited by Crazy Lee

Hammerfall!!! <3Speaking of symphonic powermetal I'm a huge fan of Nightwish. Well, Nightwish with the original singer, Tarja. The other two singers are okay but she was the best.

Nope, I'm a Nightwish fan as well. They do have some fairly dark lyrics, but it works for them. Sort of... Gothic Metal, I suppose?

Hammerfall!!! <3Speaking of symphonic powermetal I'm a huge fan of Nightwish. Well, Nightwish with the original singer, Tarja. The other two singers are okay but she was the best.

I'm a huge fan of Nightwish as well, though I jumped on with Annette, so she's probably my favorite of their vocalists. I'm one of those fans though that doesn't really care who is singing because I like all of them. Plus, Toumas does most of the music writing anyways, so as long as he's in the lead, it's a go for me! Imagenarium is such a wonderful, wonderful album, and Endless Forms is as well. I think Endless Forms is my current AOTY right now and I don't imagine that will change between now and December 31st.

Nightwish are one of the few bands that can damn near bring me to tears because of their lyrics and the delivery of them. "Turn Loose the Mermaids" hits me super hard because it reminds me of my late grandfather, and "Alpenglow" hits me hard as well, mostly because it's just a brilliant song about mortality that I can relate to pretty well.

Also, I agree wiht both of the bolded statements below:

The thing is, I like how metal has diversified because it allows something for everyone

. Everyone's going to like and dislike something. And we could sit there and argue for ages about what is or isn't metal. Some might be legitimate arguments, like say Korn or Marilyn Manson, both of which I'm fans of. Or Disturbed, Godsmack, or Slipnot, which could be argued are more hard rock than metal. I'd say just like the music you like, and screw anyone else. I'd say it would be a little more civil around here if we're nicer to each others music preferences because we'll all like things someone else doesn't like.

Also, let's keep the definition of "metal" around here a bit loose and broad so more people feel welcome here and the thread keeps going.
Edited by Conker

Indeed, metal is immensely diverse.

Actually, on that note, if you're a fan of Disturbed and especially of David Draiman, I suggest checking out "Device". It's a rather interesting project Draiman worked on in 2013, and it has a bunch of collaborations with other artists. 

I never liked death or black metal (or any other screamy or growly metal) until I heard an In Flames song, and I was like "I like this!" Then I got into Lamb of God and the rest was history.

In Flames are great, too.  Them, along with Soilwork, are probably the bands that eased me into growling vocals as well.

I still think Soilwork has the best balance of growl and clean vocals that I've heard.

SoilWork - Stabbing the Drama

This song is probably relevant to this fandom, too. :V

I feel like this belongs here.

Some claimed that metal sucks these days. Not true. But like with any other type of music, you do have to look past the surface to get to the good stuff.

Text based high fives for you man. I burnt out on Feg pretty quickly after listening to everything of theirs i could find in the space of about a month but that album's fantastic. Got my friend to obsess over it too, the first step to turning him to the dark path of furfaggotry...

I just noticed this thread is in "The Tube". What is there no forum for music?

Indeed, metal is immensely diverse.

Actually, on that note, if you're a fan of Disturbed and especially of David Draiman, I suggest checking out "Device". It's a rather interesting project Draiman worked on in 2013, and it has a bunch of collaborations with other artists. 

Already downloaded their album a couple years ago...

I feel like this belongs here.

Some claimed that metal sucks these days. Not true. But like with any other type of music, you do have to look past the surface to get to the good stuff.

This video is not available.

I don't know 1000 Metal bands, but Metal is still my favorite genre of music.

The subgenre I listen the most is probably Melodic death metal. In Flames, Wintersun, Before The Dawn (They're apparently called Wolfheart, now), Amon Amarth (More or less MDM, I think it's more... Viking Metal? Is that a thing?) Insomnium, Dark Tranquility, all that stuff.

I'm listening to that song at least twice a day, heh.

Edited by PhoenixDragon

I don't know 1000 Metal bands, but Metal is still my favorite genre of music.

The subgenre I listen the most is probably Melodic death metal. In Flames, Wintersun, Before The Dawn (They're apparently called Wolfheart, now), Amon Amarth (More or less MDM, I think it's more... Viking Metal? Is that a thing?) Insomnium, Dark Tranquility, all that stuff.

I'm listening to that song at least twice a day, heh.

It was the this thread on FAF that introduced me to Wintersun, and they've quickly become one of my favorite bands. It's for that reason that I started this one, actually. I hope that can happen for other people, discovering bands that they fall in love with.

"Sons of Winter and Stars" is legit my favorite song of all time now. Everything about it just takes my breath away, and I think Time 1 is one of my most listened to albums. I must have went through it once a day for like two solid months when I first found it.

"Winter Madness" is probably my second favorite song by them. It's so hard to not try and scream that chorus with him. It's so fucking epic.

edit: I like that In Flames song you posted, though I wish the vocals were mixed louder. I kinda feel like that's a problem with a lot of European metal I find. Amon Amarth have the same problem, and so do Equilibrium. Wintersun a bit too, actually. Can hardly hear the dude singing.

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

Hehe, does that make "Christian metal" an oxymoron :P

I dont really listen to anything regarding satanic themes, suicide, drugs, or the like so Im not into the deeper, darker parts of any music genre, or I rarely do. Guess Im a p***y :V.

Im not sure if what I listen to is considered metal especially considering the tons of subgenres, , I think the closest is Five Finger Death Punch among other modern artists. I think these are a bit further from metal but Im also big on A day to remember, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and recently a little of beartooth. (Blame google for categorizing)

Im just a hard rock fanatic, some of which may or may not fall into the metal genre.

I think this was discussed a page back but as far as vocals go I cant deal with too much harshness throught the entire song being song, I can do a bit of it but it just doesnt sound right throughout it. And for me vocals make or break the listening appeal of a particular band (imo) Im quite picky in that. However, as far as instrumental I could easily enjoy way more bands than I do.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

I dont really listen to anything regarding satanic themes, suicide, drugs, or the like so Im not into the deeper, darker parts of any music genre, or I rarely do. Guess Im a p***y :V.

Im not sure if what I listen to is considered metal especially considering the tons of subgenres, , I think the closest is Five Finger Death Punch among other modern artists. I think these are a bit further from metal but Im also big on A day to remember, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and recently a little of beartooth. (Blame google for categorizing)

Im just a hard rock fanatic, some of which may or may not fall into the metal genre.

I think this was discussed a page back but as far as vocals go I cant deal with too much harshness throught the entire song being song, I can do a bit of it but it just doesnt sound right throughout it. And for me vocals make or break the listening appeal of a particular band (imo) Im quite picky in that. However, as far as instrumental I could easily enjoy way more bands than I do.

The thread title is meant to be a joke.

I dig FFDP a lot. I've seen them live three times now, and they fucking kill it. Huge fan of The Wrong side of Heaven pt1 though Got Your Six, while a fine album, kinda feels a bit generic. Oh well. "Question Everything" is a killer song, as is "Boots and Blood."

I like A7X and BFMV as well.

Get out your seat and fucking headbang!

Holy shit that guitar work! Fucking amazing.

Tarot, Borknagar, and Arcturus are probably my favorite bands, I dunno if there's any one particular sub-genre I keep an eye on it's just one of those "I know it when I hear it" things.

Also I like pretty much everything by Arjen Lucassen even most of his stuff is cheesy as hell.

Some songs :V

• Like 1

Some really rad stuff in the last few posts <3 Enjoying these, especially Ensiferum or however that one is spelled. I know Jari used to be with them until fuckery happened, but that was a long time ago. I really need to check their stuff out though, since Time 2 ain't gonna happen anytime soon...or my lifetime :(

One band I stumbled upon not that long ago is Amaranthe. Radio played them late at night when our local station plays more metal, and I went and grabbed their latest album, Massive Addictive. It's super good! Very interesting sound, with three vocalists abouts and some digital stuff. Has a "poppy" feel, but I like it. Contrasts well with the harsher vocals when they show up.

"Drop Dead Cynical" by Amaranthe

last metal show i went to was at the fillmore

cannibal corpse and behemoth

get on my level

I'm not a fan of Cannibal Corpse :[ When I first heard about them, I looked into them, Laughed at their hyperbolic and gruesome album artwork, but wasn't much for their music.

Fuck though, I bet they got the crowds going wild!

Edited by Conker

Text based high fives for you man. I burnt out on Feg pretty quickly after listening to everything of theirs i could find in the space of about a month but that album's fantastic. Got my friend to obsess over it too, the first step to turning him to the dark path of furfaggotry...

High fives received and welcomed, not enough people know about Slough Feg. But I guess that just makes them even cooler.

And while I'm here, I might as well post some more stuff that's relevant to the forum in terms of the artwork (and even more so to the thread topic though lyrical content).

Edited by feraleks
  • Like 1

Was going to keep the vaguely furfaggy theme going by posting some Powerwolf but they're kinda shit and hearing Bloodbath (not a massive fan of death metal but those guys are good, cheers man) reminded me of something i actually like.

I'm not a fan of Cannibal Corpse :[ When I first heard about them, I looked into them, Laughed at their hyperbolic and gruesome album artwork, but wasn't much for their music.

Fuck though, I bet they got the crowds going wild!

even my lust for insanity and brutality was sated that night

tribal as fuck, there isnt an energy like it

Am I alone in liking me some Fear Factory? :$

No not at all.

I like Replicant (Electronic Sheep Edit), Demanufacture and there are a couple more on Demanufacture album that are good.

And I like Edgecrusher, Where Evil Dwells and Cars on Obsolete. I like Playing Where Evil Dwells with my 15" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers and 500 Watt Amplifier kicked on full tilt, especially when some jerk is blasting his c/rap too loudly. It really rattles your guts. It makes those who like rap hurry up and move on too.

Edited by Skylar Husky

Christian metal is not an oxymoron. Grassfed above, mentioned Tourniquet.

But before them was Stryper. And I have played this song for many metal-heads and they agree, It is a solid metal song. See if you agree. It is old stuff now though. Late 1980's early 1990's.

The "hail Satan" name of the topic is a tongue in cheek name for the subject. Parents who don't understand metal or modern rock, always use the "Devil Music" excuse to bag and hate on it. 

I will never forget when my brother and I started getting into very aggressive sounding metal. The first bands we were listening to in my early teens were Pantera, Metallica and Megadeth.  I remember my father shouting at us to "Turn that damn devil music down!"  Mom asked me one time for the sleeve notes out of Metallica ...And Justice for All and read the lyrics, then passed them to Dad. Once he saw it wasn't evil, he was totally cool with it. He also thought it was okay for him to like it too. He did and even took us as young teenagers to a couple of each of those bands' concerts. My father has only recently told me he truly was concerned we were both getting into demons and devil worship. I guess he never listened to anything like that while he lived at home despite the fact he had the original heavy-metal bad-boys, Black Sabbath in his record collection.

Edited by Skylar Husky

Was going to keep the vaguely furfaggy theme going by posting some Powerwolf but they're kinda shit and hearing Bloodbath (not a massive fan of death metal but those guys are good, cheers man) reminded me of something i actually like.

Lies and slander! They're silly and after six albums, a bit derivative, but they ain't shit. Well, they might be live. I don't think they have a bass player live so they just pump it out or ignore it, which is stupid as fuck.

Still not shit though!

My brother thinks they're shit too :(

Lies and slander! They're silly and after six albums, a bit derivative, but they ain't shit. Well, they might be live. I don't think they have a bass player live so they just pump it out or ignore it, which is stupid as fuck.

Still not shit though!

My brother thinks they're shit too :(

Granted any band that can make a song like this:

I'm incapable of truly disliking but everything i've heard from them has been decidedly meh. Plus i'm pretty sure they've blatantly ripped off other bands at least once. One of their songs (can't remember which atm) sounded "heavily inspired" by Fear of the Dark, or at least the intro did to me.