Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

On 12/27/2015 at 8:03 PM, evan said:

i like this! out of curiosity, might you enjoy gallows?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhss2c-iRE

is it bad that i didnt know this thread actually existed? ;-;

i'm going to read this through and find some bands i like, but i haven't got much a vocabulary for metal anymore, save a few bands

some examples: i love black dahlia murder, between the buried and me, but i also wanna hear more stuff like this

edit: found what i was looking for, leprous

Oh hey I remember you from a long time ago hi again ;;

Leprous is pretty cool, enjoyed The Congregation quite a bit, need to look into their older stuff at some point.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Conker said:

Naw, it was something lighter sounding. I swear they started with an O.

Arch Enemy are alright though. Music kinda blends together after a bit, but as little bursts here and there, I like em.

The first thing that came to mind was Orianthi, haven't heard a lot of her stuff and the earlier stuff seemed quite poppy and light but she also made this so her music seems worth exploring. It's not exactly metal though. Otep are also a thing. Not sure if it's my thing, need to listen to more of them, but it's a thing.

As for Arch Enemy, i completely agree. Nemesis is the only song of theirs i've really liked. Incidentally that song plus Twilight Of The Thunder God and All Shall Fall were the songs that got me into screamed vocals.

4 hours ago, KyryK said:

The first thing that came to mind was Orianthi, haven't heard a lot of her stuff and the earlier stuff seemed quite poppy and light but she also made this so her music seems worth exploring. It's not exactly metal though. Otep are also a thing. Not sure if it's my thing, need to listen to more of them, but it's a thing.

As for Arch Enemy, i completely agree. Nemesis is the only song of theirs i've really liked. Incidentally that song plus Twilight Of The Thunder God and All Shall Fall were the songs that got me into screamed vocals.

IT WAS OTEP!!!!!

Also, "Twilight of the Thunder God" is a rad as fuck song. Gosh if only those vocals were like 5% louder. But regardless, it's a really kickass tune.

So my crazy Youtube rabbit hole at work, which has been a crazy mix of rock, power metal, more power metal, tad more power metal, slice of death metal, and trash metal kicked up a bad called Eluveitie. Not a clue how to pronounce that un.

But I quite like what I'm hearing

called the local record store and should have that before the week is out :D

Edited by Conker

DOUBLEPOST

Because fuck it. My thread.

So ol @KyryK mentioned "Twilight of the Thunder God" and I found myself bored at work today with access to youtube and a very nice speaker hooked up to my shitty computer because my IT department = trolls. Well, I tossed that album on and had a god damned good time listening to it. Jammed hard man!

I might have to pick up that album.

I became familiar with Gojira through From Mars to Sirius, which I consider a strong album, but I'm still not really sure how I feel about them. Something about them just doesn't quite sit with me.

Someone wanted black metal. I'm probably not the right person to be giving recommendations since I don't listen to that stuff all that much, but Immortal's Abbath is releasing an album this month and so far it just sounds like a barrell of fun. Definitely not trve kvlt stuff though, it that's what was required.

• 2 weeks later...

So last time I listened to "Adoration for None" by Gojira I thought, "I should check out Lam of God" since that's where Randy hails. Put on their newest album and enjoyed it more or less. It didn't really stick, but I had fun. Drove one of my cowworkers fucking nuts, so more power tome.

But I'm wondering what the best place to start is with that band. They've got a lot of albums.

Bah. Like I need more of this kind of growly, rage-infested metal. Told myself I'd cut back and find something new, but nope.

On 05/01/2016 at 9:48 PM, Conker said:

IT WAS OTEP!!!!!

Also, "Twilight of the Thunder God" is a rad as fuck song. Gosh if only those vocals were like 5% louder. But regardless, it's a really kickass tune.

So my crazy Youtube rabbit hole at work, which has been a crazy mix of rock, power metal, more power metal, tad more power metal, slice of death metal, and trash metal kicked up a bad called Eluveitie. Not a clue how to pronounce that un.

But I quite like what I'm hearing

called the local record store and should have that before the week is out :D

Glad to be of service. I'm not the biggest fan of Amon Amarth (or Death Metal in general) but Twilight, Runes to my Memory and Destroyer of the Universe are fantastic songs. As we're on DM i may as well post some of my favourite bands though.

Bolt Thrower

Death. Incidentally The Sound of Perseverance was the album i learned how to do screamed vocals with, it's ridiculously fun but i haven't done it in a while.

Carcass

Portal

Sinister

As for Eluveitie...eh, no. It's not really the same but when it comes to folkier stuff you can't go wrong with Moonsorrow

11 hours ago, KyryK said:

Glad to be of service. I'm not the biggest fan of Amon Amarth (or Death Metal in general) but Twilight, Runes to my Memory and Destroyer of the Universe are fantastic songs. As we're on DM i may as well post some of my favourite bands though.

Bolt Thrower

Death. Incidentally The Sound of Perseverance was the album i learned how to do screamed vocals with, it's ridiculously fun but i haven't done it in a while.

Carcass

Portal

Sinister

As for Eluveitie...eh, no. It's not really the same but when it comes to folkier stuff you can't go wrong with Moonsorrow

Will check them links.

I try off and on to learn how to do the scream vocals. Every time I'm getting the muscle memory down right in my gut, I take a break and forget all over again. Very annoying.

13 hours ago, feraleks said:

Moonsorrow is objectively the best black folk metal band in the world.

Yeah, but how many black folk metal bands ARE there? :P

I"ll have to try that song again. I wasn't quite sold on the guy's vocals, but the stuff behind them were sure good.

PLus, I love their band name. Like, lots.

On 18/01/2016 at 10:01 PM, Conker said:

Will check them links.

I try off and on to learn how to do the scream vocals. Every time I'm getting the muscle memory down right in my gut, I take a break and forget all over again. Very annoying.

I'm currently busy packing up the last of my shit and moving but when i have the time i can find some resources and give some tips when it comes to screaming if you like. For false chord at least, i know nothing about fry.

On 19/01/2016 at 11:58 AM, feraleks said:

Moonsorrow is objectively the best black folk metal band in the world.

As for Eluveitie, not really that much into them except for the acoustic album. Just not a fan of the whole Gothenburg element. They do rock live though, as folk metal bands generally tend to.

I've seen enough of your posts now to be able to say with 100% objective certainty that your taste in music is fucking fantastic. That is all.

On 20/01/2016 at 1:21 AM, Conker said:

I"ll have to try that song again. I wasn't quite sold on the guy's vocals, but the stuff behind them were sure good.

PLus, I love their band name. Like, lots.

Yep, the vocals are comparatively weak but everything else about them is fantastic. You might like Matkan Lopussa a little more idk. As for black folk metal, as far as i'm aware most of the folkier stuff out there also has strong black metal elements but i could be wrong. Haven't listened to a lot of it. The only other folk metal bands that have stuck with me are Finntroll and Korpiklaani.

13 hours ago, KyryK said:

I'm currently busy packing up the last of my shit and moving but when i have the time i can find some resources and give some tips when it comes to screaming if you like. For false chord at least, i know nothing about fry.

I'd love some resources on how to do it. I sure as fuck can't normally sing, so this is my last resort D:

Plus, it's so fucking fun when you do it right. I GOT A DEVIL IN MAH GUT!

Back on topic, Youtube told me to listen to this song today and I did and it's fucking awesome

Avantasia Ghostlights

i've been looking for a new powermetal band for like a month and a half, and I FINALLY found one. Also, new album releases this month :D

On 1/20/2016 at 3:21 AM, Conker said:

There are a few, and many of them are pretty awesome, but I take your point. Still, claiming a that band is the very best at what they do isn't something to be done lightly, even if it is a niche genre.

On 1/20/2016 at 3:21 AM, Conker said:

Personally I think the desperation in his voice is the perfect fit for the music, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Here's something more recent, maybe you'll change your mind.  

On 1/21/2016 at 0:44 PM, KyryK said:

I've seen enough of your posts now to be able to say with 100% objective certainty that your taste in music is fucking fantastic. That is all.

Wow, thanks. Probably no surprise that I feel the same way about yours. I'm pretty sure you'd change your mind if all the stuff outside the realm of metal was taken into account, though. 

Edited by feraleks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, feraleks said:

There are a few, and many of them are pretty awesome, but I take your point. Still, claiming a that band is the very best at what they do isn't something to be done lightly, even if it is a niche genre.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rM97z0rRs

Hell yes, Saor is great <3

I need to get their debut album at some point.

Since I'm listening to them right now, how about some Ne Obliviscaris?

Unrelated to anything else but why the hell is posting on this forum so terrible, everything formats stupidly, I've spent like 10 minutes trying to make this post not a disaster, jesus christ.

Edited by Cyril

9 hours ago, feraleks said:

There are a few, and many of them are pretty awesome, but I take your point. Still, claiming a that band is the very best at what they do isn't something to be done lightly, even if it is a niche genre.

Personally I think the desperation in his voice is the perfect fit for the music, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Here's something more recent, maybe you'll change your mind.  

Wow, thanks. Probably no surprise that I feel the same way about yours. I'm pretty sure you'd change your mind if all the stuff outside the realm of metal was taken into account, though. 

I liked the ambient parts of that Saor song, but the guitarwork sounds really compressed or at least not mixed in very well with the rest of it.

Enjoying this other Moonsorrow song quite a bit though.

8 hours ago, Conker said:

I liked the ambient parts of that Saor song, but the guitarwork sounds really compressed or at least not mixed in very well with the rest of it.

Enjoying this other Moonsorrow song quite a bit though.

The production is just a black metal thing that a lot of black metal bands do. I'm generally not a huge fan of the intentionally poor production and I think Saor does suffer a little from the quality, if it was just a little sharper I think the music would really come to life, but I wouldn't want it to be really clean and crisp either.

7 hours ago, Cyril said:

The production is just a black metal thing that a lot of black metal bands do. I'm generally not a huge fan of the intentionally poor production and I think Saor does suffer a little from the quality, if it was just a little sharper I think the music would really come to life, but I wouldn't want it to be really clean and crisp either.

This seems to be common with punk music too, and I'll never understand it. Good production is an artform all of its own, and if an album sounds compressed or too DIY, I certainly won't be picking it up.

On 1/24/2016 at 7:34 PM, Lizard King said:

One of the least batshit-crazy songs on that album

Deconstruction is one of his best, though. Devin <3

And I thought I missed Mastodon, then I discovered Baroness, who are basically better in every way. I dunno, I was never that huge on Mastodon to begin with, Crack the Skye was good, Blood Mountain was decent, The Hunter was mediocre at best... not crazy about them.

2 hours ago, Cyril said:

And I thought I missed Mastodon, then I discovered Baroness, who are basically better in every way. I dunno, I was never that huge on Mastodon to begin with, Crack the Skye was good, Blood Mountain was decent, The Hunter was mediocre at best... not crazy about them.

Baroness is fine, but I think they and Mastodon are very different bands.

Crack the Skye > Leviathan > Blood Mountain > everything else

The Hunter was the point where they shifted styles into one that I really dislike.

On 1/22/2016 at 7:19 PM, Cyril said:

Since I'm listening to them right now, how about some Ne Obliviscaris?

I've had this band recommended for me by at least two people whose taste I respect but I haven't really felt it. Maybe I'll give them another shot.

On 1/23/2016 at 5:21 PM, Conker said:

This seems to be common with punk music too, and I'll never understand it. Good production is an artform all of its own, and if an album sounds compressed or too DIY, I certainly won't be picking it up.

The whole lo-fi thing really fits some music especially if the band is going for a sound that's a bit on the sinister side, but I guess it's not for everyone. I happen to like Saor's messy guitars and distant-sounding growls 'cause to me they add to that expansive feel the music has, like someone is playing it really loud just over the next hill.

11 hours ago, Cyril said:

Deconstruction is one of his best, though. Devin <3

It's pretty good, but Terria and Ocean Machine are infinitely better.

On 1/24/2016 at 6:53 AM, Newt said:

I miss the old Mastodon :/

My exact thoughts when listening to Leviathan for the first time in a long while yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Conker said:

It violates my big rule of metal of, "I need to be able to understand the lyrics god damnit," but the guitarwork is rad and the vocal melody rules. So...yeah, was jamming hard to Blackguard today.

Blackguard - Firefight

I have that song downloaded.
Also, if the rule was you have to understand the lyrics there goes nearly half my collection.

1 minute ago, Crazy Lee said:

I have that song downloaded.
Also, if the rule was you have to understand the lyrics there goes nearly half my collection.

It's limiting for sure, but I'm big on lyrics and vocal melodies. If I can't understand them, that takes away a lot from a song for me.

But dang, that Blackguard song is fun.

On 1/25/2016 at 7:41 AM, feraleks said:

It's pretty good, but Terria and Ocean Machine are infinitely better.

I would agree that Ocean Machine is better, Terria is about on the same level, depends on my mood really. Casualties of Cool is still my favorite thing he's ever done, though, but this is the wrong thread for that album :P

Unrelated, here's a song off an album coming out in March that I'm super hyped for.

11 hours ago, Mr.Kumquat said:

Anyone have a favorite metal music video? I often find them a bit over the top, but in a good way. Like this one. The video for Redneck by Lamb of God is also great fun.

"This band sounds like a wholesome christian band for our daughter's party..."
*band trashes house to death metal*

One of my favorite metal songs, for reasons.... good reasons....