Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

Ohshit guys, The Unguided have a new album coming out. Melodeath here we come!

The Worst Day Revisited

To be honest, I wasn't blown away by their last album. It's alright and has a few killer tunes on it, but on the whole, not as cohesive or amazing as Hellfrost. I'll be waiting a bit to hear more before buying.  But I do like this band and am happy they're still churning out tunes.

On a different metal side, Drowning Pool (or are they hard rock? Hard to tell these days) have a new album out that released last week on Friday. I haven't picked it up yet, but plan on doing so soon because I dig their new singer and Resilience kicks all sorts of ass.

Also, it looks like 2016 will be the year I see Slipknot live. I have a few venues to choose from, so it's just a matter of picking which date works best. Very, very, VERY happy about that.

The lead singer of As I Lay Dying went to prison for trying to kill his wife... sucks...

Also, even though the Grammys sucked as usual, Ghost won Best Metal song. I'm not a big Ghost fan at all, but considering things like Taylor Swift won a bunch of shit for her crap, it's good to see something decent win for a change.

And...Time to ruin your childhood again.

The Wall Street Journal put out a really awesome article about heavy metal not too long ago

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-weird-global-appeal-of-heavy-metal-1455819419

It's awesome that the genre is so damn big and diverse, and reading through it got me to look into some of the bands listed

CHTNONIC Supreme pain of the Tyrant

These guys have a fun sound.

On a much sadder note, an Iranian band called Confess are being charged with blasphemy and could be executed for singing about what a thousand other metal bands have sung about in the past because Iran gonna Iran.

I listened to some of their music, and it's really quite good. Has elements of older Nonpoint to it.

On a different note, I'm enjoying the new Drowning Pool album, though I'm not as blown away by it as I was Resilience. I hope it grows on me since the local store charged me a lot for it because :(

The only metal I can really get into, aside from a few Metallica songs, is classic Black Sabbath. I'm not fully sure it's fair to classify them as "metal" really, but anyway you guys should really give this one a listen (or hopefully, a relisten):

Just be sure to listen to the end because it's actually a suite of a few smaller songs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, axelthefox said:

snip

Gonna double post because all this quoting with vids is obnoxious

Anyhow: First time really listening to Hammerfall, and I really liked that. Will search further!

What I'm more surprised by is that Equilibrium song. I've heard a few tunes by them and have always liked the instrumentals, but the vocals--at least what's on youtube--have always been mixed so fucking low that they're basically not there. Very frustrating.

That song though! Is that whole album like that? If so I gotta buy it.

On 3/7/2016 at 4:39 PM, Conker said:

All Hail the Yeti have FINALLY put out their new single, and it's fucking awesome. So god damned excited for this album.

This amuses me. With metal bands, it's sometimes hard to tell which one is the title of the song, and what's the name of the band. Before the Flames sounds like a typical metal band name. All Hail the Yeti sounds like a song title.

4 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

This amuses me. With metal bands, it's sometimes hard to tell which one is the title of the song, and what's the name of the band. Before the Flames sounds like a typical metal band name. All Hail the Yeti sounds like a song title.

Yeah. I found this out first hand when diving down black metal youtube links at work the other day. Guess it's just something with the genre? THe need to be dark as fuck?

Oh fuck, completely forgot to respond to these. >_<

On 22/01/2016 at 0:26 AM, Conker said:

I'd love some resources on how to do it. I sure as fuck can't normally sing, so this is my last resort D:

Plus, it's so fucking fun when you do it right. I GOT A DEVIL IN MAH GUT!

yeah, it feels great. There's so much power in screams and when you do them properly it puts yu in a fantastic headspace. I'll dig up some resources soon, not sure how long it'll take me to find good information and i don't have it in me to search right now. If i haven't posted any in about a week just call me a prick and tell me to get on it. ;3

On 22/01/2016 at 1:02 PM, feraleks said:

Wow, thanks. Probably no surprise that I feel the same way about yours. I'm pretty sure you'd change your mind if all the stuff outside the realm of metal was taken into account, though. 

Cheers man. I like quite a but that would throw some metalheads into a mindless, frothing rage myself. Good music is good music, regardless of genre. What kind of stuff are you into?

Aaaaaand to keep the thread OT, just got the V from this band's logo tattooed on the back of my hand.

Not only do i love everything about them, i love everything about the genre they helped pioneer.

On 04/03/2016 at 11:35 PM, Endless/Nameless said:

The only metal I can really get into, aside from a few Metallica songs, is classic Black Sabbath. I'm not fully sure it's fair to classify them as "metal" really, but anyway you guys should really give this one a listen (or hopefully, a relisten):

Just be sure to listen to the end because it's actually a suite of a few smaller songs.

Gotta love Sabbath, a bunch of bands basically took their sound and created a genre known as Doom Metal from it. Give the song i just posted a listen, you might like it.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2016 at 4:12 AM, Endless/Nameless said:

Damn, that's really good; I love it!!

haha, i sense a convert. If you want to hear more i'd recommend their album Born Too Late. It's a classic and a great introduction to the band.

On 18/03/2016 at 6:46 AM, Newt said:

*The Sword*

Some doom/stoner metal

Eh, The Sword are alright but they've never really gripped me. They're not really doing anything new and i can't get into those vocals. Keeping the Stoner/Doom thing going though...well i'll get to that in a second.

On 21/03/2016 at 10:39 PM, Cross said:

Hell yeah, found my thread

*Nuclear Assault*

I like you already dude, a Nuclear Assault isn't complete without some Destruction though...

Aaaaand back to the Doom. Seeing as all of my tattoos are going to be the logos of my favourite metal bands i thought i might as well post them here as i get them, i'm basically gonna turn my left arm into a patch.

http://i.imgur.com/rRxVlkA.jpg

Sadly it looks a little lonely so in a week and a half i'm gonna be getting this tattooed on my fingers to keep it company.

...Gaah, Conker. Will post some resources by tomorrow man.

Edited by KyryK

@Conker I come bearing...well, a Youtube video. Now, i know you're thinking "Well why did this twat take so long to find a bloody Youtube vid"...well, y'see i had to find a vid with a man from Scandinavia in it. That's very important, took me an hour and a half to find one.

This is the aforementioned Scandinavian man, hear his words and obey if you want to learn how to scream...probably, i had no problems just sorta doing them and so i've never had to take this advice but it seems decent. The angry sigh/bark like a dog thing is a common trick to finding and engaging the false chords, i've seen that advice all over the place but i know some people can still struggle with getting the sound so just keep practising till you can make it because there's no simpler advice than that (as far as i'm aware). And remember, the diaphragm ist kreig (i can't say anything more than that, i never had issues with the breathing aspect of screaming and as such know nothing about the actual mechanics behind it, never needed to...ok probably did but i don't so...). Oh, here's his band btw...i think, shitty internet forced the video to play at 144p so everything was just a blob but he looked like the same blob in both videos at least, plus that name can't be too common.

Yes, it's shitty deathcore but his vocals seem decent, if a little indistinct (something i might be able to help you with if it gets to that point, used to struggle with clarity a lot).

What else was there...oh yes, the site/thread i used when i was originally looking for info on screaming.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208630

You might have to wade through a ton of shitposts but there's some very good advice to be found in that thread, and some helpful regs know a lot more than me about the actual mechanics behind screaming as well. If you want to learn and have any specific questions you'd likely be better off signing up there and asking them than me. It's been years since i've even used that site but if there's still a guy called Merriman around he'd be a lot of help.

On 25/03/2016 at 8:03 PM, Conker said:

I thank you very very much for those resources, and I am sad you spent so long looking for them. I am not worthy :(

Haha, you're welcome man. And don't worry about it, had to make sure i found a decent quality vid with good advice. There's a surprising amount of shit out there. Oh, and if you like i can post a clip of my vocals, it should help you decide if any advice i could personally give would actually be worth listening to.

12 minutes ago, KyryK said:

Haha, you're welcome man. And don't worry about it, had to make sure i found a decent quality vid with good advice. There's a surprising amount of shit out there. Oh, and if you like i can post a clip of my vocals, it should help you decide if any advice i could personally give would actually be worth listening to.

Naw, not needed. I"ll get to the vids on Monday or Tuesday when I get home and have some time to myself to be really noisy and not bother anyone :P

2 minutes ago, Conker said:

Naw, not needed. I"ll get to the vids on Monday or Tuesday when I get home and have some time to myself to be really noisy and not bother anyone :P

Ok. Just remember, a little burning in your throat is ok but you should stop when you can feel it/after a little while of it coming on. Give yourself some time to rest your throat, getting some honey and lemon tea might be a good idea for when that happens too. It will and it shouldn't be anything to worry about, with time and practice it'll stop/not hit for several hours. Straight up pain's an immediate stop though, means you're doing something wrong.

46 minutes ago, KyryK said:

Ok. Just remember, a little burning in your throat is ok but you should stop when you can feel it/after a little while of it coming on. Give yourself some time to rest your throat, getting some honey and lemon tea might be a good idea for when that happens too. It will and it shouldn't be anything to worry about, with time and practice it'll stop/not hit for several hours. Straight up pain's an immediate stop though, means you're doing something wrong.

Yeah. I've experimented a bit with this in the past and got some of it down then forgot what i was doing. Time to start over!

It's one of thsoe things where I gotta remember that a lesson won't make me good at it, even though I just kinda want to be good at it right now :( Not that I'd do anything with it since my hopes/dreams of making a metal album are still pretty far away. This is just the first hurdle. The second is buying an expensive mod to FL Studio so I have guitars that sound like real guitars. Third is learning how to use that so it sounds like real guitars. Fourth is...I'm making me sad now :P

22 hours ago, KyryK said:

Quoting this again. I watched that vid and it seemed super helpful. He was a hellova lot more descriptive about finding the false chords/how to feel the diaphragm than other vids I've seen, which is probably why I mostly do it wrong.

Was hoping he'd get into a few other things, but I suppose step one is to just get this down. Run before you can walk and all that shit. Good news is all those things to practice are pretty quiet, so I can do it at work and shit on and off.

I will say, the "put your fingers on your body and push them out" doesn't work because that's where all my belly fat hides :( Had to skip that one!

21 hours ago, Thundeere said:

I listen to babymetal, does that count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Nope.

Never been much of a fan of Babymetal. I love the actual music, the guitars, bass, and drums, some of that is pretty brutal.
But, when you put over that a bunch of very high pitched teenage japanese kawaii vocals, like from a pop idol band, it just doesn't fit. High teen girl vocals singing cheerful happy kawaii lyrics with brutal guitar just doesn't mash well with me. There's a reason I listen to metal and not JapPop shit. Hell, even quite a lot of Japanese metal I have trouble listening to if the lyrics sound too happy or go lucky. It's like, what the fuck is in the water to make the Japanese so fucking cheerful all the time... I just figure they're recycling fukushima coolant water in the taps.

That being said I'm kinda okay with Ladybaby because of the lead singer....

52 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Nope.

Never been much of a fan of Babymetal. I love the actual music, the guitars, bass, and drums, some of that is pretty brutal.
But, when you put over that a bunch of very high pitched teenage japanese kawaii vocals, like from a pop idol band, it just doesn't fit. High teen girl vocals singing cheerful happy kawaii lyrics with brutal guitar just doesn't mash well with me. There's a reason I listen to metal and not JapPop shit. Hell, even quite a lot of Japanese metal I have trouble listening to if the lyrics sound too happy or go lucky. It's like, what the fuck is in the water to make the Japanese so fucking cheerful all the time... I just figure they're recycling fukushima coolant water in the taps.

That being said I'm kinda okay with Ladybaby because of the lead singer....

Pretty sure Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Culturally, the place has some serious problems, and depression / working yourself to death are at the top.

The dichotomy of brutal music and jpop vocals is why I love the band though. It's so fucking strange, and as a band, those who write the music aren't afraid to just try whatever comes to mind. Their first album is super diverse and in the best way.

I can see why you might not like that though, or why anyone might not like that.

One man's trash and whatnot.

20 minutes ago, Conker said:

Pretty sure Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Culturally, the place has some serious problems, and depression / working yourself to death are at the top.

That's pretty much part of the problem. Their work culture is insane. It's like, sacrifice yourself for the good of the company, stay at the same company your entire life, become a cog in the machine (I forget the word for those types of businessmen... career men or something). It makes you feel like you're not important and replaceable.

Counting down the days to the new All Hail the Yeti album. Super excited. Also hoping the local store breaks street date for me and sells it to me tomorrow. it's happened before.

Still trying to learn how to false chord scream properly, but my false chords are like Waldo and I'm really shitty at finding him. Or something. Turns out you can exagerated sigh with your vocal chords.

Wait, maybe just got it. Probably not. Like, where am I supposed to feel pressure? I know I'm not supposed to put any on my vocal chords. That makes them hurt. So is it like, above that? Kinda feeling it in my nose right now. Roof of mouth?

Whole thing is making me light headed :P Also don't want to do it for too long since I don't want to fuck my voice up, so I have like twenty minutes a day before I call it quits. This is so fucking frustrating D:

Edited by Conker

On 26/03/2016 at 0:34 AM, Conker said:

Yeah. I've experimented a bit with this in the past and got some of it down then forgot what i was doing. Time to start over!

It's one of thsoe things where I gotta remember that a lesson won't make me good at it, even though I just kinda want to be good at it right now :( Not that I'd do anything with it since my hopes/dreams of making a metal album are still pretty far away. This is just the first hurdle. The second is buying an expensive mod to FL Studio so I have guitars that sound like real guitars. Third is learning how to use that so it sounds like real guitars. Fourth is...I'm making me sad now :P

Sorry for the late reply, been kinda busy. Yep, takes tonnes of practice. I remember when i was learning screaming my way through an entire album, putting a second one on, screaming my way through that then going back to the first and doing it all again. Going for 2-3 hours at a time was common for me, just gotta keep at it and you'll get it down. As for FL Studio, you might not need a mod. There are already customizable guitars and basses somewhere in that confusing mess of a UI. Can't remember how good they are though. Why couldn't you do the obvious thing and see if there are people in your area that'd be interested in starting a band though?

On 28/03/2016 at 10:00 PM, Conker said:

Quoting this again. I watched that vid and it seemed super helpful. He was a hellova lot more descriptive about finding the false chords/how to feel the diaphragm than other vids I've seen, which is probably why I mostly do it wrong.

Was hoping he'd get into a few other things, but I suppose step one is to just get this down. Run before you can walk and all that shit. Good news is all those things to practice are pretty quiet, so I can do it at work and shit on and off.

I will say, the "put your fingers on your body and push them out" doesn't work because that's where all my belly fat hides :( Had to skip that one!

I can't speak for the exercises but in regards to practice, once you get to screaming don't try to do it quietly. Gotta roar or it won't come out properly, push, PUSH! Just remember to stop when your throat stares to burn a little and you'll be fine.

Oh, also. Pic of my latest band tattoo:

http://i.imgur.com/K5mOrtr.jpg

And a song from my next:

2 hours ago, KyryK said:

Sorry for the late reply, been kinda busy. Yep, takes tonnes of practice. I remember when i was learning screaming my way through an entire album, putting a second one on, screaming my way through that then going back to the first and doing it all again. Going for 2-3 hours at a time was common for me, just gotta keep at it and you'll get it down. As for FL Studio, you might not need a mod. There are already customizable guitars and basses somewhere in that confusing mess of a UI. Can't remember how good they are though. Why couldn't you do the obvious thing and see if there are people in your area that'd be interested in starting a band though?

Because I'm as proud as Satan and want to do it all myself. Plus I don't think I'll ever really get good at screaming, so I'll be stuck as a studio band :P

Woke up the other day with a slightly bloody throat, so everything I thought i was doing right was wrong. Finding the false chords is really, really hard. Taking a break from this for at least a week to let things heal and whatnot. Still drinking like a fish because I"m depressed I suck though D: Also becuase it's a day that ends in Y

And the guitar that comes with FL Studio is pretty shit. If you really fuck with it, you can make it sound like a real one, but it's not worth the effort nad limits you a lot. I'd rather pay some good money and get a mod that allows me a lot of room to explore, and those DO exist. It's just a matter of blowing my tax return on one.

But i have to learn how to scream first, so this will be a multi-year project. Which is fine since it was always going to be.

I got the lyrics/vocal melodies down for five songs though. Maybe six. Gotta fix one yet. So you know, there's half an album. Just have to do the hard parts :P

10 hours ago, Conker said:

Because I'm as proud as Satan and want to do it all myself. Plus I don't think I'll ever really get good at screaming, so I'll be stuck as a studio band :P

Haha, fair enough. Wish you luck with that, solo projects always have a uniquely intimate vibe to them due to their nature and it's always good to see what one person can produce. And you can get good at screaming, just a matter of time and dedication.

Woke up the other day with a slightly bloody throat, so everything I thought i was doing right was wrong. Finding the false chords is really, really hard. Taking a break from this for at least a week to let things heal and whatnot. Still drinking like a fish because I"m depressed I suck though D: Also becuase it's a day that ends in Y

Fuck. Yeah don't do anything for a week, maybe two just to be safe. I never had any issues with stuff like this so may not be the best person to help find the problem but was it comfortable when you were screaming? Did you tense up your throat or was it relaxed? If you're doing it right it feels as natural and smooth as talking, well, a potentially burning shout at first, it may take a while to get to that point. After a while you can even do whispered screams, but i'm getting ahead of myself. Ah, almost forgot something important. How much blood was there?

And the guitar that comes with FL Studio is pretty shit. If you really fuck with it, you can make it sound like a real one, but it's not worth the effort nad limits you a lot. I'd rather pay some good money and get a mod that allows me a lot of room to explore, and those DO exist. It's just a matter of blowing my tax return on one.

But i have to learn how to scream first, so this will be a multi-year project. Which is fine since it was always going to be.

I got the lyrics/vocal melodies down for five songs though. Maybe six. Gotta fix one yet. So you know, there's half an album. Just have to do the hard parts :P

Ah, rightright. the hard part for me has always been writing lyrics. I tend to think everything but my vocals are kinda shit and my lyrics especially. That's the thing that's really holding me back from doing solo stuff. Still, a friend wants me to play bass for a Funeral Doom project he's working on and the experience i'll gain from that should hopefully prove invaluable when it comes to doing my own stuff. Just gotta keep writing and i should eventually have all the tools available to me to actually make my own music.

2 hours ago, KyryK said:

Haha, fair enough. Wish you luck with that, solo projects always have a uniquely intimate vibe to them due to their nature and it's always good to see what one person can produce. And you can get good at screaming, just a matter of time and dedication.

Fuck. Yeah don't do anything for a week, maybe two just to be safe. I never had any issues with stuff like this so may not be the best person to help find the problem but was it comfortable when you were screaming? Did you tense up your throat or was it relaxed? If you're doing it right it feels as natural and smooth as talking, well, a potentially burning shout at first, it may take a while to get to that point. After a while you can even do whispered screams, but i'm getting ahead of myself. Ah, almost forgot something important. How much blood was there?

Ah, rightright. the hard part for me has always been writing lyrics. I tend to think everything but my vocals are kinda shit and my lyrics especially. That's the thing that's really holding me back from doing solo stuff. Still, a friend wants me to play bass for a Funeral Doom project he's working on and the experience i'll gain from that should hopefully prove invaluable when it comes to doing my own stuff. Just gotta keep writing and i should eventually have all the tools available to me to actually make my own music.

Yeah. My friend put out a solo project recently (which I maybe linked to here, can't remember) and the DIY vibe to it helps make it something special.

When it comes to music, I'd like to do more than just experience it, ya know? So I want to try and throw something together before I kick the bucket, but I also realize I'll probably only do the ONE project and be fine. Just to say I did it. But it is literally years away so it's kinda just a pipe dream right now with some finished shitty poetry :P

Uh, for the pain and stuff, towards the end it didn't seem to really hurt, though I felt a lot of pressure in my mouth area, on the upper pallet I think. I had been experimenting around though for a good twenty minutes to a half hour, and some of what I was doing did burn a bit. Nothing amazingly painful though, so I kinda shrugged it off. Hard to tell how tense the throat was and whatnot. It's not something you ever thing about in regards to throat muscles unless you're trying to do this or other vocal things, which I don't ever try to do. People saying, "open your throat" know waht they're talking about, but I"m like, "yeah but how should that feel? I know how I think it should, but that doens't mean I'm doing it right because I DUNNO!"

Wasn't much blood though. I thought it was from a cut gum or something at first when I was brushing my teeth, but I couldn't find any cuts. Assumed it was the throat and yeah. Took a flashlight and looked and it was a little chewed up back there, but nothing that scared me. Just kinda went, "well shit"

Dunno what Funeral Doom is, but it sounds pretty heavy. And fun! Hope you enjoy that (and post stuff from it if you get the chance. I want to hear!)