Hail Satan: The Metal Thread

Conker

I'm not familiar with them, but that description isn't exactly drawing me in. That's not a dig, really, just a matter of preference: I tend to prefer more ascetic death metal over flashier, thrashier stuff, and this extends logically to deathcore and related hybrids, particularly when you have that infusion of powerviolence, grindcore and math-rock elements. Give me bare-bones bloody-minded frenzy with a minimum of bullshit and we're good. The Red Chord, Ion Dissonance, Despised Icon, that sort of thing.

The problem with a lot of second-wave and later deathcore acts isn't that they ignore this—although they often do, to disconcerting and generally poor effect—so much as that they're generally just kind of boring and derivative when they're not outright terrible. There are certainly exceptions, including bands who do stuff like the "wheedle-deedle tech-death meets beatdown hardcore" style well (e.g. Abacinate), and at least a few truly original acts who I do respect a lot, but there really aren't enough of them.

• 2 weeks later...

New Iced Earth album is pretty fun. I'd say Plagues is better, but I do like the new one.

New In This Moment tune is fucking badass and has me really excited for that album.

Eluviete (sp) put out a new song called "Epona." I guess their next effort will be more acoustic, but I'm excited. Origins is flawless.

And then Wintersun releases its third album this week. Friday can't get here soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/decapitated-arrested-in-california-on-alleged-kidnapping-charges

So the members of Decapitated are being accused of kidnapping. The thing is, there is no evidence of said kidnapping, so this could all be a massive misunderstanding. I certainly hope they are not found guilty of such a crime, and I also hope this all gets sorted out soon.

http://www.metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/decapitated-accused-of-gang-rape-band-still-in-los-angeles-jail

Turns out this case is more than a simple misunderstanding. The members of Decapitated are now being accused of rape, with a very disturbing testimony from the victim and her friend. The band members' responses to law enforcement are like that of guilty men. While I feel there is still a lot to go through in the trial, I no longer feel the band is innocent in this situation. I hate losing respect for them, but this is a very shitty situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...