RANT: Looks over original function.

Maya

Alright. I have glasses. Not just any glasses though. These glasses.

tumblr_nvyjdhJ1mk1rjvngto1_1280.jpg

As you can see, I look damn good in them.

Whenever people haven't seen me in them before, though, it always starts with the question "Do you need glasses?", followed by my response, "No, they're strictly for fashion.", then finally, almost always barked back at with "If you don't need glasses, you shouldn't be using them!"

In about 1/5 cases, the concern is that they'll damage my eyes. Which would be true were it not for the fact that any decent optometrist will take out the shitty display lenses and replace them with lenses that have no magnification. Arguing the point after acknowledging this acknowledges that you must never look through a window.

The remaining 4/5 cases are followed by the initial eye damage argument, followed by this lovely arguement: "If you don't suffer any kind of visual disability, you shouldn't be wearing them!"
This argument is a special kind of bullshit because using the same logic:

• You may not wear denim jeans unless you are an 1850's Californian Gold Rush miner
  • You may not wear flannel shirts unless you are a 16th Century Welsh farmer
  • You may not wear gauges unless you are an Ancient Egyptian during the dynasties of the New Kingdom

Honestly, fuck these people. I think it's one thing to feign concern, it's another to get on your high horse over a chunk of plastic.

What about you guys? How do you feel about form over function in fashion?

Edited by Maya
  • Like 1

Which would be true were it not for the fact that any decent optometrist will take out the shitty display lenses and replace them with lenses that have no magnification.

Aren't lenses without diopters called glass?  its sort of like calling chaps "ass-less pants." :P

That said, if you like the look, fill your boots.

I wish that I didn't have to wear glasses because they look horrible on me. But I need them for reading, and more and more in every-day life. My eyesight will only get worse over time.

I'd love to try contacts though. They're meant to make your eyes look bigger too which would be cool as well. Dunno if long-sighted people can benefit from them though.

I wish that I didn't have to wear glasses because they look horrible on me. But I need them for reading, and more and more in every-day life. My eyesight will only get worse over time.

I'd love to try contacts though. They're meant to make your eyes look bigger too which would be cool as well. Dunno if long-sighted people can benefit from them though.

Plus you can get some freaky colours to scare people... red eyes, why not xD

It has literally never occurred to me to ask someone if they needed their glasses.

Mostly because I don't care, but also because 9/10 times I can just imagine them looking at me like I'm retarded for asking.

Contacts for farsightedness do exist.

• Like 1

Aren't lenses without diopters called glass?  its sort of like calling chaps "ass-less pants." :P

That said, if you like the look, fill your boots.

You can't have a lens without some optical power measured in inverse meters, yes.

Nearly all "fake lenses" are actually lenses that usually converge the light coming in, though. This means that they do magnify. You just can't easily tell because the effect has been made minimal on purpose. Calling them "fake lenses" is more like calling titanium a fake metal because you just aren't strong enough to tell if it is malleable or not.

Seems like it's probably just jealousy more than anything. Either they're jealous because they don't look good in glasses (forced to wear them or not), or are jealous because you have the option to wear them and choose to, which makes those who are forced to wear them feel less special when some 20/20 vision freak sports their goods better than them. I hate having to wear glasses, dunno why anyone would voluntarily do that to themselves even for fashion, but it's your choice and I don't really care if you do or not cuz you gotta deal with them, not my prob. Must be nice to not have to put them on whenever you want to just do something simple or rushed at home and only ever wear them for fashion purposes.

I would love to have Lasik vision correction to say goodbye to my eyeglasses forever. I can't I have pretty bad astigmatism. I would need new corneal implants as well (Like they give folks with cataracts.) That having been said, I do not have a problem with people wanting to wear them for fashion. Some folks think it gives them an intellectual look. There is nothing wrong with that. Just be sure to get a pair with lenses which have no correction or the display lenses in them. They will not mess up your eyes.

My brother has a pair of glasses but only needs one eye corrected, The other is perfect, so he looks through ordinary "glass." on one side anyway. He didn't wish to wear a monocle. LOL

If people ask you if you need them, just lie and say "Yes." It is a lie, but a white lie. It doesn't hurt anyone to not know you do not really need glasses and you will not have to field ridiculous secondary discussions and questions about it if you don't want to. 

Go on and continue if it makes you happy. You are not hurting anyone wearing glasses if you may not need them.

I think I look much the same with or without glasses but I use contacts because I find glasses uncomfortable and they get in the way of everything. Especially near water. I could see better just being myopic than dealing with all those droplets of water and then I try to rub them off with my shirt or those microfibre cloths or something and now it's fucking worse please die.

And yet, I find it hard to care if someone else wants to subject themselves to that. Like at what point do you make up your mind to police random people using glasses? I mean it does seem like a complete waste of $159 but that's characteristic of fashion so whatever.

You could have saved that money for a better camera.

• You may not wear gauges unless you are an Ancient Egyptian during the dynasties of the New Kingdom

Hello there, my job involves selling jewelry for body piercings and I have come here to slightly chew on you and shame you for your terrible slang. Gauges means nothing in the context you are trying to use it. Perhaps you know this or you've been mislead by slang however what you are referring to are called plugs. In the case of the Egyptians, they were glass. Wonderful material I highly recommend by the by.

Please stop referring to Plugs, Tunnels, and/or Tapers or anything else going into your body piercings as "Gauges". Gauges are the size measurements, usually the diameter, of the jewelry. I think because the US system measures in Gauges rather than Millimeters (for example, 4 Gauge is 5mm) this is where the confusion comes from.

But I digress. Please stop. For the sake of all of us out there who have people come into the store, ask "Where are your Gauges?", then have the nerve to look at us like we're stupid when we ask what style of jewelry they're looking for and repeat "Gauges" at least once or twice more.

OT: I understand the point OP wants to make. I have really fancy octopus-topped cane that I adore but I always feel a little silly with it.

• Like 1