Final Fantasy

aeroxwolf

Final_Fantasy_series_logo.png

The place to share your knowledge, tips and the things you love (and hate) about this beloved franchise. 

I'm 30 hours into my second playthrough of FFX on the PS4. So far, I have been sent 1000 years into the future by a wale-like monster called "sin", won my first underwater soccer game at the blitzball championship, rode a giant chicken across green land, ran through a land where thunder never stops striking, walked through a blue forest at night, visited the realm where souls come to rest, fought giant sand worms in a blazing desert and gatecrashed a wedding and I'm loving every minute of it. Add in a great story, deep characters and a beautiful sound track and you've got a great game that has stood the test of time and is guaranteed to keep you entertained for hours on end.

Things I love: The first seven games (with the exception of two)

Things I hate: Every main series game after that (with the exception of nine) esp the main characters from those games

The Crystal Chronicles games are also great. Crystal Bearers is an ok game that was ruined by anime.

FFTA is like my favorite game. The second one wasn't very good. I tried War of the Lions briefly and couldn't really get into it (ended up playing Tactics Ogre LUCT instead which is a lot more like FFTA).

FFTA is also my favorite, although the only main games I've played were 6 and 3. 

I recently tried playing through FFTA2 for a second time, and got frustrated with it. I love the art style and customization, but the plot isn't interesting, and much worse, the game plays -so slow-! Fire Emblem plays significantly faster.

I've played Crystal Chronicles and couldn't get into it either... but you know, it's been a long time. If I still have all the junk I need to play, I might give it another shot.

Edited by SirRob

FFIX is easily my favorite game of the series.

FINALLY a main character that isn't an angsty little shit. And Kuja, despite his fashion sense, is actually a very effective villain. Fun gameplay. Cool visuals. Awesome soundtrack. Interesting story~ whats not to love?

FFX gets my second place for its music and its ending. I hate Tidus with a burning passion. So fucking obnoxious. Thankfully... his

death at the end and embrace with Yuna more than makes up for all his shortcomings.

FFVIII gets my number 3 slot simply because its card game is super fun and its GF mechanics are so easy to break its a joy to play.

• Like 1

I'm at the very end of X myself, but unfortunately I've been stuck at the end for who knows how long and will probably never beat it until I get the HD Remaster on PS3 since I screwed myself over using the sphere grid. I hate the sphere grid. Tidus is actually the weakest or one of the weakest members of my party right now, as I had him go down Lulu's route. Also for some reason Lulu on my party doesn't even have the most powerful magic abilties (the ones that end in "aga") as she's still in the "ara" stage for some reason. I don't know how I screwed up this badly. I think my 10-year old self when I first played it thought it would be a good idea to make Tidus a black mage. I got as far as the ending sheerly by filling up the limit gauges before each boss fight.

I like X's story and think its characters are great (I still hate a few of them despite how well written I think they are though), but me and the gameplay don't get along.

Anywho, XII is my favorite in the series, with a large portion of my love of it being how open and free it is along with how much worldbuilding was put into the game. Its such a huge game.

I've been playing Type 0 HD of late but I went in expecting it to be a game with war and politics themes, but with military academies and Kingdom Hearts combat and more characters, and I've been really disappointed. Its okay, but I wanted more out of it. The gameplay especially seems a lot weaker than I expected it to be. Instead of KH combat, you basically get only 3-4 kinds of attacks per character with little else. The music is great though.

Things I love: The first seven games (with the exception of two)

Things I hate: Every main series game after that (with the exception of nine) esp the main characters from those games

The Crystal Chronicles games are also great. Crystal Bearers is an ok game that was ruined by anime.

FFTA is like my favorite game. The second one wasn't very good. I tried War of the Lions briefly and couldn't really get into it (ended up playing Tactics Ogre LUCT instead which is a lot more like FFTA).

B-but....XII.....It even takes place in Ivalice like Tactics.... ;_;

Edited by Battlechili

FFTA is also my favorite, although the only main games I've played were 6 and 3. 

I recently tried playing through FFTA2 for a second time, and got frustrated with it. I love the art style and customization, but the plot isn't interesting, and much worse, the game plays -so slow-! Fire Emblem plays significantly faster.

I've played Crystal Chronicles and couldn't get into it either... but you know, it's been a long time. If I still have all the junk I need to play, I might give it another shot.

IT'S SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. The worst part is waiting for the enemy team to finish casting worthless buffs so you can go back to hitting them. They tried to make the game more like an MMO but strategy games are better the closer they are to chess. Strategy and positioning should be the most important thing in the game, not stacking buffs.

CC is a game that really takes its time to build up. It's a very slow and subtle game and that's a lot of what I like about it. I would recommend trying the CC games for DS, which are faster paced and don't require schlepping around a chalice.

XII is my favorite in the series, with a large portion of my love of it being how open and free it is along with how much worldbuilding was put into the game. Its such a huge game.

B-but....XII.....It even takes place in Ivalice like Tactics.... ;_;

>no playable bangaa or nu mou

>bangaas not nearly as cute as in TA

setting it in ivalice just made me super salty that they didn't do anything with that fact

also vaan and penelo are awful and largely superfluous to the actual plot and it had gross mmo-esque gameplay

If ye include the spinoff titles,  final fantasy tactics is easily my favorite game. It's got the best story line in my opinion with really awesome gameplay. And lots and lots of Character classes to choose from. With the obvious op calculator. My only gripe with this is the fact that it came out before every other ivalice set final fantasy which made the bangaa and nu muo non existent in this game. I liked ffta a lot too and ffta2 was ok, just loved a couple of the new classes (bangaa cannoneer anyone?) But the original still is the best for me. 

Now if it's only the core series, vii takes this one. And that just cuz nanaki is in it (sure its got a good story albeit overrated and sephiroth isnt all that and its quite an emotional roller coaster and who cant forget the time where ye made cloud crossdress or the muscle gym or the date with barret). If nanaki wasn't in vii at all, then id say ix is the best one for me. Kuja in my opinion is a great villain. Also. I love "not alone" soundtrack that plays in pandemonium. Best piece of music which tops even cosmo canyon (my first favorite final fantasy soundtrack before ix)

Didn't like x much. I found it slow and sappy and honestly quite boring. Viii I actually don't remember much of. It was frankly quite forgettable for me. Xii didn't sit well much with me cuz of the gameplay.

Lightning returns didn't get much praise but I actually loved the gameplay of it. It's the perfect blend of turn based and fast paced action, which I somehow hope they'd do in final fanatsy vii remake. Cuz they did confirm the battle system would be changed.  Just hope they don't screw it up. I'd play it anyways. 

Xv is coming out next year. March 2016 if I'm not mistaken. I'm excited to ride and drift chocobos. 

Speaking of chocobo,  don't ye guys ever get some time where the chocobo song is just stuck in yer head ? I know I do. It's irritatingly catchy. 

hey guys what about dissidia?

guys? >:

Speaking of chocobo,  don't ye guys ever get some time where the chocobo song is just stuck in yer head ? I know I do. It's irritatingly catchy. 

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF IT IS NOW

Edited by Dijon
  • Like 3

ANYWAY...

If I had to pick a favorite game it would have to be Dissidia. Just because it was completely out of the normal FF game style. It was different, yet kept the spirit of the franchise in its own way!
If we're going on favorite games in terms of story I'm caught between Final Fantasy VII: CRISIS CORE and Final Fantasy XI. Favorite games in terms of mechanics it would have to be on Final Fantasy Tactics. 

Edited by Vaer

I can't say I've ever really liked the main Final Fantasy titles; however, Tactics was one of my favorite games of the PS1 generation. It did damn near everything right, from the story to the combat and customization. I thought FFTA was a disappointment in comparison, and I haven't played FFTA2.

I still have my original CDs for FFT, along with Tactics Ogre, although now both titles are finally available as digital releases.

Edited by Onnes

Speaking of Tactics Ogre isn't that made by the same creators especially the PSP remake?

I think that a number of the developers on the first Tactics Ogre ended up moving to Square and working on Final Fantasy Tactics. Wikipedia suggests that the lead designer, Yasumi Matsuno, headed up both the original and the PSP remake along with FFT.

Edited by Onnes

I think that a number of the developers on the first Tactics Ogre ended up moving to Square and working on Final Fantasy Tactics. Wikipedia suggests that the lead designer, Yasumi Matsuno, headed up both the original and the PSP remake along with FFT.

Interesting considering i've played the Knight of Lodis which is the prequel to Tactics Ogre.

I have actually only played 7, 8 and 9 and I really liked all of those. Cloud isn't nearly as angsty as people say, the draw system in 8 is a ton of fun towards the end and 9 is just fantastic all around, I consider it to be the best possible sendoff the PS1 could have ever gotten before the release of the PS2. It was the perfect mix between pretty graphics and storytelling.

After that though... 10 sucks. I quit playing after the Blitzball tournament because I just couldn't stand it. The characters suck with the exception of Auron and I hated the sphere grid. It just simulated freedom in character development when I'm truth you just go from point to point. Towards the end it opens up, but to defeat the optional bosses you need everything anyway, so what's the point?

11 was an MMO, so I don't consider it to be part of the main series.

12 had a hero who didn't know why he was even there.

13 and its offspring has an awful plot that was hidden in codex entries and none of the characters are lovable.

14 is a MMO again. Meh.

I just hope 15 and the 7 remake will be at least decent!

My favorite would have to be six definitely nice to have that there's not really a main character but quite a lot focuses on Terra and others.

Six doesn't get nearly enough love despite clearly being the best Final Fantasy game there is.  Plenty of character development with a gigantic cast of characters and a huge world filled with tons of secrets.  Also Kefka is the best villain and he beats the hell out of that sissy momma's boy Sephiroth.

Six doesn't get nearly enough love despite clearly being the best Final Fantasy game there is.  Plenty of character development with a gigantic cast of characters and a huge world filled with tons of secrets.  Also Kefka is the best villain and he beats the hell out of that sissy momma's boy Sephiroth.

I have to agree here. Especially how the ending shows everyone working together as well.

I think most FF games are garbage, actually. Particularly in the PS1+ era. FF9 was the only Playstation 1 FF I thought was any good.

wow so edgy

wow so edgy

12 had a hero who didn't know why he was even there.

There's a bunch of stuff in this thread I want/need to respond to, but I just wanted to say that Vaan is

Ashe's foil.

If Vaan wasn't there

Ashe would've remained a vengeful hateful princess out to destroy Archadia.

See http://i.imgur.com/XUGYIx7.jpg

Edited by Battlechili

Not seeing a lot of love for FF5 here, but I guess that's understandable.  It wasn't really that outstanding, even if it was fun to blast through.  Gonna have to join that Four Job Fiesta at some point too!

I've been meaning to start up FFX again too since I have the HD Remaster on Vita, but I keep having choice paralysis right at the beginning when choosing what sphere grid I want.  I like the plans they give you for each character, but I want to customize stuff, dang it.

Did anyone ever beat this guy?

I did. Just get Zell to low HP and give him the aura status. Use the limit attacks with very short commands and chain them together. The game gives you a ton of time because he is at low HP and has aura, if you are lucky you can fuck Omega up in one turn.

Another way to do it is to be so quick that it never gets a turn. Just chain limit attacks together since those take priority and give haste to all characters. 

Omega also follows a strict attack pattern. It always starts the fight with level 5 instant death in its first turn. So you are good to go as long as you are immune to that. The next attack is meteor, followed by a magic attack that deals 9998 damage to all characters. This attack is NOT gravity based and will kill characters below 9999 HP! On the next turn it casts a gravity spell that drains 75% of your HP. After that comes a multi hit attack that hits random targets for at least 4000 HP with each hit. This attack can be nullified by the defend command! It then casts Ultima and on the last turn in this sequence it casts an attack that hits one character for 9999 HP. In between it hits you with physical attacks.

So all in all it is actually pretty manageable as long as you are prepared for each turn in this sequence. But Omega is also incredibly fast! You need to keep the attacks coming, otherwise it'll rip Squall to tiny mopey emo pieces X3

Edited by Käpt'n
Got an attack wrong.

Not seeing a lot of love for FF5 here, but I guess that's understandable.  It wasn't really that outstanding, even if it was fun to blast through.  Gonna have to join that Four Job Fiesta at some point too!

I've been meaning to start up FFX again too since I have the HD Remaster on Vita, but I keep having choice paralysis right at the beginning when choosing what sphere grid I want.  I like the plans they give you for each character, but I want to customize stuff, dang it.

Personally, I would choose the regular sphere grid over the expert sphere grid. Your characters level up in a more natural manner and learn spells and techniques suitable for that character. There's still the option to customize. For example: Tidus will reach a point in the sphere grid where he can go down the white mage path, by unlocking it with a lvl 2 sphere. 

during my first playthrough on ps3, because i didn't know what i was doing with the sphere grid, kimhari and Wakka where useless, while the rest of the party where insanely overpowered.

• Like 1

Personally, I would choose the regular sphere grid over the expert sphere grid. Your characters level up in a more natural manner and learn spells and techniques suitable for that character. There's still the option to customize. For example: Tidus will reach a point in the sphere grid where he can go down the white mage path, by unlocking it with a lvl 2 sphere. 

Hm, alrighty.  That would seem more natural, especially as I haven't beaten FFX yet.  Thanks for the input!  I'll just stick it out a little longer.

The stupid sphere grid may just be the part I hated the most about X... Giving the player the option to actually fuck up their characters in a 40+ hour game is not good!

And what is the sphere grid even? How does putting glowy orbs onto a grid give the characters new abilities? Gaining them through levels or experience points is a concept I can grasp, but why does it have to be so needlessly complicated in X?

And it doesn't give you a whole lot of freedom either... It's a path that you walk to the end. At that point you can make a choice on which other abilities the character should have, but it's just so damn complex and time consuming... In VII and VIII you gave a character materia or junctioned some girlfriends and spells to the character and you were good to go. And later on in the game getting the powerfull spells for good attributes wasn't even difficult. In X you could even hit a complete roadblock in terms of developement if you couldn't find the right spheres.

In fact, since you always need the right spheres the game takes away your freedom of character developement by not giving you the right spheres to progress on the grid so you won't become too powerful! XIII did the same thing by opening up new parts of the chrystarium only after you defeated a boss.

Edited by Käpt'n
  • Like 1

Hes super easy if you play the card game. FF8 is extremely broken if you play cards and use them to create items. Just make a bunch of holy wars and spam limits breaks.

>Have Zell in your party

>Kill the other 2 losers

>Cast 'Aura' since it's broken as shit

>Spam 'O' to keep switching party members until you get a limit break

>Proceed to punch shit until it dies because his limit break is fucking broken and can instakill literally everything in the game

FFVIII is a great game.

>Have Zell in your party

>Kill the other 2 losers

>Proceed to punch shit until it dies because his limit break is fucking broken and can instakill literally everything in the game

FFVIII is a great game.

The game becomes even more broken if you don't kill regular enemies to level up :P It adjusts enemies to your level, so you can just steamroll the bosses towards the end because they are super weak and you have the boosted stats from junctioned spells.

For example, Omega Weapon has 1.161.000HP on level 100. But on level 1 it has 111.105HP. Reduce its defense to 0 with Meltdown and limit attacks still deal about 9000HP damage to it. So if you are lucky and Squall uses Lionheart after Omega got the Vit 0 status through Meltdown you can kill it in the first round. I just don't know what the lowest level is that you can reach Omega at. Is it possible to get to it on level 1 or does the game make you kill some enemies on the way? I don't remember.

FF5 is actually one of my favorite games in the main series. I first played it back around 2001 when the fan-translation patch came out and it blew my mind that I was playing a never-before-released (in the US) RPG. Like I was in a special club reserved for those rich guys who could import Super Famicom games. Basically when everyone was still talking about FFVIII and the upcoming XI, I was playing a 2D game from 1992 and loving the heck outta it.

I like all the FFs with job systems; they just have lots more replayability for me. Okay Firefox squiggly line word-correcter, replayability is so too a word. It's deeper than FF3, with a unique soundtrack. FFT is pretty much the complete package as far as job-change customizable FFs go, but FF5 is still great. The Advance version too, even if the sound isn't as good and the new jobs aren't necessary.

Edited by Ratical
  • Like 1

The game becomes even more broken if you don't kill regular enemies to level up :P It adjusts enemies to your level, so you can just steamroll the bosses towards the end because they are super weak and you have the boosted stats from junctioned spells.

For example, Omega Weapon has 1.161.000HP on level 100. But on level 1 it has 111.105HP. Reduce its defense to 0 with Meltdown and limit attacks still deal about 9000HP damage to it. So if you are lucky and Squall uses Lionheart after Omega got the Vit 0 status through Meltdown you can kill it in the first round. I just don't know what the lowest level is that you can reach Omega at. Is it possible to get to it on level 1 or does the game make you kill some enemies on the way? I don't remember.

The only enemies you had to kill were boss's and none of them ever give xp, only random encounters

Boss battles gave XP, just only to the GFs and not the characters. You also gained XP if you ran from battles if you damaged an enemy - XP gained would be proportional to how much of the enemy's HP you knocked down before running.

Well GF's don't determine how hard the enemies become. GF's were seriously some of the dumbest shit, except Doomtrain. Doomtrain was literally the best character in that game (not that really says anything when you're competing against literal cardboard) and is seriously some of the hypest shit. Fuck Knights of the Round, this is the real shit.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
How the fuck do embeded videos work?

Well GF's don't determine how hard the enemies become. GF's were seriously some of the dumbest shit, except Doomtrain. Doomtrain was literally the best character in that game (not that really says anything when you're competing against literal cardboard) and is seriously some of the hypest shit. Fuck Knights of the Round, this is the real shit.

Only Sabin has the power to defeat the Doomtrain.

>Have Zell in your party

>Kill the other 2 losers

FFVIII is a great game.

My party consisted of Squall, Zell and Irvine throughout my 100 hours of FF8 (yes really). 

Selphie is just annoying with a stupid name that has now become a trend, quistis or cliterous or whatever the hell her was, is a blue mage, so instantly useless and rinoa is random, so not very reliable 

Zell just walks around, beating the shit out of monsters, squall is squall, but Irvine has the best limit ever: quick shot, dark shot and AP shot. 

Irvine made Seifer his bitch countless times because of that limit.

Aura and meltdown did make the game a broken mess, but it's a beautiful mess.

Meltdown really did make the game a broken mess. Break status for every boss? It's like they wanted the game to be a mess^^

I never used Meltdown though (except for Omega) because I never used any spells except for Aura. I just sliced, pummeled and shot every enemy to shit with physical attacks. Since getting spells takes a lot of work and since you can actually run out of spells I simply couldn't be arsed to use them. I mean what, does the game expect me to actually use up the rare and powerfull spells that I junctioned to my attack and defense stats?! Why would I do that when I can just beat every monster to a pulp with Zell? :D

And what is up with some of the girlfriend abilities? Full healing and full revives at zero cost?

The story of VIII was pretty forgettable but I enjoyed the junction system SO much because of how broken it was and because you could do so much with it. In a way it made all my characters blend together though, they all attacked the same way and had the same junctioned spell loadout. The only thing that made them unique were the limit attacks :P

And I think it also had some of the best fights. Bahamut and Ultima weapon were a lot of fun to get to, Omega was an awesome challenge that was fair but very unforgiving and seeing Odin slice up monsters was always fun, too! On my second playthrough I even got Odin after the fight against Seifer so I could keep him!

Edited by Käpt'n

The story of VIII was forgettable? I don't think so.

Finding out that Laguna was Squall's father may seem cliche now, but at the time it was a pretty big wtf moment for me.

Laguna's missing out on the piano chick who married General Caraway and became Rinoa's mother.

And the whole time loop thing leaving me wondering when the fuck it all actually started...

I like all the FFs with job systems; they just have lots more replayability for me. Okay Firefox squiggly line word-correcter, replayability is so too a word. It's deeper than FF3, with a unique soundtrack. FFT is pretty much the complete package as far as job-change customizable FFs go, but FF5 is still great. The Advance version too, even if the sound isn't as good and the new jobs aren't necessary.

I honestly feel the same way.  While FF3 wasn't exactly the best, and was pretty grindy, I loved the heck out of it.  Basically give me a Final Fantasy with job classes and I'll love it.  It's why I'm glad Bravely Default did so well, cause it showed Square that yes, we do like this kind of thing! 

Dragon Quest is better

That's a given, but good luck getting those in the west nowadays.

Phantasy Star, son. Specifically The End of the Millennium.

Oh man those games were amazing!  I should replay End of the Millennium soon.  It's so good!

Edited by The Scarlet Joker
Added words :3