Final Fantasy

aeroxwolf

You gotta give Laguna credit though! He and Irvine are the only two who are smart enough to bring high powered firearms to a fight instead of nunchakus, whips or sticking a blade on pistol grip in a desperate attempt to look cool! xD And don't get me started on Ward who chucks a giant harpoon at his enemies and then actually runs up to them to pick it back up!

You gotta give Laguna credit though! He and Irvine are the only two who are smart enough to bring high powered firearms to a fight instead of nunchakus, whips or sticking a blade on pistol grip in a desperate attempt to look cool! xD And don't get me started on Ward who chucks a giant harpoon at his enemies and then actually runs up to them to pick it back up!

At least Ward had a weapon. God I fucking hated Zell, why did he out of every possible character have to be the broken one?

The story of VIII was forgettable? I don't think so.

Hidden Content

it was for me. I mean. I don't remember half of ye guys are talking about anymore. I remember how broken the game was but story wise,  I really don't remember shit. Lol. Aside from the fact that no one mentions Angelo in a furry forum. 

FF13 was my first in the franchise and I loved it. The visuals, battles and soundtrack were stunning to my newbie eyes. 

Don't know why old fans hated it so much, though. Bunch of bitter nostalgia junkies >:c

it's cuz the story was so sub par. The linearity was just too straightforward. The exploration factor has been removed. The battle system was awkward. The characters weren't are pretty much forgettable. Vanille is a whiny bitch.  I was squares obsession with appealing to the west that lead to the creation of xiii. They only realized that mistake later in life. Cuz bravely default. Lol. 

But I do have to agree with yer points. It does have stunning visuals. The battle system was quite refreshing and strategic. Tho they didn't perfect that system till lightning returns. Lighting returns has a really great battle system with the schemata switching and such. It's got the perfect blend of turn based atb and action. Which as I mentioned before,  would be nice to have in the vii remake.

The soundtrack tho, Im not a big fan of it. It was ok at best for me. 

You know what game doesn't get enough love? Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Yeah, it's not as good as the original FFT, but the job depth is great and there's an absolute ton of stuff to do. Story's all over the place, but if you're in it for the challenge and don't mind putting up with weird rules it's not bad. I like how the main character just doesn't care he's in a video game world and is in no hurry to leave. Just like "eh, I had no plans for the summer anyway". Sorta nice to just have a game for the sake of a game instead of shoehorning a possibly hackneyed plot.

Oh, and having difficulty select at the beginning of the game. Why don't more RPGs do this? Hard mode right off the bat. No need to unlock. Nice.

Not the best FF, but a good one for the DS.

I will agree with 9 being the best of the series. And not just because of all the easter eggs to earlier games. The life and death issues and how so many of the characters react to them is really intriguing. Particularly with Vivi and Kuja being essentially the same yet such opposites.

• Like 2

I will agree with 9 being the best of the series. And not just because of all the easter eggs to earlier games. The life and death issues and how so many of the characters react to them is really intriguing. Particularly with Vivi and Kuja being essentially the same yet such opposites.

Someone posted a journal recently but it linked to a comment about Final Fantasy IX and they summed it up quite nicely:

"The overall theme and moral of this game was the question of life. Why were we all born only to die? The final boss, Necron, was a being with the single purpose of ending all life - the direct antagonistic view to the game's final outlook on life- and thus, was forshadowed in a way that wasn't completely noticeable. Not only did this add to that final boss shock value or revelation, but after it's defeat the question for the purpose of life is realized for each character in different ways. However, even with these different approaches, all the characters have basically reached the same conclusion; to live life to the absolute fullest no matter the circumstances. Honestly, thinking back on it now, if Necron had not appeared the game's ever-looming theme would not have been fully realized and the feeling of urgency in defeating the final boss would not have been the same. I rarely see any games, nowadays, that have dared to tackle this abstract and ambiguous theme, and it is for this reason that this is probably my favorite FF game of all time. The game literally invokes the player to search deep within their soul to encourage meaningful thoughts about one's own outlook on life."

• Like 2

FF13 was my first in the franchise and I loved it. The visuals, battles and soundtrack were stunning to my newbie eyes. 

Don't know why old fans hated it so much, though. Bunch of bitter nostalgia junkies >:c

It wasn't even my first and I loved it. The combat system required the player to time their attacks carefully, as when you attacked could affect whether you hit or missed an enemy (or multiple) or even if you hurt your allies (such as when throwing a grenade). Masashi Hamauzu's work was really refreshing and I really like him a lot more than Nobuo Uematsu's works. It was also quite reminiscient of FFX in ways, which he also worked on. The lack of random encounters meant that you controlled when battles started and new when they'd happen, and it wouldn't be as tedious exploring (even though exploration is almost non-existant in XIII). I also just love Sazh and Vanille. A lot of people like to bash on Vanille but her very cheery attitude towards things was cute and hard to hate. I love positive characters.

Some of my favorite tracks from it: Saber's Edge and The Sunleth Waterscape

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 3

6 was best. /endthread

So many stories all in one game. I also really felt some sort of draw to Terra's story for some reason. The overall feel of that game is just really hard to describe, but amazing. Plus teh musikz.

5 was also fairy good, though the end zone in 5 Advanced was a little too difficult for me to get into. It required you to grind to high levels to beat and get a certain setup for at least two of the bosses I was stuck on, which was really odd for me and so I gave up on it. Don't really remember the story, I just remember a couple bits here and there that I liked about it and the music was also pretty decent and music definitely makes and breaks games for me.

I really liked 10, that's probably my 2nd favorite. Good story and ok music, loved the Aeons thing, favorite was Ifrit fo sho.  3rd fav is Dissidia, which doesn't get enough love, even less love than 6, which is a shockingly low amount of love. Story was sub-par, but the music was pretty amazing and I enjoyed the combat quite a bit, plus character progression was a bit more interesting than in any normal game. Then 5 fits in there as my 4th place pick for it's ok story and pretty good music along with a few key moments of good things.

The only good part about that overhyped 7 was the kitty, Red I think was his name. And also (spoilers):

I quit after the one gal died, can't remember the name now. I wasn't really liking the game much to begin with, then kill a character I liked? nty

Edited by Kinare

The only good part about that overhyped 7 was the kitty, Red I think was his name.

Red XIII, aka Nanaki

And since this thread got me to farm a level or two in 5 (android version), to whoever made the decision that the Behemoth should have casting "meteo" as death trigger AND give 0 xp: FUCKYOU!

And ofcourse there needs to be a mention of the necromancer: "Hey, you beat the end boss in the extra content (which unlocks after the normal stuff, obviously)? Here, have a new Job!" …

Edit: That one gal? you mean Aerith?

Edited by Toboe

Hidden Content

If that was the first girl to kick the bucket, then yes. Not so concerned with it that I'm gonna go try to figure it out, but I was pretty peeved when that happened cuz I renamed her after me, and so that meant "me" essentially died and that's not fun.

Edited by Kinare

FF9 stuff

I always liked to just assume Necron was the Iifa Tree's true form that Soulcage mentioned when it said, "I have seen the end of my thousand-year life, and it is not now."

Makes Necron tie in a little better than the random giant space flea from nowhere it otherwise is. Explains the Iifa tree freaking out and dying at the end too.

• Like 2

The only FF games I've actually played to completion are Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

Its strange; I start a whole bunch of them but I never play to the very end. The farthest I'm in in any of the others is the last Sin fight in FFX and the middle of FFVII at the crater. I don't even know what's going on in FFVII's story. 

Edited by Battlechili

• 3 weeks later...

Currently playing through Final Fantasy V Advance. I wish I could play it on a more comfortable system, but honestly the Advance version of FFV is the only English one worth playing. The sprite work on the phone/PC versions is AWFUL for the characters and lacks all charm (translation is also stale). The PS1 version (playable on PSP and Vita) isn't bad but there the load times leave a lot to be desired.

But FFV is a really good game that sadly not a lot of people in the States will ever play. The story is decent (below IV and VI, but not terrible), but the combat mechanics and job system are really fantastically deep for a game of its era and it holds up well as being both challenging and interesting.

I've played all the Final Fantasy games and hold the series near and dear in my heart, although with some outliers being really poor to me (I think aside from Triple Triad that FFVIII is inventive but mostly garbage and FFXII is half a good game with a weird progression and good combat design). My next tattoo is likely going to be a Final Fantasy one and likely from Yoshitaka Amano's The Sky collection of Final Fantasy concept art. Maybe the bomb drawings for FFV? Still deciding.

Oh, and as of this post I have 1,150 hours in Final Fantasy XIV. I'm not saying that with pride, just with the acknowledgement of addiction I have to it. Game is fantastic, at least.

Because it was almost a Diagaea-level grindfest requiring you to build up insane combo attacks and such to even progress through the story at any reasonable pace, almost the exact opposite of how every other FF game has played.

Lightning was also very forgettable as a primary character.

You probably haven't played 13-2 or Lightning Returns. Since the series was a trilogy. And 13-2 did have one hell of a downer ending considering who they were dealing with especially if you bought the DLC.

You probably haven't played 13-2 or Lightning Returns. Since the series was a trilogy. And 13-2 did have one hell of a downer ending considering who they were dealing with especially if you bought the DLC.

which dlc is this? I never bought the DLC for xiii-2. But i think xiii-2 has a more coherent storyline compared to xiii. And that's given that the story is supposedly quite complex. 

• 3 weeks later...

The audio is the same though. Just a different language. Its not better, just different. I suppose the volume is a little lower though.

I actually was talking about the language. Lol.

The fact that the mouths don't sync with what they're saying bothers me. That and I find the Japanese voice actors do a much better job at voice acting in so many levels. 

To be fair they'll be able to adjust the Lip-syncing issues before release, they've probably just put a dub over the japanese scenes like they usually do with early trailers.

I'm normally an advocate for preferring japanese voices in jrpgs but I'm liking the english casting so far and it seems Cloud's VA is consistent with who he's been portrayed by so far, Barret sounds so familiar but I can't place him though the question remains will Aerith be voiced by Mena Suvari or Andrea Bowen or someone new.

I imagine Tifa will still be voiced by Rachael Leigh Cook and as for the rest no idea xD.

Edited by Naesaki

I would rather have an action oriented battle system like that than the trash that was XIII.

And honestly, I am surprised how far they are already with the developement. I did not expect the game to be released any time soon.

However, it looks like they will release it as an episodic thing!

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

That would certainly explain a lot I guess. If they do release it as episodes the footage could be from the first one, which explains why it looks so finished just half a year after the E3 announcement.

If they really want to flesh out the entirety of what they made and expand on certain aspects like Wutai's sidequest could be beefed up a hell of a lot more, Vincent and Yuffie could get some much more needed development I imagine this time around they won't be optional party members but more directly involved in the narrative, as that was the original plan but then it was changed last minute.

Yuffie actually gets quite a lot of dialogue throughout the game but Vincent tends to drop off completely so in the grand scheme of the plot he felt kind of hollow and ultimately he was statistically one of the more meh party members, had one of the lowest attack ratings but decent magic stat so I really hope they are fleshed out more, I mean yeah they get fleshed out in Dirge of Cerberus and Yuffie gets a minor bit in Crisis Core but I've always felt they needed more.

Red XIII gets a bit of the short end as well, it always felt like there should have been a side quest to save his father as though he's been petrified he is still alive in there and petrification can be cured in universe but it just kind of gets quickly forgotten after they go through that whole dungeon, there was also the whole thing about another of his species knocking about somewhere but that plot thread is quickly dropped as well.

The whole flashback sequence at Kalm could also be expanded a lot more I reckon, yeah its all from Clouds PoV and he is mostly filling the blanks as at this point in the story he still believes he was a 1st class soldier and that Zack wasn't even a probability in his mind which is why throughout the whole thing Tifa is questioning his version of events as she herself by this point already has tons of doubts about Clouds memories but keeps quiet about it.

Since this is going to be a multi-series I imagine it will be in three parts to go over how the game originally ends on each disc, so I would assume the end of the first part will be Aerith's death and the fight with Jenova Rebirth so part one will be a bit of a downer.

As long as they don't change the story as a whole but expand bits were there is definitely room for more to be told I think it would be wonderful. There is admittedly a lot of wholes throughout the whole game and this could be their chance to fill and fix these holes and I'm hoping since it is being split into three that is their ultimate plan with it, granted the higher ups will also be seeing this as a "lets milk as much money as possible out of this." but given the way Japanese devs are lately this isn't surprising.

I mean at least with Yuffie there are huge portions of the game were she has a lot of dialogue and input so she can feel missed in things, she actually chews Cait Sith / Reeve out the most for the whole hostage situation with Marlene when you think Tiffa and most certainly Barret would be angrier about it.

There are barely any points were Vincent will say much of anything in the story like so much about him was either cut or just plain not added in so he felt very tacked on.

Eh the whole story ultimately revolves around Cloud and Sephiroth so we couldn't really have that kind of situation though would be interested to see that kind of what if Cloud stayed behind.