Automatic or Manual Transmission?

Caretaker

Choose your preferred transmission  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your preferred transmission

• Automatic
    • Manual
    • Semi-Automatic

If they were not egregiously expensive outside America, I would probably own one, they're one of the few American-built sports cars that I prefer over the European models (which manage to be even more expensive and less fun, if you believe Clarkson :P ). A man once said you would have to be insane to buy a Corvette ZR1 over an Audi R8, and that is precisely why you should.

That's not a regular automatic transmission though, it even says it, "automated manual transmission" aka a hybrid. If I'm correct, they don't use torque converters but have a regular clutch only instead of a person pushing a pedal you have the computer driving an electric or hydraulic actuator when a gear change is called for.

You can't conclude that today's automatics (as distinct from an automated manual) out-perform a standard manual while focussing on one specific use-case; raw acceleration time. Torque Converters do a good job of this but at the same time incur large losses as does the automatic transmission itself which translates to reduced power output to the wheels and reduced fuel economy. A CVT transmission can make up for some of this by keeping the engine running at it's most efficient RPM range but that mostly applies to highway driving rather than stop-start city traffic.

I put my vote in for a manual and not just because essentially automatics are considered an luxury just like air conditioning, having driven both classes of car for weeks on end I can see why driving an auto can be quite nice but I prefer a manual hands down, and that includes the transmission choice when I do get to own a Camaro or Corvette.

Well if you look at the poll you would see a single vote for the manu-matic or semi-auto transmission. That was my vote. Technically they would be called a clutch-less stick. BMW has had one for quite a while now. I recently drove a 650 iL that had one (was quite fun). But they are still listed as an automatic transmission as the gearshift is not controlled by the driver and/or with a lever ( computer controlled).

Its also worth noting GM's new 8 speed paddle shifter, the 8L45 (simular to the 8L90) does have a torque converter. This transmission is in the Caddy CTS-V, Camaro SS, and the Corvette. And this automatic transmission is still faster than a manual in the same car. The Corvette with the auto trans goes 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds.

More info on GM's new transmission http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Aug/0820-8speed/0820-corvette-8-speed-lead.html

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

Some automatics are faster, sure. That tenth of a second is great for bench racing, real racing, or no talent lazy fucks who can't drive. Manuals are for driving enthusuasts.

Thats the kind of attitude I don't like. The ego driven "manuals are for real car enthusiasts". Head down to my local drag strip and tell that to the guys who competitively compete each weekend with 7-8 second cars (and also drive them on the street). Are manuals fun, yes. In my opinion older ones are save for a few new cars. I for one cannot stand and outright loathe electronic assisted clutches. The pedal is completely numb and I have no idea when the throw out bearing is going to engage/disengage.

Automatic trans technology is now to the point that even for enthusiast driving performance wise they are better. Does that equate to the fun factor in driving the car? No. My favorite car to this day is the 1956 Corvette roaster 3 speed with manual steering and manual drum brakes. I had such a blast driving that around.

But at the same time I can put a manual valve body in my 1986 Camaro and manually shift through the gears if I wanted to (future upgrade). But even as an automatic its fun to drive. Its a personal preference, the performance factor of a manual is being removed as new technology comes out.

Thats the kind of attitude I don't like. The ego driven "manuals are for real car enthusiasts". Head down to my local drag strip and tell that to the guys who competitively compete each weekend with 7-8 second cars (and also drive them on the street). Are manuals fun, yes. In my opinion older ones are save for a few new cars. I for one cannot stand and outright loathe electronic assisted clutches. The pedal is completely numb and I have no idea when the throw out bearing is going to engage/disengage.
Automatic trans technology is now to the point that even for enthusiast driving performance wise they are better. Does that equate to the fun factor in driving the car? No. My favorite car to this day is the 1956 Corvette roaster 3 speed with manual steering and manual drum brakes. I had such a blast driving that around.

But at the same time I can put a manual valve body in my 1986 Camaro and manually shift through the gears if I wanted to (future upgrade). But even as an automatic its fun to drive. Its a personal preference, the performance factor of a manual is being removed as new technology comes out.

We seem to be on the same page, so I don't know why you dont like my attitude. 

I get irritated when people use the "real car enthusiasts drive stick shifts" type statements.

I find it is an accurate generalization. Hey, I own an automatic. It's a simple 3-speed, and that's about all I can stand. It's good when sitting in retarded traffic. Manual valve bodies are great. Whatever. But I choose manual for the best drive.

I find it is an accurate generalization. Hey, I own an automatic. It's a simple 3-speed, and that's about all I can stand. It's good when sitting in retarded traffic. Manual valve bodies are great. Whatever. But I choose manual for the best drive.

Bad generalization in my opinion. Ive owned my Camaro for a decade and have been slowly rebuilding her. Its an automatic and more than likely will stay an automatic. A well built 700r4 is a great transmission. Doesn't make a person less of a gearhead if they happen to be building an automatic car. Personal preference is just that personal like or dislike, the gearhead community doesn't need the ego driven "your not a real gearhead if you don't X, Y or Z" type talk in it.

A 700r4 can be great. I loved the TH350 had coupled to a Chevy 350. That is a great combo. In fact, I had a three-on-the-tree coupled to a Chevy 350, and I found it just awful to drive. It would have been better as a three-speed automatic. However, A T-56 would have been even more betterer. I always come back to a manual as the best answer. 

I've always wanted to try out manual. I like the thought of having more control, and it looks fun. I always choose manual in racing games :P
But I'm scared I'll accidentally burn out the clutch because I don't know what I'm doing or if I'm not paying attention at certain times. I also imagine it's a pain in the ass at drive-thrus or in slow traffic...

I've always loved the idea of having an RPM gauge in a car though, regardless of transmission type.

Edited by Phausk
  • Like 1

I havent driven a manual since I was 16, I would be pretty rusty but I pick up on em quick. Been riding dirtbikes since I was 10 so I fully understand how a clutch/shifting works. Just gotta work it a bit differently on a car, can't be spinnin the tires every time you take off haha

Edited by grassfed

Most fun I ever had in this line of discussion was doing a Frankenstein job on my '94 Camaro Z28. I had burned the stock auto transmission on the track (what a shock the 4L60E shit itself after a few launches, I'm relatively certain what I had wrecked was the bands) and decided not to do a normal 1:1 replacement but rather a mutant transplant. So, with the help of the Z28 Forums and eBay I was able to procure a used Borg-Warner T56 transmission, the pedal setup and all the other miscellaneous bits and pieces necessary to do the conversion. There was metal grinding, there was swearing, there was an imperfect fit of the clutch plate... but it did get done after a few weeks of weekend effort in a friend's driveway. Now granted, when everything was over the speedo didn't clock out accurately anymore (it read at about 40% of actual speed) but it was still fun to drive and the extra control (as well as the improved MPG) was fantastic. I wish I'd stuck to my guns and bought a manual to begin with.

• Like 1

I get irritated when people use the "real car enthusiasts drive stick shifts" type statements.

Real car enthusiasts drive a stick shift with three gears (one is reverse), no synchromesh, and no clutch pedal. Probably into a ditch.

I know, what elitist losers, right? I mean, driving a stick can be fun, at times, but that hardly makes you a "real car enthusiast".

Pfffft!  

There is nothing in the definition of "enthusiast" that suggests anyone is having fun. Real car enthusiasts long for the excitement and symbiosis that is a driver behind the wheel of his computer controlled throttle by wire piece of shit that doesn't give a damn what you're right foot is doing because it knows which one if its nine speeds is best, even if you try to use the manual gear controls, you're probably wrong so don't even bother trying to actually drive, just push the pedals and let the computer assume it knows what is best. 

Edited by Sauvignon

• 2 weeks later...

Manual for driving, automatic for crawling along in traffic.  My daily commuter tends to be a slushbox, but my weekend toys are all stick.

Yeah, in the early '80's I tried commuting in a rather built 1964 Comet convertible. 289 built to 350 hp that was very lopey/loaded up easily. In a fit of brilliancy I installed a racing clutch in it and a very stiff Hurst shifter. It was not fun to drive in stop and go traffic. My left leg would be begging for mercy by the second mile of said abuse. I eventually sold it to my brother that made the exact same complaints.

For me, automatics during the week, hot lake boats on the weekend. Oh, and a stick shift truck to pull the boat to the lake.

I still kind of get freaked out whenever I'm driving my mom's automatic and the car just manages to hold itself on the hill. It's just so weird to me.

My car rolling back on a hill is so prevalent in my mind that when this happens my brain just assumes gravity is going that direction instead. It is unsettling.

Just pull a 2-spd rear end out of an old truck. Bonus: you get air brakes and dually wheels.

Okay, after you've butchered the body to clear your new dually tires from that monsterous rear end, you quickly learn the ratios used in the two speed axles are a direct ratio and an underdrive. Some go as deep as 7.18 to 1 ratio (or deeper). Besides, find a place to run a Bendix air compressor off your engine and space for the required valving.

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2015 at 5:41 PM, Rukh Whitefang said:

With todays technology automatics outperform manuals. It is what it is. Doesn't make the stick shift bad but the stick shift is not the best performance option out there anymore.

ERRR Not for those who got a dodge challenger or Dodge charger with their new 8 speed transmission, no matter how fast they shift, the transmission has friction and efficiency issues, and sucks up ~75 hp before u get to the wheels, that means if your motor has 300 hp, only 225 will ever hit the rubber.

BTW, ive gotten good enough with my TR-3650 manual in my 2007 Mustang GT that ive KOd everything from the new chargers, challengers, camaros, turbo fiats, turbo coopers, and a nice collection of imports as well.

Ive actually only lost one race so far, and that was a stingray so......  obviously someone who spends 3 years of my salary worth of money to buy a car will beat me.

First car was a manual '88 Supra, next car was an auto '94 Camaro Z28 (that car has a lonnnnng story and a lot of money behind it), and right now I drive a maunal Honda Prelude. And I can honestly say that even though the Camaro sounded so much meaner and would kick the other cars' asses, it was the least fun of the three. It was nice in traffic though, thankfully I live in Texas so it's mostly long stretches of roads but traffic in the Prelude is hell since the gears are so short

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2016 at 11:35 AM, Jerry said:

It's gotta have a clutch! Even better if it's an heavy-duty Eaton-Fuller Roadranger transmission. Plenty of shifting action!

build-start-007-jpg.657867

Not enough shifters! Where's the shifter for your Brownie!

You're not doing it right unless you're reaching through the steering wheel to pull that Brownie back into second gear while you're shifting your main box.

Two-stickers rule!

• Like 1

Two Sticker class 8 truck operation; Put the main box in second, brownie in second. Clutch out, start rolling. Floating the gears, brownie to third, then brownie to fourth. Now, Main box to third, brownie to second, At the same time, if you're brave. This is when you have to put your left(!) arm through the steering wheel spokes to shift that brownie.

This guy does it right, reaching through the wheel to shift the Brownie (Auxiliary) box. The main box is the long (right) shifter.

I guess I should day that the Brownlipe (Brownie) is a splitter for the main box, to give ratios in between the main gears. this was before the integral boxes such as the Fuller Road Rangers and Spicers. As you might guess, I have a Class A license although I do not drive for a living at the moment. The last one I drove with my uncle was a Pete Cabover with a Cummins 400 Big Cam Three tweaked up hard to 550 hp and a Road Ranger 13 speed.

• 1 year later...

I am torn between both...I love stick, and I absolutely love just...cruising comfortably in a big, floaty automatic sedan of any sort. (I certainly love my Lincolns...) but at the same time, my '85 Fiero GT I buitl the trans and engine in...can make me giggle like a little kid any day of the week, and it has a 4-speed stick. Depends on my mood really...if I just wanna cruise, I like my autos...if I want to get down on that pavement hard, corning those turns like a madman, and racing down in that money-gear...stick all day. I can do either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phaolfal said:

I dont mind either but i drive a manual. Manual is very common in Europe though and a lit of people consider it lazy to drive an automatic. Only problem is in heavy traffic you will wear out the clutch more. 

Definitely...I don't think anyone here enjoys driving a manual in horrible traffic lol (I live in the Seattle, WA area...traffic is horrriibbbblleeee everywhere here). They have their disadvantages and advantages though...manual is a direct drivetrain...autos rely on fluid PSI and are not direct at all. You can get a little bit more percentage of power out of a manual compared to an auto too.

• 6 years later...

There are even more Russian bots trapped in the spam filter.

Anyway, the difference between a manual and automatic transmission:

If you treat your manual like a race car, it's stupid easy to up shift, down shift, mis-shift, and money shift.  A money shift is a mis-shift that wrecks your engine, clutch, transmission, and drive train.  It's not impossible to money shift an automatic, but it's incredibly difficult.

But if you get out of your automatic after forgetting the handbrake and missing putting it all the way in Park, it can roll away from you shortly after.  The only way a manual can do the same is if you leave it out of gear as well as forgetting the handbrake.

I drive a manual now, a Mazda B2200 pickup barely bigger than a kei-truck, after my Subie's (automatic) transmission broke.