Nickelback

Phausk

Nickelback seems to be the most hated band in history and I'm not really sure why. Yeah, it's kind of an ongoing joke, which I find funny, but I really don't get the serious amount of hatred for this band. I used to love them when I was in high school, but slowly started finding them bland because a lot of their songs started sounding cookie cutter and they are generally overplayed. But aside from that and Chad Kroeger looking like a douche, what beef do people have with them?

Frankly, I still like their older material. Mostly the stuff they made before they hit it big. Like Fly, Curb, Detangler, See You At The Show, Leader of Men, Deep and their Elton John cover

I know my opinion is a very unpopular one, so proceed to state my taste in music is shit. :P

Edited by Phausk
  • Like 1

They're far from the worst band out there. I think people just hate them because they make pretty generic stuff almost like the rock equivalent of [some generic pop artist] and the people who listen to that kind of music really, really hate that unoriginal sound and hate it even more for being bombarded with it. And then of course there are people who 'hate' them to an intentionally excessive extent just because it's become a meme at this point.

Personally, I listen to (almost) any genre out there at least a little bit, including some pretty unoriginal popular stuff just because it's energetic and catchy and I don't care. So for me it never made any sense to hate Nickelback. I find them boring and I don't listen to them, but that's about the extent of my feelings toward them.

• Like 1

It's because they're more or less the living embodiment of the sort of 'souless', generic, corporate rock music no one actually likes. For example a lot of people point to an interview one of them did where they literally said something along the lines of "we only make music that marketers tell us to" or something like that. I mean they're not that bad, just completely unremarkable in virtually every was possible.

• Like 4

Nickelback aren't even bad really, they're just very repetitive and they never really change.

To be fair, the band AC/DC is the same way so I can't say I hate Nickelback for it. They found a sound that worked for them and their fanbase so good on them.

• Like 1

I like Nickelback. I own a ton of their music, and honestly, No Fixed Address is a really, really good album. It's also a bit of a departure from some of their older tropes, which is cool. Not a huge departure because this IS Nickelback, but still. I appreciate the differences.

I started listening to them when I was really young, and I guess I never stopped. Dark Horse is a good album, though Here and Now has some flaws. /shrug.

They're pop, but they play rock music, and sometimes I'm just in the mood for some easy-to-listen to pop music. So I turn to them.

I like Nickelback. I own a ton of their music, and honestly, No Fixed Address is a really, really good album. It's also a bit of a departure from some of their older tropes, which is cool. Not a huge departure because this IS Nickelback, but still. I appreciate the differences.

I started listening to them when I was really young, and I guess I never stopped. Dark Horse is a good album, though Here and Now has some flaws. /shrug.

They're pop, but they play rock music, and sometimes I'm just in the mood for some easy-to-listen to pop music. So I turn to them.

Same here. When I was little I'd hear Nickelback on the radio all the time, and my mom used to have a copy of All The Right Reasons (still my favorite of their albums to this day, No Fixed Address being a close second). Their music is just fun to listen to. Sure it can be kinda generic and repetitive, but it's what made them successful and it's what their fans like. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

I don't mind a few of their songs, but the problem I have is they only have a few good songs. I have not found a single album worth buying because I just don't like the majority of songs on there.

I buy music, but I usually preview songs on youtube first. At least with Itunes you can buy individual songs now but back in the day it was a pain in the ass decision on whether or not to buy the CD for one or two songs. And Nickelback was a band I had this problem with.

I remember my school played a Nickleback song over the PA system every morning for a whole week once. No explanation or anything, they just did. Still haven't got any clue why even two years later.

The brainwashing began.

• Like 1

The real problem with Nickelback is how much their songs sound the same. They aren't the only band to be seen as uninventive, bands like AC/DC and Rage Against the Machine can fall under the same criticism - but they have a sound that's instantly recognisable. Everybody can recognise an AC/DC song right away. Nickleback is a special case as it's sound is verrrry generic that there isn't a real reason you would get up and jam to. Like, you would never go out of your way to listen to Nickleback. I guarantee you wouldn't.

I'll also just leave this here. It's satire but it sums up opinion.

The real problem with Nickelback is how much their songs sound the same. They aren't the only band to be seen as uninventive, bands like AC/DC and Rage Against the Machine can fall under the same criticism - but they have a sound that's instantly recognisable. Everybody can recognise an AC/DC song right away. Nickleback is a special case as it's sound is verrrry generic that there isn't a real reason you would get up and jam to. Like, you would never go out of your way to listen to Nickleback. I guarantee you wouldn't.

I'll also just leave this here. It's satire but it sums up opinion.

I've gone out of my way to listen to Nickelback. Almost got to see them this year until Chad Kroeger had to have emergency surgery on his voice box :(

But yeah. They do have a very generic "radio rock" sound, though at this point, I feel like other bands are copying them in some respect. Theory of a Deadman are a poor man's Nickelback with more offensive, misogynistic lyrics. They're good live though, so at least there is that.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Trivium has the exact opposite problem. They have all the talent in the world, yet they can't make up their damn minds. They have gone all over the place, from metalcore to power metal and thrash to speed metal to death metal to hardcore. All their music is phenomenal, but no two albums are alike.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Trivium has the exact opposite problem. They have all the talent in the world, yet they can't make up their damn minds. They have gone all over the place, from metalcore to power metal and thrash to speed metal to death metal to hardcore. All their music is phenomenal, but no two albums are alike.

Which hasn't exactly pleased their fans. Holy shit the outrage over Silence in the Snow, which has some of the band's best vocals ever. But no. They stopped screaming and now "YOU ARE PUSSY METAL FAGGOT BANDS I HATE YOU"

No one can win :(

Which hasn't exactly pleased their fans. Holy shit the outrage over Silence in the Snow, which has some of the band's best vocals ever. But no. They stopped screaming and now "YOU ARE PUSSY METAL FAGGOT BANDS I HATE YOU"

No one can win :(

I dunno, I quite like Silence in the Snow. I think it is a step in the right direction.

I dunno, I quite like Silence in the Snow. I think it is a step in the right direction.

It's a solid album, and I certainly don't begrudge the band for changing their sound at all. Some bands get away with one sound (Nickelback), and others don't. I prefer the ones that change things up.

But shit, Shogun is still their best album and I don't see that changing anytime soon, especially if this is the direction they are going in.

• Like 1

Nickelback aren't even bad really, they're just very repetitive and they never really change.

To be fair, the band AC/DC is the same way so I can't say I hate Nickelback for it. They found a sound that worked for them and their fanbase so good on them.

ha! I knew I wasn't alone!

hell's bells and highway to hell sound exactly the same to me

This is one of my all time favorite threads.  I can finally vent on this.  Nickelback sucks ass.  My favorite image of them was a show in Spain where the fans threw rocks and forced them off.  

Their ultra-ghetto doppelgänger is Bag of Nickels 

I'm not entirely sure how they sound the same to you. Hells Bells is in C Major, Highway to Hell is in A Major. H2H is even faster in tempo in spite of having longer rest periods between notes.

they're definitely different looking at the specific riffing, chords, and so on, but the forms are really quite similar. the two motives for each have similar motion, but they're definitely not the same

i think it's also just ac/dc's sound in general. they don't change anything in timbre from song to song.

• Like 1

ha! I knew I wasn't alone!

hell's bells and highway to hell sound exactly the same to me

Almost all AC/DC songs have a steady riff, start with a verse, and have a chorus that involve chanting the song's name a bunch of times. Think about it. Highway to Hell, Hell's Bells, Have a Drink on Me, TNT, Thunderstruck... All of these songs are classic yet all of them are just chanting the title of the song over and over.

This is one of my all time favorite threads.  I can finally vent on this.  Nickelback sucks ass.  My favorite image of them was a show in Spain where the fans threw rocks and forced them off.  

"I don't like their music so I hope they get hurt at their live shows"

Fuck off man.

• Like 3

Found the dickhead.
I don't care how much you hate Nickelback. Wishing harm against them because you don't like them is fucking disgusting.

• Like 1

Found the dickhead.I don't care how much you hate Nickelback. Wishing harm against them because you don't like them is fucking disgustin

They suck and so do you.  Eat me you Toby.  Calm the fuck down it's a shit band.  

Edited by Yarra

For a band to be "bad" though they have to be worse than average. Nickelback is pretty much the epitome of average, they're not great but they're not bad either. For a band to be bad they have to like, fuck up at all their shows and stuff. Y'know, like Dragonforce.