of satyrs and folkaholics -the pagan and folk thread

Caledonian

Damn i almost missed this thread. I'm a fan of celtic and gaelic folk music but i haven't listened to any in quite a while, used to listen to a traditional music program on BBC Alba but i didn't get to see much. I also listen to a fair bit of American alt country and a lot of that stuff has folk elements, i'm not in a position to say what is and isn't folk in that regard though. Anyway, here's some noise.

ooh! I like it!
here, have a selection by me:

Some awesome songs

I love it Fiddler's Green was absolutely amazing and Orthodox Celts was fantastic also.  Folk music is a beloved genre of mine.  Here are some of my favorites

These guys are my current favorite Irish folk band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF6MTwACKZk

Also really like this Scottish folk band

Oh and I absolutely adore Quebecois folk music

I also listen to a good bit of folk punk bands, but I will refrain from posting them for now because I don't want to flood this thread.

But folk punk is awesome -_-

Alright ask and ye shall receive here are just a few of my favorites

The Dreadnoughts - Paulina

The Rumjacks - Jolly Executioner

Amadan - Johnny Jump Up

Flogging Molly - Devils's Dance Floor

And these next guys tend to be a little more country then folk, but I still think they are great.  Plus you can download all their music for free off their bandcamp page.

Sydney City Trash - Ten Thousands Miles Away

• Like 1

awesome!

I absolutely love the rumjacks and flogging molly too.

if you have the chance look up:

Scrum
Fiddlers Green
the royal spuds
the Black Tartan Clan

I can't link videos right now sorry!

OMG you actually know about the Rumjacks!  Some one else has actually heard and enjoys some of the same obscure bands that I listen to.  I will definitely check out those other bands you listed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Omg I LOVE FOLK MUSIC

I'm mostly hearing Folk metal and Folk rock, my fav bands are Alestorm, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Feuerschwanz and Fiddler's.

But there are also some cool more traditional bands like Folkstone or Gilead (they're awesome)

Here's the traditional folk band: https://youtu.be/MsFuXhQ8HeY

And here's the finish band Korpiklaani:

https://youtu.be/GWCowljfU0s

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joshi said:

Omg I LOVE FOLK MUSIC

I'm mostly hearing Folk metal and Folk rock, my fav bands are Alestorm, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Feuerschwanz and Fiddler's.

But there are also some cool more traditional bands like Folkstone or Gilead (they're awesome)

Here's the traditional folk band: https://youtu.be/MsFuXhQ8HeY

And here's the finish band Korpiklaani:

https://youtu.be/GWCowljfU0s

I'm familiar with Korpiklaani, turisas and alestorm. and fiddlers of freaking course but you already knew that. 
listening to Gilead right now and Liking what I hear! LIKING IT A LOT. 
For traditionals I like:
Gaelic Storm
Rapalje (they were the band with which it all started for me)
Scocha
Irish decendants
The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (an anctual scoittish army organ too)
the sandsacks (because great memories)

I don't even know how I found them. I think it was when I did some guitar covers of Sons of Skyrim. They get way not enough attention. There aren't many traditional medieval bands out there and most of them just use like a bagpipe and drums but Gilead uses many traditional instruments. I can hear harps, a-flutes, bagpipes, exotic drums and many other instruments I probably don't even know. They could come straight from middle-earth :D

22 hours ago, Joshi said:

I don't even know how I found them. I think it was when I did some guitar covers of Sons of Skyrim. They get way not enough attention. There aren't many traditional medieval bands out there and most of them just use like a bagpipe and drums but Gilead uses many traditional instruments. I can hear harps, a-flutes, bagpipes, exotic drums and many other instruments I probably don't even know. They could come straight from middle-earth :D

so they could, so they could. for bagpipes and wardrums I like The Sassenachs and Capud Draconis  (expecially life...not much on youtube for them two) the Sassenachs is pure drums and pipes. capud draconis uses more instruments (and the quality of the vid is better too)
Rapalje calls themselves mideaval too

9 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

@Caledonian  Don't worry I will always check this thread when I see new posts in it sadly I rarely have more bands to share that I haven't already posted, but I always keep an ear out for new music.

@Joshi  Yes I love both Korpiklaani and Alestorm and I am glad to have another person posting in this thread.

agreed. Joshi is a great contribution.

xD folk cchristmas song yeah! Love it :P

Mh can't find a youtube link.

But I have a band singing completly in Latin, which sounds amazing. You could search for Folkstone - In caduta libera on spotify if you have it :P

They're awesome

6 hours ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Ohhh... I love this!

We definitely need to keep this "club" going, I need a new stream of interesting Folk music since it can be hard to find at times!

Yup. My preferred ones are more of these, paganic folk or whichever Faun is. Less of the Fiddler's Green types of rovers. These have such a great athmosphere.

Edited by Muugu

Enya screams more of New Age to me than celtic/pagan/folk. Nothing wrong with it, real nice relaxing tunes nonetheless. Especially the one you linked, super smooth.

On that genre Enigma is one of my faves, but this thread is about mostly about Folk and such so I'll not derail it.

have some folk metal

Eisblumen is also really good

4 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

I dunno, in my opinion Folk Metal still falls under the Folk category.

It does it does. I meant not linking Enigma since it is largely just new age. Subway to Sally is Folk metal and deffo folk ^^

7 hours ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Ahhh, makes sense.

Yeah, it's odd to think new age must be a split from folk... but I wonder exactly where and when in time that happened?

Uuuh, I really don't like to go too deep into genre separation. The lines get blurry. I guess it separated around the time digital instruments became a thing and traditional sounds got filled with  computer soundscapes for chillness. 

But then again Subway for example seems to use digital samples in their electric piano so I can't really say. 

This is just a very, very wild guess though. In all honesty I have no idea.

New age has a lot of folk influences anyway. They overlap hereand  there too, you see that in more genres. If you listen to "rood" by marco borsato you might feel a folk tingle too, even though it is dutch pop

With enya I think its really close upto the folk genre so I noted her. With that we went a bit of topic though, so Ill make up for that.

have something that cant shout anything but folk in your faces. The Wolfe Tones, irish rebel music. Oh how I love it.

Edited by Caledonian
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2016 at 9:45 PM, Derin Darkpaw said:

Found this cute little accordion and mandolin duo.  Unfortunately they don't have a lot of music on youtube and they only have 1 album with only 5 songs on it.

oh that IS nice :P

I just realised I haven't introduced some of the heavier bands yet!

WARNING: BAGPIPES AND METAL

I AM BREAKING THE RULES

4 hours ago, Caledonian said:

*yealous*

I want to see them tooooooo :( 

the Dubliners came to Fields of Folk but I missed that...

No point in see The Dubliners, none of the original lineup is alive. As for The Wolfe Tones, if you get a chance I recommend going to see them, they are still very lively and promote a family friendly atomosphere (whether the crowd respects that or not is up to them)

4 minutes ago, Kinharia said:

No point in see The Dubliners, none of the original lineup is alive. As for The Wolfe Tones, if you get a chance I recommend going to see them, they are still very lively and promote a family friendly atomosphere (whether the crowd respects that or not is up to them)

I know...but well, Scrum had invited them for the Fields so....

alright ^^ I hope I get to see them then

• Like 1

I'm deeply surprised by the lack of Fintroll, Heidevolk, or even Eluvietie.

And, they have the added benefit of letting me listen to them without being constantly reminded of an idiotic lead vocalist, unlike a CERTAIN black metal band with folk elements.

6 hours ago, VulpineTaco said:

I'm deeply surprised by the lack of Fintroll, Heidevolk, or even Eluvietie.

And, they have the added benefit of letting me listen to them without being constantly reminded of an idiotic lead vocalist, unlike a CERTAIN black metal band with folk elements.

:P I always start laughing when heidevolk plays. My native language is dutch and their Gelderse accent is so strong its hilarious.

10 hours ago, Caledonian said:

:P I always start laughing when heidevolk plays. My native language is dutch and their Gelderse accent is so strong its hilarious.

I tend to hear that from a lot of Dutch people. Apparently a lot of people seem to find songs sung in their native language a bit silly, or at least some of them.

• Like 1

I really like it. It's almost kinda country. The music video is also cute xD

Here's my absolute favourite song lately. In the shittiest quality ever :/

Just search it on Spotify. It has a really great good mood feeling to it. You just wanna dance with it :D

The refrain translated is about "When I'll be dead, when I'll be dead, when I'll be dead, you're supposed to dance, dance". 

16 hours ago, Joshi said:

I really like it. It's almost kinda country. The music video is also cute xD

Here's my absolute favourite song lately. In the shittiest quality ever :/

Just search it on Spotify. It has a really great good mood feeling to it. You just wanna dance with it :D

The refrain translated is about "When I'll be dead, when I'll be dead, when I'll be dead, you're supposed to dance, dance". 

what sonnngggg?

On 1/19/2016 at 11:22 PM, Joshi said:

Aye ye filthy folkers. Here's moar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDHu_jB-g8

Really a great song!

AYYY I LOVE THIS

I love the Black Tartan Clan, not only for their music, but also for the message they spread.

16 hours ago, Joshi said:

Awesomesauce! Though I don't buy CDs anymore but cool!

aww :C CD's are awesome though!
WIN_20160124_141238.JPG.e38a24643673f6a2

these are all folk CD's I own, 4 of these are signed by the artists.

Fiddlers green - sports day at killaloe
Rapalje - hearts
Rapalje - Into Folk
Scrum - the Unforseen (autographed)
Fiddlers Green- Winners and Boozers
Rapalje - Spades
Fiddlers Green - 25 blarney Roses
Scrum - pro Libertate
Fiddlers Green - Drive me Mad
Capud Draconis - musica divina
Royal Scots Dragoon Guards - Ault lang syne
The Royal Spuds - it's a fecking freakshow (autographed)
Rapalje - Ruiten (autographed)
Cobblestones - eating trifle
Wolfstone - year of the dog
The High Kinds - friends for life
Sassenachs - seas la idir
Rapalje - clubs (autographed)
(not in the photo) The dark design - the story of the southern swell (autographed)
Runrig - Proterra
Runrig - the stamping ground
Scrum - killing time
The royal Spuds - Drunk 'n alive
Fiddlers Green - the wall of folk