Fighting Games

Lucyfish

• 1 month later...

Akuma is coming to tekken 7 apparently.  So wait. Does this mean that tekken x street fighter is coming soon? With footage like this, I wouldn't be surprised if e3 this year will have some sort of announcement about  it finally. Ito been so long since anyone really heard about it. 

That sucks, the games with really good netcodes i played where soul calibur 5 and skullgirls, skullgirls was really good because it uses GGPO which most any fighting game should use. Soul caliburs net code is also good and it was one of the main games i played fighting game wise for a while, Tira was my main.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

You get access to the beta by preordering the game. It's set to release on the 16th.

It keeps getting more and more like SF4 though. x-x

ah well none of the SF games have been really the type of speed i like in fighting games, the only SF game i raelly liked was 3rd strike and that was mainly cause of the cast and not the mechanics.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

I can't handle the parry meta in 3rd Strike. It's way too much to think about and it hurts my tiny fish brain. ;-;

I love parrying personally. It's broken as shit but it adds such an awesome level of mind game potential. Also successfully full parrying a combo with a sliver of health and making a comeback is still one of the most satisfying things ever. A mothafuckin' REAL man's x-factor.

Although if they did re-add parrying I think it'd be neat if they give it some kind of limit, maybe like a parry gauge or something to balance it a little. Of course I'm bad at video games so that could be an awful idea.

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I love parrying personally. It's broken as shit but it adds such an awesome level of mind game potential. Also successfully full parrying a combo with a sliver of health and making a comeback is still one of the most satisfying things ever. A mothafuckin' REAL man's x-factor.

Although if they did re-add parrying I think it'd be neat if they give it some kind of limit, maybe like a parry gauge or something to balance it a little. Of course I'm bad at video games so that could be an awful idea.

Actually certain characters in SF5 do have parries! It's a bit easier for me to handle because I don't have to think about the parry at all times, just for certain matchups.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Actually certain characters in SF5 do have parries! It's a bit easier for me to handle because I don't have to think about the parry at all times, just for certain matchups.

Oh really? I haven't followed SFV like at all so I have zero idea. Is it like Gouken's psuedo-parry in SFIV or is it a legit honest-to-god one?

5 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I know in skullgirls they gave Big Band a parry but it worked very differently from 3rd strike parries. Also I sort of prefer instant block things.

Also since you mentioned it UMvC3 is super fun and hella hype to watch for all it's broken nonsense. Even the bullshit zoning is ridiculous and kind of hype or at least very pretty to see.

Edited by AlastairSnowpaw

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

Oh really? I haven't followed SFV like at all so I have zero idea. Is it like Gouken's psuedo-parry in SFIV or is it a legit honest-to-god one?

It is sort of a mix of the two. Like, Ryu has his parry for example, and what it is is a quick movement that has one hit of super armor, and Ryu has positive frames afterwards so he can punish after it. So for all intents and purposes, while the parry is technically different, it works exactly the same.

1 minute ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

Also since you mentioned it UMvC3 is super fun and hella hype to watch for all it's broken nonsense. Even the bullshit zoning is ridiculous and kind of hype or at least very pretty to see.

UMvC3 is the least fun, most boring fighting game in history. xD

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Phoenix Wright is still the best character in that game.

Goddammit Capcom...why? Why do you insist on shitting on my hopes and dreams?

cause capcom is pretty rude X3

i would say i prefer Arcsys fighting games but the amount of updates they do that change everything for characters makes it hard, still I love guilty gear though.

On 2/1/2016 at 4:05 PM, AlastairSnowpaw said:

So what's the hardest combo's people here have learned. right now i'm leaning Venoms B&B combo which requires an instant air dash in the middle of it which is definitely very funky.

PK Fire+Dash Grab+Down Throw+Fair+Fair

A real man's combo

Okay, a serious answer: my friends play Mortal Kombat X a lot, which I'm not a fan of, personally, but I indulge them. I usually pick Kung Jin because he has effective projectiles, insane melee reach (by MK standards) and really good juggle potential. They get too far out of range? Reset with a dive kick and keep staffing them.

I love fighters. They are my favorite genre of games, alongside rpgs. I'm especially passionate about Tekken, early KOF, and Guilty Gear. I really love 2D fighters more than anything. I haven't been all that competitive in years though, but still play the hell out of them when I get the chance. 

On 1/31/2016 at 8:24 PM, PastryOfApathy said:

Agreed.

Edited by MuttButt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucyfish said:

Mortal Kombat is fun but it becomes really dumb at high-level play. The entire meta of the game degenerates into doing lots of target block strings while throwing in high-low mixups until you can confirm into combos.

MK has always been really dumb in any kind of competitive environment (although nothing ever reaches the levels of sheer retardation that "competitive" UMK3 ever did...even  if MK9 ended up giving a nod to it). Which when you think about it is incredibly fitting seeing as Mortal Kombat in general has always been unbelievably stupid. I mean this is the game series that gave us such memorable innovations such as "Hara-Kiri's" and 1-hit-kill death traps that you could just be thrown into within literally 2-seconds. Really what I'm getting at is MK: Deception is fucking awful and that stupid fuck Shujinko can suck my disappointed middle-school dick.

Man I could rant about MK all day since love that shit to little, increasingly absurd pieces. I mean I still have a copy of MKII for the SNES even though that game is awful, except it magically isn't because IT'S FUCKING MORTAL KOMBAT. 1v1 me outworld flesh pits mothafucker

• Like 1

I just hate factory made combos in general. It's bad enough having to memorize the moves for each character, but then expecting me to memorize some string of random button presses that I basically HAVE to learn in order to get good? No, thank you. Unless you do it like in The Last Blade 2 where each pre-made super combo for each character uses the same sequence; in that case it's not as bad. But I definately prefer combos you can do on your own, ala the street fighter games. 

1 hour ago, malibu said:

I love fighting games. My favorite has to be Darkstalkers though, mostly since I grew up having a huge crush on Felicia and Morrigan. I also really appreciate Bloody Roar for all it's animal goodness. 

I always liked how fast-paced the DS games were too. Way much more than "Street fighter in a halloween costume", as one reviewer infamously referred to it as once. 

3 hours ago, malibu said:

I love fighting games. My favorite has to be Darkstalkers though, mostly since I grew up having a huge crush on Felicia and Morrigan. I also really appreciate Bloody Roar for all it's animal goodness. 

i only played a bit of darkstalkers but it is really fun.

Also combos are really fun and i like learning that stuff, though some combos can be annoying, specically Arcsys combos that require dashes in the middle of combos are really rough.

1 hour ago, Eggdodger said:

What fighting games do you guys play with really good netcode/online capabilities? I love fighting games, but my friends are decidedly less enthusiastic about them, generally speaking.

Skullgirls on pc has an amazing netcode because it uses GGPO. However the issue is there's few players are on it and facing good players in skullgirls can be more discouraging than other games because they will reset you for days and you won't even able to tell what's going on. Basicaly you would need a friend to train with in skullgirls in order to take advantage of the online.

Soul calibur 5 has an amazing netcode but i haven't been on it in years so i don't know the population for that game.

Once i play guilty gear xrd more i'm going to try the netcode for that.

1 minute ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

Skullgirls on pc has an amazing netcode because it uses GGPO. However the issue is there's few players are on it and facing good players in skullgirls can be more discouraging than other games because they will reset you for days and you won't even able to tell what's going on. Basicaly you would need a friend to train with in skullgirls in order to take advantage of the online.

Soul calibur 5 has an amazing netcode but i haven't been on it in years so i don't know the population for that game.

Once i play guilty gear xrd more i'm going to try the netcode for that.

That happens to me all the time online in Tekken, anyways. I've kind of come to accept it as a staple of the genre: don't get hit x3

I loved the older Soul Caliber games! I might look at it.

Same for Guilty Gear. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

Just now, Eggdodger said:

That happens to me all the time online in Tekken, anyways. I've kind of come to accept it as a staple of the genre: don't get hit x3

I loved the older Soul Caliber games! I might look at it.

Same for Guilty Gear. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

no problem also soul calibur 5 has one of the best character customization i have seen in any game.

37 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

no problem also soul calibur 5 has one of the best character customization i have seen in any game.

Oh! Now that you mention that, I have played it! My sister's fiance has it. My sister made a bunch of ridiculous characters xD In which case, yes, I love it! I'm just not good at it. I like Edge Master because I have a general idea of how most characters play (and I generally don't like staying the same character all the time)