Fighting Games

Lucyfish

Skullgirls has one major issue. It's Marvel vs. Capcom. No matter how different you package MvC, you can't make it good. At high level, Skullgirls is just fucking awful. It looks very pretty and stuff, just like Marvel, but when it comes down to it it's a game about pressing as many frantic buttons as possible and throwing out mixup after mixup until you can confirm into one single hit and proceed with a 15 year long combo.

In terms of netcode, Killer Instinct has a famously great netcode and it is due for a PC release soon.

Edited by Lucyfish

1 hour ago, Lucyfish said:

but when it comes down to it it's a game about pressing as many frantic buttons as possible and throwing out mixup after mixup until you can confirm into one single hit and proceed with a 15 year long combo.

The only fighting game this doesn't really describe is soul calibur, and even then there's viola. It also doesn't describe Divekick sicne there's only 1 hit combos in that game. That's a super shitty inaccurate description of any fighting game. most all fighting games have long combos; guilty gear, blazblue, tekken, killer instinct (shout outs to 100 hit combos on dead characters, which is the biggest motivator to why i would play this game if i got the chance) , persona arena, SF third strike, and many others. Also with the undizzy system you can't really kill someone in one hit, you need to put in 2-3 resets at least in order to get the kill. Pretty much Every fighting game has long combos and to hate a fighting game for it is just silly.

Edited by AlastairSnowpaw

1 minute ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

The only fighting game this doesn't really describe is soul calibur, and even then there's viola. It also doesn't describe Divekick sicne there's only 1 hit combos in that game. That's a super shitty inaccurate description of any fighting game. most all fighting games have long combos; guilty gear, blazblue, tekken, killer instinct (shout outs to 100 hit combos on dead characters, which is the biggest motivator to why i would play this game if i got the chance) , persona arena, SF third strike, and many others. Also with the undizzy system you can't really kill someone in one hit, you need to put in 2-3 resets at least in order to get the kill. Pretty much Every fighting game has long combos and to hate a fighting game for it is just silly. 

Combos in Street Fighter never last over 5 seconds, and if they do it's only because of a Super or Ultra animation.

Comparing Street Fighter combos to Marvel combos is like comparing grass to corn stalks.

Also, Killer Instinct has combo breakers specifically to keep the neutral game going. If you get hit by a long combo it's because you fucked up your breaker, not because you got your toe touched by attacks that are all over the screen.

19 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Combos in Street Fighter never last over 5 seconds, and if they do it's only because of a Super or Ultra animation.

Comparing Street Fighter combos to Marvel combos is like comparing grass to corn stalks.

Also, Killer Instinct has combo breakers specifically to keep the neutral game going. If you get hit by a long combo it's because you fucked up your breaker, not because you got your toe touched by attacks that are all over the screen.

I was more so talking about skullgirls than street fighter but street fighter has stuff like 3rd strike Yun's Genei Jin combos which do quite a fair amount of damage and are pretty long. Also in terms of combos street fighter has way more combos than Soul calibur.

that being said i know you have a hate boner for MvC and nothing i say or do will change that. How do you feel about games like guilty gear and blazblue which also have really long combos but play differently from MvC?

Edited by AlastairSnowpaw

Just now, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I was more so talking about skullgirls than street fighter but street fighter has stuff like 3rd strike Yun's Genei Jin combos which do quite a fair amount of damage and are pretty long. Also in terms of combos street fighter has way more combos than Soul calibur

that being said i know you have a hate boner for MvC and nothing i say or do will change that. How do you feel about games like guilty gear and blazblue which also have really long combos but play differently from MvC?

Genei-Jin with Yun requires a full Super meter, which can take over a single round to build up.

Also, my main issue with Skullgirls and MvC isn't even the combos. Like I said, it's the meta of how they are played. Both games are all about spamming the screen with as much bullshit as possible while throwing in tons of mixups. Spacing and footsies do not matter a single bit in those games.

Anime fighters like BB and GG I do enjoy more, because those games have more of a neutral metagame to them. You're not pressing buttons at all times, you're squaring off and poking each other, you're keeping ranges and spacing in mind. I find long combos annoying but they don't break games for me, it's the meta that can break a game. I just really dislike the meta of SG and MvC.

8 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Genei-Jin with Yun requires a full Super meter, which can take over a single round to build up.

Also, my main issue with Skullgirls and MvC isn't even the combos. Like I said, it's the meta of how they are played. Both games are all about spamming the screen with as much bullshit as possible while throwing in tons of mixups. Spacing and footsies do not matter a single bit in those games.

Anime fighters like BB and GG I do enjoy more, because those games have more of a neutral metagame to them. You're not pressing buttons at all times, you're squaring off and poking each other, you're keeping ranges and spacing in mind. I find long combos annoying but they don't break games for me, it's the meta that can break a game. I just really dislike the meta of SG and MvC.

ah okays that makes sense. 

52 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

I don't know if you guys are the r/kappa brand of fighting game fans who don't consider SSBM a "real" fighting game or not, but here's my favorite combo video anyways!

Cool video. I agree with calling SSBM a fighting game. I think it would be a little absurd not to consider the Smash Bros a fighting game. I wonder what core fight gamers are going to think about Pokken Tournament as it streamlines the mechanics of Tekken

36 minutes ago, Taikugemu said:

I don't play fighting games anymore because I'm a sore loser. :c

There nothing worse playing a fighting game for hours and then have a friend beat you just with random button pressing.

Edited by Maug
  • Like 1

there's a fighting game someone made in little big planet 2 that I would pay money for someone to make a full version of

you control each limb with one of the trigger buttons, and have full physics and your limbs can break because of how lbp is set up

its like rock em sock em robots mixed with sumo

(cant really find any great vids of it but you get the idea here)

(volume warning these guys are screamers, the commentary sucks anyway)

Edited by Aresh
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MuttButt said:

I don't know if you guys are the r/kappa brand of fighting game fans who don't consider SSBM a "real" fighting game or not, but here's my favorite combo video anyways!

I consider the Smash series as much of a fighting game as I do the PvP in dark souls, both of these things i have more likely played more so than any one traditional fighting game. also there is already a smash series thread so we don't really need to double on talking it here.

Though i will post one of my favorite fighting game videos ever. N-Otoko also being one of my favorite players of any fighting game scene.

Also that Little big planet fighter thing is hilarious and awesome.

On 2/9/2016 at 11:50 PM, MuttButt said:

Man, I sure do miss maining Capt. Falcon...

On 2/10/2016 at 11:22 AM, Terminal7 said:

Are the WWE games considered to be fighting games? It would make sense for it to be, right?

Definitely not. The WWE games can't be played in any sort of competitive sense, they have utterly no balance and no way of putting skill versus skill.

They can be quite fun, though. x3

11 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Definitely not. The WWE games can't be played in any sort of competitive sense, they have utterly no balance and no way of putting skill versus skill.

They can be quite fun, though. x3

Speaking of competitive sense did you ever see any of the Catherine tourneys? those where pretty funny.

Also those mystery tourneys that one of the big nationals does, i forget it's name, look really fun. 

3 hours ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

Speaking of competitive sense did you ever see any of the Catherine tourneys? those where pretty funny.

Also those mystery tourneys that one of the big nationals does, i forget it's name, look really fun. 

Yeah, we used to have small Catherine tournies in Cencal when I lived over there. It's neat to watch.

Just now, Imperial Impact said:

as well as inputs and single player content 

also cinematic art is bad.

Inputs? What do you mean? I've had utterly no input issues whatsoever.

And the game already has more single player content than any Street Fighter game before it did. A survival (AKA arcade) mode AND a story mode, though the story mode is currently incomplete.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played a quite a few fighters: Battle Arena Toshiden, Soul Edge and Soul Caliber II, Tekken II and III, a number of Mortal Kombat titles, King of Fighters 2006, and Dead or Alive. The one I like most would have to be KOF 2006 for the variety of moves and characters, but I it doesn't have much in the way of weapons. Battle Arena Toshiden has a wide variety of weapons and specials, but it's not as fluid as some of the other titles.

Edited by Arcturus Maple

3 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

I haven't played a fighting game Online in a long, long time.

I'd love to play Street Fighter II or King of Fighters XIII with somebody from Phoenix sometime.

I uninstalled KoF 13 qq

Also I'm garbage at it lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

if you mean release a slightly different version of the game each year fighting games have been doing that well before dlc stuff. pretty sure fighting games have always done it and done it way before CoD. Though in fighting games slight changes mean way more than they can in any shooter.

Arksys games is way worse at it than capcom games have been in terms of releasing a new version of the same game each year, which is kind of why i dropped blazblue.

Though you may be talking about something else besides that.