Weight loss / Diet thread

Kellie Gator

I remember there being a thread like this on the old FAF and I figured I wanted to revive this discussion so we could talk it over and I wanna hear some input and shit.

You see, Kellie Gator is a Chubby Gator. Nothin' wrong with that, but I have a potential vagina-surgery to deal with in a year or two and you can't be overweight 'cause if you are there might be complications and other nastiness which would turn me into a freak of nature downstairs.

Well, that and I simply care about my health, SO, let's discuss how to lose weight, wether it's through exercising or diet or what.

The plastic surgeon recommended I do a low-carbohydrate diet. You know, the thing were you avoid sugar, bread, rice, pasta and all that shit and basically eat super fatty stuff and proteins like eggs and & bacon.

When I first heard this, I... got worried and wondered if the guy was some kind of quack. I've heard of these kind of diets before and how they essentially can be a form of starvation. Makes some sense to me, I know enough biology to know the body needs carbohydrates too, not just fat and proteins. And yet, 2-3 people have all told me it works and how brilliant it is, the only skeptic I came across was my therapist who also works with eating disorders. I'll also consult a dietitian next week and if she thinks low carbohydrate diets are good, well, maybe I will jump aboard that.

So what do y'all think? What kind of diets or life styles do you recommend to lose weight in a proper way? Discuss!

ALSO, no fat shaming please, that's just wrong.

Edited by Kellie Gator

I believe that's a name for what I described, yes. The one I heard would be like starving yourself. :|

From wat I heard from my former gym buddies. it's the easiest weight loss diet there is. it's basically you cutting on carbs like pasta and more on protein like bacon, lean steak. what happens is that you body will use your body fats to get your energy. I did this and it's good in keeping me toned.

From wat I heard from my former gym buddies. it's the easiest weight loss diet there is. it's basically you cutting on carbs like pasta and more on protein like bacon, lean steak. what happens is that you body will use your body fats to get your energy. I did this and it's good in keeping me toned.

Of course it easy but is it safe? That's what I worry about, and without carbohydrates I imagine I'll be even more of a zombie than I already am.

Of course it easy but is it safe? That's what I worry about, and without carbohydrates I imagine I'll be even more of a zombie than I already am.

If you don't have any kidney problems...  don't think it' dangerous. Bodybuilders swear on this kind of diet. 

This is better than extreme low calorie diet where it can hurt you. Though I read otherwise on men's health.

Edited by Mikazuki Marazhu

OK, so when I got to uni, my ass was a UK size 12, US 8. I know I have an hourglass shape anyway, but there's still a good amount of fat on there that I wanna get rid of. I feel incredibly unattractive and undesirable compared to all the other girls on my course. None of the guys hit on me, and none of them talk about me in their "who's hot" discussions.

So I'm generally just trying to keep my calorie intake under 1000 a day (BMR is ~1400). I walk to and from lectures every day which is a daily something I guess, and I try and get a swim in once a week. I've been at this for 3 weeks and I think I'm already down approximately 1/3 a dress size. That seems like nothing but... I'm so happy that I'm actually accomplishing something!

It would be nice to lose some boob as well. I'd LOVE to be able to fit into Primark bras, they are so nice. Actually, it would be great to not have to order my bras online any more. But from losing a lot of weight when I was 17, my boobs are already really saggy, I'm terrified that they'll just get worse this time.

OK, so when I got to uni, my ass was a UK size 12, US 8. I know I have an hourglass shape anyway, but there's still a good amount of fat on there that I wanna get rid of. I feel incredibly unattractive and undesirable compared to all the other girls on my course. None of the guys hit on me, and none of them talk about me in their "who's hot" discussions.

So I'm generally just trying to keep my calorie intake under 1000 a day (BMR is ~1400). I walk to and from lectures every day which is a daily something I guess, and I try and get a swim in once a week. I've been at this for 3 weeks and I think I'm already down approximately 1/3 a dress size. That seems like nothing but... I'm so happy that I'm actually accomplishing something!

It would be nice to lose some boob as well. I'd LOVE to be able to fit into Primark bras, they are so nice. Actually, it would be great to not have to order my bras online any more. But from losing a lot of weight when I was 17, my boobs are already really saggy, I'm terrified that they'll just get worse this time.

If you take less than 800 calorie... it's basically suicide.

High protein might put more strain on your kidneys. Drink more water? The meat and fat would replace carbs as your main energy source so you shouldn't feel like a zombie.

From personal experience, being a size 8 usually isn't the problem.
Just sayin.

A lot of guys thought I was hot as shit at a size 8.

• Like 1

I should cut out fizzy drinks and booze.

I don't even eat that much so if I cut that out I think I'd drop in weight without much real effort.

This is at lest 45% of my success. Overtime I've managed to reduce to one cola a day on weekdays (weekends still have problems, with up to 3). Combined with 2 miles of walking everyday at lunch, and incremental improvements in my diet, has seen a weight reduction of 50 lbs.

The first 10 lbs came off from just from a start of cutting out one can a day and taking a half mile walk. Now? I hiked the Rocky Mountains last year and next week I'll be hiking the Grand Canyon.

Remember: it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

20140523_123834.thumb.jpg.05211e3fdd9448

Edited by DrGravitas
Proof. Not sure why it's sideways

From personal experience, being a size 8 usually isn't the problem.
Just sayin.

A lot of guys thought I was hot as shit at a size 8.

If it makes me feel better about myself and gives me more confidence though =D

I'm just glad I finally have decent motivation to do it. I'm sick of having no control over my weight.

If it makes me feel better about myself and gives me more confidence though =D

I'm just glad I finally have decent motivation to do it. I'm sick of having no control over my weight.

Nothing wrong with using it as a starting motivation to do it for your own sake.

I'm just saying that it's not a good standard to stay on,
because it's like middleschool-tier validation shit.

Nothing wrong with using it as a starting motivation to do it for your own sake.
I'm just saying that it's not a good standard to stay on,
because it's like middleschool-tier validation shit.

Yeah, I thought I was past that shit but, I guess I must've thought that because I never really hung around guys who ignored me so much in a sexual sense in favour of others. I went to an all-girls' school and the majority of the guys I met outside here showed a lot of interest. I never really mixed with anyone at undergrad, so the few times I did meet guys, they were interested. Now I'm mixing with people and I'm surrounded by guys, and none of them want me. It's just been a difficult realisation that here I'm in the bottom 5% of the ladies >.<

Hmm, dunno really. I'm 17 so my metabolism is still quite fast because I'm still growing and stuff, which means I can lose weight pretty easily if I'm more active and just generally eat less calories of everything rather than focusing in on certain food types. Losing weight during the school terms is easier because then I'm walking about a lot to and from school (and around it between classes), and if I do more stuff like cycling/swimming/gym as well like I've been doing recently I can lose even more.

Putting on weight is still very easy though. For example, I weighed about 190 lbs in May 2014, but then thanks to exams and just me getting lazier I went up to 213 by the end of last July. I managed to get it down to 205 lbs by mid-September which is great, but it's fluctuated a little bit since then because of stuff like birthdays and mini-holidays off school and it's now at 206.6 lbs. I'm pretty confident I can get down to about 195 by Christmas though, and then about 180 by February next year, if I go back to properly watching what I eat again and begin losing weight at the same rate I did in August/September.

Hmm, dunno really. I'm 17 so my metabolism is still quite fast because I'm still growing and stuff, which means I can lose weight pretty easily if I'm more active and just generally eat less calories of everything rather than focusing in on certain food types. Losing weight during the school terms is easier because then I'm walking about a lot to and from school (and around it between classes), and if I do more stuff like cycling/swimming/gym as well like I've been doing recently I can lose even more.

Putting on weight is still very easy though. For example, I weighed about 190 lbs in May 2014, but then thanks to exams and just me getting lazier I went up to 213 by the end of last July. I managed to get it down to 205 lbs by mid-September which is great, but it's fluctuated a little bit since then because of stuff like birthdays and mini-holidays off school and it's now at 206.6 lbs. I'm pretty confident I can get down to about 195 by Christmas though, and then about 180 by February next year, if I go back to properly watching what I eat again and begin losing weight at the same rate I did in August/September.

You could be ectomorphic.

I was 200lbs in 2010, managed to get to about 157lbs by 2012, managed to balloon up to 236lbs by June of this year (The Words: Craft. Services.), and been losing weight ever since then, 217 now, averaging about 1.1lbs per week and should see 160lbs again in a little under a year.  Not doing anything special and never have, just calorie counting.

High protein might put more strain on your kidneys. Drink more water? The meat and fat would replace carbs as your main energy source so you shouldn't feel like a zombie.

High proteins can do that to your kidneys? I didn't know. My kidneys ar fine but I actually kind of eat a fuckton of protein in breakfast, lunch dinner and occasional snacks because I know it at the very least will keep me from being hungry too quickly and maybe help repair damaged muscles if I've had a rough day or done some workouts. I hope I'm not killing myself because of it. D:

This is at lest 45% of my success. Overtime I've managed to reduce to one cola a day on weekdays (weekends still have problems, with up to 3). Combined with 2 miles of walking everyday at lunch, and incremental improvements in my diet, has seen a weight reduction of 50 lbs.

That's... still too much. Granted, you've made an improvement but that sounds nuts to me nonetheless. I only have one (admittedly big) bottle every weekend and I'm prepared to stop that if my dietitian thinks I should. But I'm not so fond of super-sugary stuff... and physically unable to consume too much. Most sodas make me feel sick and my teeth get cavities easily. CURSE MY FUCKING GENES.

On a low carb diet you want most of your calories to be from fats.

Butter, nuts, coconut/olive oil, etc.

Too much protein will overtax your kidneys and will end up getting converted into sugar in your body through gluconeogenesis anyway which will inhibit the ketogenic process.

You also want to make sure to eat enough fibrous vegetables and drink plenty of water because constipation is common on this type of diet. High cholesterol too, so make sure that's getting checked.

• Like 1

High proteins can do that to your kidneys? I didn't know. My kidneys ar fine but I actually kind of eat a fuckton of protein in breakfast, lunch dinner and occasional snacks because I know it at the very least will keep me from being hungry too quickly and maybe help repair damaged muscles if I've had a rough day or done some workouts. I hope I'm not killing myself because of it. D:

Don't worry too much about it.

Edit: See what Zaraphayx says.

Edited by Mayonnaise

That's... still too much. Granted, you've made an improvement but that sounds nuts to me nonetheless. I only have one (admittedly big) bottle every weekend and I'm prepared to stop that if my dietitian thinks I should. But I'm not so fond of super-sugary stuff... and physically unable to consume too much. Most sodas make me feel sick and my teeth get cavities easily. CURSE MY FUCKING GENES.

Agreed. It was more of an illustration of what even small changes can do. I plan to continue making incremental adjustments until I eliminate them entirely.

Although, I never had a cavity :D

are you fat?

try heroin!

youll lose weigh so fast youll be unrecognizeable within 3 months

Sounds awesome but if I have to go to the bathroom all the time then forget it. >:[

Drinking mostly water is one of the best things you could do for weight loss!

I still find it unreal that some people drink stuff like soda, every day :u

I already do that, though... well, I drink coffee when I don't drink water but it's mostly water.

Sounds awesome but if I have to go to the bathroom all the time then forget it. >:[

I already do that, though... well, I drink coffee when I don't drink water but it's mostly water.

see there is good news

heroin makes you not eat AND not go to the bathroom

literally for days

and think of all the new friends youll be making :v

So I'm having a lot of thoughts and questions about weight loss.

Like, this'll sound silly but I'm wondering if my breasts will shrink significantly if I work out more. 'cause I wouldn't want that at all. >w<

Also, about the Atkins diet, I wish I could find clips from the Penn & Teller: Bullshit! episode about it but it seems that it's just not on YouTube. Damn copyright bullshit. But the episode is where I heard that the Atkins diet is like starving yourself. Wouldn't want that.

I'll see my dietitian tomorrow morning so hopefully she can help. :3 

see there is good news

heroin makes you not eat AND not go to the bathroom

literally for days

and think of all the new friends youll be making :v

Aw man, now I really wanna learn how your metabolism changes with heroin. The biologist in me is so excited!

Like, this'll sound silly but I'm wondering if my breasts will shrink significantly if I work out more. 'cause I wouldn't want that at all. >w<

Also, about the Atkins diet, I wish I could find clips from the Penn & Teller: Bullshit! episode about it but it seems that it's just not on YouTube. Damn copyright bullshit. But the episode is where I heard that the Atkins diet is like starving yourself. Wouldn't want that.

I'll see my dietitian tomorrow morning so hopefully she can help. :3 

Aw man, now I really wanna learn how your metabolism changes with heroin. The biologist in me is so excited!

Say no to drugs!

It depends on your genetics, wherever you accumulate the most fat is where you're going to lose it last and hardest. There is no such thing as spot reduction unless you get liposuction or something.

• Like 2

It is pretty much calories in vs calories out, and the quality of the food you eat every day.

Anybody here that's seen me during my cooking broadcasts knows - I'm one cut motherfucker.

This is a gross oversimplification of human metabolic processes though.

If you eat 3000 calories of cake a day and I eat 3000 calories of spinach one of us is going to be fatter than the other, and it won't be me.

• Like 1

I'm feeling very happy with my progress so far! My waist is curving in more (on only one side, for some reason... the other side has what feels like a muscular mass blocking it, so I must be doing something in my life quite asymmetrically to create an imbalance in muscle) and my ribs are starting to show if I view myself in profile. Not massive amounts of visible progress on the ass though, but that is probably just because I can't see it. Hip bones still aren't coming through though (they used to be quite prominent on me) so I still have a ways to go. Not a single gram seems to have come off my tits though >.<

I'm gonna have a treat day today, I feel like I deserve it. No rush to my target size what with all the progress I've already made.

I'm feeling very happy with my progress so far! My waist is curving in more (on only one side, for some reason... the other side has what feels like a muscular mass blocking it, so I must be doing something in my life quite asymmetrically to create an imbalance in muscle) and my ribs are starting to show if I view myself in profile. Not massive amounts of visible progress on the ass though, but that is probably just because I can't see it. Hip bones still aren't coming through though (they used to be quite prominent on me) so I still have a ways to go. Not a single gram seems to have come off my tits though >.<

I'm gonna have a treat day today, I feel like I deserve it. No rush to my target size what with all the progress I've already made.

This might just be my opinion but I think it's kinda creepy when you can see someone's ribs or other bones. D:

I dunno how much progress will be made on those other parts, since genes can play a big part.

Also, I've recently tried cutting down on sugar and snacks. Fairly minor stuff, I hope it works. I don't wanna make too many drastic changes in my life style but I really need to lose weight to have surgery, ugh...

The best thing I ever did for weight loss was to start eating more vegetables. Pile them on, stuff your face with them. Very good nutritionally and low in calories. You'll be so full you won't have the stomach for junk food or anything like that.

I think it worked for me because it was an addition to my diet, at the beginning I didn't cut out anything. Eventually I was buying and eating very little junk food, and it became easy to cut that stuff out completely. Small steps.

The best thing I ever did for weight loss was to start eating more vegetables. Pile them on, stuff your face with them. Very good nutritionally and low in calories. You'll be so full you won't have the stomach for junk food or anything like that.

I think it worked for me because it was an addition to my diet, at the beginning I didn't cut out anything. Eventually I was buying and eating very little junk food, and it became easy to cut that stuff out completely. Small steps.

I find that after a while, junk food starts to taste like cardboard. And I just have less desire for it because all I get is disappointment.

• Like 1

I find that after a while, junk food starts to taste like cardboard. And I just have less desire for it because all I get is disappointment.

I found that too, it was almost like my taste buds 'reset' or something. Currently going through something similar with coffee.

Edited by Sourdough