Vanilla WoW

Toshabi

You know, I dropped that game about uhhhh.... 4ish years ago. Yeah, 4 years ago. I kinda played through cataclysm, but I was sort of dragging my feet the entire time because they blew up the world I once obsessively loved. I've wasted a good chunk on my life on that game, and it all started with the vanilla flavoring. There was just something so obsessively appealing about the way the game was designed. Sure, like all MMO's, it was a lot of grinding, daily routines and somewhat chore like questing, but it was fun. It was something my young teenage mind could take, and digest and enjoy. But I want to say a good chunk of that was thanks to the pretty vast areas there were to explore, things to do, little quirks and trinkets to collect and what not that made it so good. That and taking a royal shit on the people leveling up in the areas you leveled up in by killing them over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I want to say the game really decayed on me with the end of the Lich King era. The thrill started going away as the blah blah trailer for cataclysm came out. The world I once loved was in shambles, and so were the new areas to explore. It was just a snooze feast for me. I didn't bother playing the panda expansion, even though I loved the art and idea of having pandas walking around. I think they made another expansion, but let's face it, the game is dead to me.

Then, my brother calls me up late last night. "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, TOSHABITCH! CHECK THIS SHIT OUT". He sends me over a link to a private server for vanilla wow- WAIT VANILLA WOW!?

BAM! YEAH THAT'S RIGHT! This is some LEGIT SHIT that im pretty sure is sending my data off to someone in china named Quinn Lu, BUT FUCK YEAH IT'S CLASSIC VANILLA WOW IN ALL IT'S TEDIOUS BRUTALITY! And it's me and my old group of friends and brothers rummaging around through our old digital nerdy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuUCK stomping grounds playing the game we loved so much again before she got the fake boobs and bad attitude. Actually she still had the bad attitude, but it was endearing. And it cost about 15/mo but yeah that's life. BUT NOW SHE'S FREE! FREE BLOWIES FOR ALL! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

So fuck yeah, vanilla WoW. I lvoe it. I'd date it. I Don't care what you say cause this is the fucking bee's knees for me. This might end up with me failing every class ever after this as well as in my current relationship because fuck yeah ZG and AQ40 And Onyxia and molten core and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

MzmZtBm.gif

I got in during Burning Crusade, and god damn there are so many good memories. Drunk raiding Kara, getting a giant mess of people and going into battlegrounds, twinking the shit out of a level 39 warlock, first mount, etc etc etc.

It was one of the few games I've played where the world really felt like a world.

By the end of Wrath though, all I was doing was farming non combat pets and rare mounts. I put the game away with Barron Rinvedare's Deathcharger, Anzu's bird thing, the ZG tiger, ZG raptor, and the Beerfest Ram.

I think WoW began losing its magic after WotlK for a whole lot of people. Seems to be the trend I've noticed. Personally - my favourite times were in BC. BC, and early/middle of WotlK(Ulduar patch, basically). ToC patch sucked(but still a lot better than content patches now, tbh), and Icecrown was just okay. The raid was great, but all the other content in the final wotlk patch was meh.

If you want a vanilla WoW server, Nostalrius is -super- good. Has a crap load of players, too. It's interesting 'cause I only got a character to level 30 a while ago on Nostalrius, but I can still remember more things, and enjoyed myself more than characters I've leveled on live from 1-100 >.>

I think WoW began losing its magic after WotlK for a whole lot of people. Seems to be the trend I've noticed. Personally - my favourite times were in BC. BC, and early/middle of WotlK(Ulduar patch, basically). ToC patch sucked(but still a lot better than content patches now, tbh), and Icecrown was just okay. The raid was great, but all the other content in the final wotlk patch was meh.

If you want a vanilla WoW server, Nostalrius is -super- good. Has a crap load of players, too. It's interesting 'cause I only got a character to level 30 a while ago on Nostalrius, but I can still remember more things, and enjoyed myself more than characters I've leveled on live from 1-100 >.>

IM ON THERE RIGHT NOW YOU SHOULD PLAY WITH TOSHABI!

Oh no, the amount of pain this subject brings me. For real. I started playing in 2005.

My first character was a shitty human paladin. I got to level 14 before I met my first non-human player. It was a Nelf Druid...I was so enchanted with the class that I immediately made one too and never touched the pally ever again.

And I suffered playing that character for so long. I wanted to play Feral Druid so bad, and it was so terrible for so long. Even got as far as MC/ZG raids and PvP rank 7. I loved that character so much. Eventually I picked it up again in TBC and fell in love a second time.

Then one day [Still in Vanilla timeline here, pre-AQ times] I decided to reroll Horde and the true magic began. Undead Mage my 15 year old self so cleverly named "Bawles". So much fun, so many memories. I went on to raid all the way to AQ with him, and got to Champion PvP rank [No pre-made teams to carry me]. What it meant to be a known server menace to Alliance players. To have your very own Grand Marshal hatebot that had a target macro just for you. The ragewhispers from Cannibalizing people you killed. Rags, Nefarian, Hakkar, and so on. Getting to Exalted reps. Just...actually caring about what I did in game. It's so hard to care in MMOs I play now and I don't know why. I still have my [Severed Night Elf Head] item from when killing people in AV harvested body parts.

I'd be here for the next three hours typing if I tried to tell even half of the little stories and things that were so dear to me.  It meant so much to me. It genuinely hurts that it's gone so much.

Most people link things like Teldrassil or Stormwind or Ironforge or something, and those hit hard too.

But the day I set out to join the Horde and server PvP with feeling. And I was damn good at it. Eventually I met my old Alliance PvP group. They were dicks. I used Cannibalize, and it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyQiK8cGCHw

Edited by Clove Darkwave
  • Like 1

Oh no, the amount of pain this subject brings me. For real. I started playing in 2005.

My first character was a shitty human paladin. I got to level 14 before I met my first non-human player. It was a Nelf Druid...I was so enchanted with the class that I immediately made one too and never touched the pally ever again.

And I suffered playing that character for so long. I wanted to play Feral Druid so bad, and it was so terrible for so long. Even got as far as MC/ZG raids and PvP rank 7. I loved that character so much. Eventually I picked it up again in TBC and fell in love a second time.

Then one day [Still in Vanilla timeline here, pre-AQ times] I decided to reroll Horde and the true magic began. Undead Mage my 15 year old self so cleverly named "Bawles". So much fun, so many memories. I went on to raid all the way to AQ with him, and got to Champion PvP rank [No pre-made teams to carry me]. What it meant to be a known server menace to Alliance players. To have your very own Grand Marshal hatebot that had a target macro just for you. The ragewhispers from Cannibalizing people you killed. Rags, Nefarian, Hakkar, and so on. Getting to Exalted reps. Just...actually caring about what I did in game. It's so hard to care in MMOs I play now and I don't know why. I still have my [Severed Night Elf Head] item from when killing people in AV harvested body parts.

I'd be here for the next three hours typing if I tried to tell even half of the little stories and things that were so dear to me.  It meant so much to me. It genuinely hurts that it's gone so much.

Most people link things like Teldrassil or Stormwind or Ironforge or something, and those hit hard too.

But the day I set out to join the Horde and server PvP with feeling. And I was damn good at it. Eventually I met my old Alliance PvP group. They were dicks. I used Cannibalize, and it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyQiK8cGCHw

This and also the realm forums being a trolling thunderdome for guild drama and faction rivalry.

• Like 3

Your steam is too private Y.Y

So I guess you'll need send a friend request to see my privacy :v

Never gave WoW a try because it costs dollaz a month. Screw that.

Also private servers are boring, how fun could it be playing in a largely deserted server? Who are you gonna show your gaming "accomplishments" to? 

They're definitely not deserted. Weird thing to assume.

Heck, on a lot of them you'll see far, far, far more players out in the world than you would on live WoW. But I guess the reason the world in WoW is dead, isn't because of population problems...

Oh - and believe it or not, but once upon a time people played games because they enjoyed them. Not for achievements! Crazy, right?

Edited by Hewge

So I guess you'll need send a friend request to see my privacy :v

They're definitely not deserted. Weird thing to assume.

Heck, on a lot of them you'll see far, far, far more players out in the world than you would on live WoW. But I guess the reason the world in WoW is dead, isn't because of population problems...

Oh - and believe it or not, but once upon a time people played games because they enjoyed them. Not for achievements! Crazy, right?

That's usually the case with every private server I've stumbled upon,they all had a population of what, 100 players? It feels empty.  But of course I've never played something fancy like the  WoW.

I can't enjoy an mmorpg if I feel like I'm in a single player game. Kinda takes the point away.

Confirmed Hordies ~ My priest was a troll!

Ima reinstall Nostalrius right now, and then I'll post my character's name here! I forgot it's not installed because I got a new computer recently :v

Edit: My dude is named "Jockstraps", on Nostralrius Begins PvP

Edited by Hewge

Confirmed Hordies ~ My priest was a troll!

Ima reinstall Nostalrius right now, and then I'll post my character's name here! I forgot it's not installed because I got a new computer recently :v

Edit: My dude is named "Jockstraps", on Nostralrius Begins PvP

Im in barrens chat right now. God fucking help me.

I would want to, but I can't. It'd feel too much like rolling around in a corpse, especially knowing that updates and new content will never come.

And knowing that one day it'll go the same route as SCTHACK PSO

Pretty accurately sums up my thoughts on this. I miss the memories I had playing vanilla in high school because they were some of the only good memories I had.

There's also nothing to look forward to since I know the game world inside and out, there's nothing to explore, no sense of adventure, just get to level cap and then do what? The same raids I did before without any of the learning and funny stories?

I also have a lot more important shit going on in my life than video games right now and I don't have the need to escape anymore.

• Like 1

I would want to, but I can't. It'd feel too much like rolling around in a corpse, especially knowing that updates and new content will never come.

And knowing that one day it'll go the same route as SCTHACK PSO

According to the website, they're going to be rolling out updates similar in fashion to how they were done in Vanilla. 

https://en.nostalrius.org/timeline

True, technically we already "know what's coming up", but at least it sparks and curves interest. But how I look at it, it's sort of reliving the glory days for free. Once you're done, you're done. But at least it was a revisit to some good old times, before WoW went down the seemingly inevitable loss in quality with the future expansions (though, BC is still my favorite chapter). Who knows? Maybe in a year, the servers will get patched with BC. I'll cross my fingers and hope. 

But most importantly, what I enjoy the most is having my brothers and I come around again for another hurrah together. We hardly get to play anything much together since everyone has their different gaming interests/ live in different areas. It's nice to have everyone come together under the same game banner again for a change. So ironically enough, this is family bonding time for me!