Rant: My Own Obsessivness

Sidewalk Surfboard

I'll straight up admit that I'm obsessive. There's no hiding it. I obsess over things quite easily and have done so for years and years, over many things. As most of you are probably well aware, my obsession now is animatronics. Specifically, Showbiz Pizza ones. I sometimes hate myself for being so obsessive. I constantly worry about annoying people with my little rants and ramblings about, say, Beach Bear's mask color or that shitty Rolfe and Earle showtape or something to that degree. I try to get myself to stop but I can't. I can't stop talking about it, it makes me happy! I wanna share the happy with other people. But, at the same time, I feel useless and annoying when I talk about these guys with normal people because I can sense when they're getting annoyed and I get scared. This picture pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now.

6274638464_bc625331c8.jpg

I feel you there, OP

I have obsessions that nobody else gets, so I cant or wont talk of them. It is rather unfortunate...so instead I try to vary my interests and see if I find something other people like, or if by chance I find someone who also likes the things I like.

sometimes you just have to filter your conversation pieces and think to yourself how much you have exhausted the topic youre on on this particular person, I guess.

That's not even a thing that is restricted to obsession really. If you talk to people about stuff they don't give a shit about they will get tired of hearing it pretty quickly, so you would generally try to save each subject for people it's relevant to.

Also the only feeling that picture conveys to me is confusion about why a worn out vaguely bear-looking thing and what may be some sort of large pipe are trapped behind a cage of foam and elastic netting.

Oh yeah. I have my obsessions, too, and it's challenging and frustrating to have to monitor how much I share them with others, and carefully observe whether people are getting bored with me talking.

The trickiest thing is when someone begins to demonstrate interest (whether polite or genuine) in one of my obsessions, and then my desire to go whole hog and lecture about the topic for hours begins to buck and kick at my heart like a wild stallion in a stable. I have a tendency to overdo it when someone's shown interest in something I care about.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. I have my obsessions, too, and it's challenging and frustrating to have to monitor how much I share them with others, and carefully observe whether people are getting bored with me talking.

The trickiest thing is when someone begins to demonstrate interest (whether polite or genuine) in one of my obsessions, and then my desire to go whole hog and lecture about the topic for hours begins to buck and kick at my heart like a wild stallion in a stable. I have a tendency to overdo it when someone's shown interest in something I care about.

Oh god, I know that feel. Someone I know once asked me about the Showbiz animatronics themselves and how they worked and I'm pretty sure I could have filled a book with how much shit I told them.

This is at least part of why I sequester most of my interest in the koopalings to appropriate places.
My blogs (where people expect that shit and even follow me specifically for that purpose), my art (which is purely self-indulgent), and relevant conversations.

Also could help that I have a fuckload of interests, and am not used to talking about my nerd bullshit IRL (since no one I know IRL would know what the fuck I'm talking about anyway), so I'm used to it.

For the obsessive in all of us, specialty forums can be a good place to ride out the obsession. It may mellow out over time, or it may just burn out. Both things have happened to me on the topics I'm obsessive over.

It must be somewhat nice to be able to be that passionate about something though. I can't remember the last time I was vaguely enthusiastic about anything.

• Like 1

I was obsessed with them when I was 7. Simon was my favorite. He was my first furry husbando.

Alvin and Elanor were my favorites personally, without thinking it, my Mouse Fursona is named Nelwin.
A subconscious take on Alvin I think, he wears a baseball cap and shirt as well, I had no clue to the similarities till years later checking things.

I've had many obsessions before so I know what it's like. I'd drive friends fucking crazy when I was a kid at school 'cause I always talked about VIDEOGAMES VIDEOGAMES VIDEOGAMES. Unfortunately I got bullied because of it which has now led me to being worried that no one's gonna wanna listen to anything I'm obsessed over, that I'll just bore them or annoy them or something.

I just... wish I had a solution. Just try to be confident and don't end up like me, I guess. :S

Oh god, I know that feel. Someone I know once asked me about the Showbiz animatronics themselves and how they worked and I'm pretty sure I could have filled a book with how much shit I told them.

Reminds me of when I'll sometimes sperg about the finer points of animation or puppetry. I can tell you all kinds of fun facts about how Disney and Pixar movies get made, refer you to obscure animated films and shows you haven't heard of, and share behind-the-scenes info on the Jim Henson Company, and how they create their puppets and do special effects.

Geeks typically eat it up, but I'll sometimes catch myself starting to geek out to a non-geek who probably doesn't give an actual shit.

Awkward and embarrassing: when I make a throw-away allusion to something, and I have to back up and explain it, and I realize that explaining it requires me to subject a non-geek to a geeky topic they probably don't really care about for longer than 10 seconds.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

Reminds me of when I'll sometimes sperg about the finer points of animation or puppetry. I can tell you all kinds of fun facts about how Disney and Pixar movies get made, refer you to obscure animated films and shows you haven't heard of, and share behind-the-scenes info on the Jim Henson Company, and how they create their puppets and do special effects.

Geeks typically eat it up, but I'll sometimes catch myself starting to geek out to a non-geek who probably doesn't give an actual shit.

Awkward and embarrassing: when I make a throw-away allusion to something, and I have to back up and explain it, and I realize that explaining it requires me to subject a non-geek to a geeky topic they probably don't really care about for longer than 10 seconds.

I have the same problem but with Super Smash Bros. Melee. I play it competitively and it's a ridiculously technical, intricate game. It's simple on the surface cuz every move is just one input and one direction, but there's so many hidden mechanics and nuances that playing it competitively is almost like speed running super mario 64, if you've ever seen anybody do that crazy shit before.

Aaaaanyways, as you can probably tell, I could drawl on about that shit all day. Hell, I could probably teach a whole class on it if I really wanted to. Luckily I have other people who are similarly tweaked out about this game to vent that energy to most of the time, but every once in a while I still find myself talking a random friend or acquaintance's ear off about it, and I'm always really paranoid that I'm driving them up the wall with my minute and encyclopedic knowledge of a fucking 15 year old gamecube game x3 

I've had many obsessions before so I know what it's like. I'd drive friends fucking crazy when I was a kid at school 'cause I always talked about VIDEOGAMES VIDEOGAMES VIDEOGAMES. Unfortunately I got bullied because of it which has now led me to being worried that no one's gonna wanna listen to anything I'm obsessed over, that I'll just bore them or annoy them or something.

I just... wish I had a solution. Just try to be confident and don't end up like me, I guess. :S

Oh man, I feel ya with the fear of being annoying or boring. When I catch myself rambling about Rolfe or some shit I just kinda wanna hide in a hole and die.

can't say i've ever really had that problem, but i know the fear of being boring or annoying; a lot of people don't share my interests, and there's not much going on in my life these days except stress and worry.  so i feel like i don't have anything good to say, and just in general i tend to ramble.  :S  i also have to try to stop myself from speaking in metaphors or getting too "poetic".  i think the writer in me is getting restless from lack of use. 

i second finding a message board/community that caters specifically to your interests, though.

• Like 1

can't say i've ever really had that problem, but i know the fear of being boring or annoying; a lot of people don't share my interests, and there's not much going on in my life these days except stress and worry.  so i feel like i don't have anything good to say, and just in general i tend to ramble.  :S  i also have to try to stop myself from speaking in metaphors or getting too "poetic".  i think the writer in me is getting restless from lack of use. 

i second finding a message board/community that caters specifically to your interests, though.

I am on a forum specifically for my interest. The problem is that the people on there are unbearably immature. I don't feel comfortable discussing animatronics around them.

I am on a forum specifically for my interest. The problem is that the people on there are unbearably immature. I don't feel comfortable discussing animatronics around them.

that's kinda sad.  i'd say find another one, but that's the trouble with interests that ain't very popular... good luck finding a good board.  i know i've seen a few other fans around FA, at least.  no idea what lurks beyond.

On a similar note, I worry about making people feel stupid or inadequate with my sperging, since I've had a long history of people wigging out on me because they thought I was a smarty-pants jerk or made them feel insecure. So, unless I'm with fellow geeks or intellectuals, when I find myself venturing into a topic the other person doesn't know about, part of me is just plain afraid of getting passive-aggressive blowback for being a big brainy jerk who thinks they're smarter'n ev'rybody else.

It's especially frustrating when your obsessions are things like astronomy and biotech.

Why are you bored?

Aren't you listening, this is important!

DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY? I'M TELLING YOU HOW WE CAN GROW LUNGS!

You just have to accept that some people don't care about the universe around them, and that's depressing.

• Like 3

I like to listen more than I like to share but there are a few subjects that I can get carried away with.

Mostly I just pretend to have nothing to say the vast majority of the time because it makes my life easier.

Besides, you'd be amazed at how far in life being a good listener will get you. Learn to give intelligent/snarky/thoughtful/insightful/etc. remarks at just the right moment in a conversation and you go even further. Learn how to ask good questions to carry a conversation to enter Final Boss Mode.

• Like 1

Like I've said before, I never obsess about anything anymore, it all melted into the ether years ago. But obsessing over something to someone who is also obsessed, you build a real connection there, feel like you're having a real conversation for once. Don't ever be ashamed about obsessing over stuff, passion is probably the most positive of human emotions, why stifle it?

• Like 2

Besides, you'd be amazed at how far in life being a good listener will get you. Learn to give intelligent/snarky/thoughtful/insightful/etc. remarks at just the right moment in a conversation and you go even further. Learn how to ask good questions to carry a conversation to enter Final Boss Mode.

I noticed this. Despite my hearing condition, ironically I've become a pretty good listener. It's surprising how you can get people to like you without even saying much of anything.

Hell, I regularly listen to people talk about their zumba class, their meditation practice, their avoidance of gluten, killing wild animals for fun, watching sports, all the finer points of Magic: The Goddamn Gathering, and the hotness of One Direction, so it's not like I'm not holding up my end of the social bargain here.

Edited by Troj

Yes. It is plenty normal I would say, as someone who obsesses over stuff like this:

Rigging.thumb.png.df2482f736be6d7375d64a

There is a nugget of practicality in everything, animatronics is underlain by the same principles that back my 3D rigging, or the engineering of other complex machines, physical or not. Does it matter what color a car is or if the classic roadster has its original fender? No, not really except to other car (or at least money) obsessed people. These are all obsessions on practical things. It's perfectly normal.

Just because your obsession is over something mildly stigmatized in some circles does not make it bad or wrong. How many film aficionados will tell you that puppets, animatronics, and other practical effects are superior to CGI?

You lack good listeners only because your topic is a smaller niche than most. Gearheads seem normal because the ubiquity of cars ensures a healthy number of like-minded individuals. 3D is less niche than yours but in the wrong circles, it is plenty isolated. Among furry artists, 3D is fairly rare (not as much as it used to be) which makes for few willing to share the interest with. At work? Forget about it! Nobody wants to here me babble on about topology, shape, and rigging. Before that took precedence in my life, I would bring up earlier game obsessions like Dwarf Fortress or Europa Universalis IV for work conversation; people would actively groan and ask to leave (rude, considering they came to my cube.) It taught me a lesson I carried forward to this new obsession; I don't even bother bring up 3D unless explicitly asked and I still try avoid specifics. But when it comes to their obsessions? Other games I have no interest in, or sports? I feel the same disinterest and desire to leave the conversation. Because of this, I have nothing to talk with coworkers about anymore beyond the most mundane topics.

So no, it's perfectly normal. Just as all these other topics, yours has the same potential to for practical uses as well as personal enjoyment.

Edited by DrGravitas
Spacing for emphasis; Image resizing
  • Like 1

I'll straight up admit that I'm obsessive. There's no hiding it. I obsess over things quite easily and have done so for years and years, over many things. As most of you are probably well aware, my obsession now is animatronics. Specifically, Showbiz Pizza ones. I sometimes hate myself for being so obsessive. I constantly worry about annoying people with my little rants and ramblings about, say, Beach Bear's mask color or that shitty Rolfe and Earle showtape or something to that degree. I try to get myself to stop but I can't. I can't stop talking about it, it makes me happy! I wanna share the happy with other people. But, at the same time, I feel useless and annoying when I talk about these guys with normal people because I can sense when they're getting annoyed and I get scared. This picture pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now.

...I know how you feel...

• Like 1

Like I've said before, I never obsess about anything anymore, it all melted into the ether years ago. But obsessing over something to someone who is also obsessed, you build a real connection there, feel like you're having a real conversation for once. Don't ever be ashamed about obsessing over stuff, passion is probably the most positive of human emotions, why stifle it?

I agree, Im going to have to sig that last sentence when I return to desktop mode

Youre too fuckin hard on yourself, man

The people who found my hobbies weird didn't last long as my friends, I cut them off. I won't tolerate negativity in my life and neither should you

Don't let other people ruin your hobby simply because they dislike it or find it weird. Fuck them

• Like 3