Learning new gaming genres

Kellie Gator

So as a kid I played a few real-time strategy games... but not regularly and it wasn't a lasting habit. I was more into shooters, platformers, stealth games and some point-and-click adventure titles. I even kinda grew to despise the RTS genre for some reason I can't quite understand. It just didn't feel immersive to me.

But, well, recently I was curious in giving the genre a second chance since I suddenly got nostalgic about those Command & Conquer games I played demos of way back when the magazine PC Gamer (which is going to be cancelled in Sweden apparently) would come with these little demo CDs. Those were the good ol' days. <3

I'm usually kind of a hardcore and masochistic gamer but with RTSes I just... suck. I LITERALLY have to learn everything from the goddamn beginning because I haven't played a real, pure RTS in like, 15-20 years.

I watch videos of playthroughs on YouTube for comparison's sake and they're just so SO GODDAMN GOOD AND FAST when I usually can't focus on that many things on the screen at the same time (or maybe I can 'cause I can do Contra fairly okay). They seem to get these great ideas right away and shit, and I have to just sit and think about what I'm gonna do, and then try a great idea I have but the idea doesn't work, so I have to SAVE SCUM TO THE EXTREME and backtrack if I make a mistake. I dunno if I'll ever be able to play RTSes online with anybody, I'd just get fuckin' massacred.

For the first time in a long time I feel like a fucking n00b and it suuuuucks. ;w;

Edited by Kellie Gator

Games I can't play:

- Sports games

- Fightan games

- Shmups

- Starcraft-style strategy games

- MTG and Hearthstone

- Mobas as well I suppose but I never gave a shit about them anyway and tried Dota 2 out of curiosity

I'd enjoy RTS games more but I used to play them like they were Sim City and turtle until I can do one retardedly large offensive that guarantees a win, I liked doing this in the Star Wars clone of Age of Empires 2 in particular.

Playing online with them is un-fun for me because they're hard to get into when you don't already play them. Hard like getting into a multiplayer FPS when you don't really play videogames in general. I look at plays of RTS games and I'm thinking to myself - where the fuck is the strategy exactly? Total War, Blitzkrieg, and Men of War I totally got and enjoy despite not being great at them, but those "traditional" RTS games? Sorry, all I can see is some kind of rock-paper-scissors spamming match.

I think playing games since an early age and growing up without an internet connection on your own PC until you're 15 makes you enjoy PVE and co-op way too much. I've had people ask me if I was hacking in Killing Floor, but I can't play Counter-Strike for shit.

If you have AI War we could figure out how to play it I guess, it's a co-op RTS.

Edited by Sir Gibby
  • Like 1

I always found RTS games to be some sort of weird anomaly because it seemed like if you were playing them well you would get the least immersive experience possible and miss out on most of the tech tree. I like playing them against AI where I can mess around and draw the game out for longer, not having to micro-manage as much or try to end the game as soon as possible, because really what I want isn't a new GUI for chess it's to make tiny dramatic battles happen and watch from above.

• Like 1

- Fightan games

- Starcraft-style strategy games

The problem with fighting games is how they sometimes have radically different control schemes and systems. I'm good at Mortal Kombat but I fucking suck at Street Fighter even though I like that series. Haven't played any Tekken since Tekken 5, too...

I also know too little about RTSes so I dunno what makes Starcraft different from other RTS games?

Like I said, total noob.

I suggest XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within (I have heard good things about the older ones too).

It's heavy strategy with in depth customization... But it's turn based. It lets you breathe, and it's immersive, it fun~

I hate turn-based gameplay but I might give X-Com a chance someday. Just... I feel like if I'm gonna play turn-based combat I'll just play a game of fucking chess, dammit.

I suggest XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within (I have heard good things about the older ones too).

It's heavy strategy with in depth customization... But it's turn based. It lets you breathe, and it's immersive, it fun~

XCOM is the shit

There's also Xenonauts which is more like the old ones

Edited by Sir Gibby

I blame StarCraft for initially putting me off RTS multiplayer (outside of LAN anyway). Its design put so much emphasis on the first few minutes of the match and deciding fascinating things like 'how many SCVs do I build and should I send one to scout' that players would advertise no rushing for things like 15 or 30 minutes when hosting a game. And if you did that and got to see some of its later units the strategy was basically 'spam battlecruisers', 'spam carriers', 'spam hydralisks/mutalisks'. The only matches I actually enjoyed were when I first went into multiplayer and would just go into noob games because I was a child and didn't want to get in anyone's way. When it was just a bunch of people who hadn't memorized any of these hyper-efficient strategies yet we could actually get inventive with the whole tech tree and never know what to expect from anyone.

• Like 1

Large scale RTS games like star craft involve alot of fast paced micro managing, if you want more macromanaging I highly recommend Ruse.

If I recall correctly Ruse is fairly realistic, though. I want more shit like lasers and cyborgs and whatever like C&C or... I dunno if I'd like Starcraft, only played the first one briefly 20 years ago.

On another note, the original XCOM was insanely difficult, even on what they called easy

I've been playing Enemy Unknown, but it keeps locking up on my in the damn temple mission. Still a solid game though, and when played on higher difficulty it can get touch and go at times

Starcraft is the jazz! Got one of the best story lines of any game ever made, too. (nobias)

The thing with RTS games, and especially Starcraft, is they take massive amounts of invested time just to simply understand and get the hang of. Which is why the genre is becoming less and less popular, I guess. But at the same time, doing something well in Starcraft is one of the most rewarding feels in a game that you'll ever experience.

The only games I can think of that I "can't" play would be:

- Sports games; Not because they're hard, but more because they make me... Z z z

- Point and click adventures; They can be cool(I like Broken Age), but again... Z z z

-Fighting games; they're always terribly formatted for keyboard/mouse :v

It's fun to dip into game genres you don't usually play, I think it goes a good way at tempering some of the hubris you get from playing the same genres for 20 years. Like it was in fact very refreshing to play Civ 5 because it was so different than what I am used to.

I've definitely played every game genre, and to this day the only ones I consistently dislike are Fighting games and Racing games. Although even those have their exceptions (Soul Calibur, technically Smash Bros, F-Zero).

You know to be honest I felt like Super Metroid was "alright pretty good". Put into the context of when it released it was godlike to be sure, but I don't think it's "the best Metroid and all others are shit" like so many others seem to.

Ok, I agree with people that Super Metroid is the best, but how does that make the others shit? What bizarro logic is that?

You know to be honest I felt like Super Metroid was "alright pretty good". Put into the context of when it released it was godlike to be sure, but I don't think it's "the best Metroid and all others are shit" like so many others seem to.

Super Metroid is and has been the best Metroid to me, ever since I first played it.

But people think the others are shit? (Other M doesn't count.)
Who?

It's usually those people who have some strange hardcore hatred for Fusion or Prime. I think everyone agrees that other Metroid game doesn't actually exist.

I dunno, my first Metroid was Return of Samus but if you ask me Prime 1 and Fusion ties for the best out of them all. I think in the end it all boils down to what games left the biggest impact on you personally. Any series that has enough good games to make people argue over the best one has something going for it.

• Like 1

Starcraft is the jazz! Got one of the best story lines of any game ever made, too. (nobias)

Legacy of Kain would like to have a word with you. :V

...I think. I only played the first Starcraft abut 20 years ago. My sis is a big fan of SC, though, which admittedly is why I haven't wanted to play it. :S

I'm not sure what my favorite Metroid is, I think all Metroids except Metroid Prime Hunters and Other M are pretty amazing... well, there was pinball but I never played that.

I guess if you held a gun to my head I would say Metroid Prime 3. And... I'd say Metroid Fusion if it was longer.

I dunno, my first Metroid was Return of Samus

Mine too. It was the first game I ever owned.

Nostalgiaaaaaa. ;w;

Edited by Kellie Gator

the ones i just hate or suck at are definetly

strategy: though i have some "stategic" moments in shooters i'm not made for those...

point and click: those just feel like you point somebody out at a police station and that is definetly more exciting than this games.

and oh my gawd those sport games: just... no okay.

also while where at it i never had any metroid games and didn't came around to change that.

Edited by shiy0

I loved Starcraft but for its singleplayer mostly. Anybody else feel like Starcraft 2 blows chunks?

I got into grand strategy games not long ago. I love the detail and the chaos. Europa Universalis IV is a history setting, so it's not the fantasy Sci-fi you're looking for, but you can stop slow or speed up the clock. It is also absolutely massive. Hard to describe how massive, really. It's just very detailed in its take on realism.

Supreme Commander (the first one, not the second one) is another highly recommended one. I love how its resource system works and I love the factory automation available.

Honestly, I've determined that competitive FPS gaming requires LESS twitch-reflex capability than even the most casual online RTS play.  Seriously, I watched a tournament match of Starcraft, and when I expected two units to stand across from each other and lob shots until their health bars ran out, I watched their controllers repeatedly move them in and out to exploit the game into sending out their shot and retreating so the return fire would miss.  It was like two amoebas vibrating next to each other, and if that's any indication of how online play works in RTS's anymore, then all matches are pretty much even until one player's connection starts running just a -little- bit slow.

If you enjoy actually -building- stuff in strategy games online, you're shit outta luck; it's all rushes nowadays.  You're only bet is to just stick to single player, or find a game that allows for 'gentleman's agreements' - Some games have an option for matches that disallows attacking each other for a set period of time, allowing players to build up defenses to make it an actual game instead of the aforementioned rock-paper-scissors match.

• Like 1