Rant: Major Bashing

Kaizy

Computer Science is baby version for Software Engineering.

Now it's a good thing I do both Art and Coding for my stuffs so I can insult both major without looking like a fool. Maybe an asshole, yes, but a BETTER asshole.

I don't think I would be an asshole if I was a STEM major because I don't think my major is going to change my personality. If you're a dick after STEM, chances are you were a dick before it too.

I rather help someone fix an artwork than fixing a code. The latter is fucking rageworthy and brings the worst out of people. Hell, if you don't mark the "invalids" of the years in the STEM field and talk about how they will probably leave after a few more months so you don't have to deal with him in your group in the future, you're not doing it right.

Edited by Zeitzbach
  • Like 1

Indeed it is most of the time, especially when the person is so full of themselves, makes no effort and expects to get away with it (my first year in one of my classes, we had a month to complete a project, and some guy whipped his together literally before the start of the class, and got torn a new asshole by every single student in the class and the professor), or is like the story I told you, an ignorant fuck.

Though of course, you can get uppity pricks DOING the critique as well. I had a weeb in her mid 20's tear apart one of my pieces, and it became less of a critique and more of a personal attack. She thought since her work was **so above** the work of the rest of the class that she was Queen Shit, and would randomly target other people in the class and verbally attack them as a 'critique'.

And when I say weeb, I mean the kind of weeb that speaks Japanese and dresses the part 24/7.

Being called a racist slur doesn't harm you directly. Racial oppression and racist laws harm you. Comparing the two is completely impossible.

I get called shit all the time, it comes with the territory. That's not my problem, my problem is when I can't get a job because of who I am.

Exactly. You're the kind of person who won't stand up for themselves. 

Well, if you do ever want to lash back at him, might I make a suggestion? Just remind him that, since his social skills have gone beyond poor to completely antisocial, he can be substituted with any other similarly skilled coder on Earth, of which there are many--mostly living in places with far lower prevailing wages.

Bazinga.

Given a choice between many people with the same basic skill set, most customers will ultimately choose the one who made them *feel good,* and/or had the best work ethic.

STEM majors are some of the most insufferable fucks in the world. I mean, I have nothing against the field or anything (I mean I went for a STEM degree), but it just attracts some of the worst, most insufferable fedora-toting fucks on the planet.

I respect STEM fields immensely, but yes, this is unfortunately been my experience too.

I know too many STEMers who act half their age (in a bad way) and who manage to embody all of the worst mainstream stereotypes of Aspergers *without actually having autism.*

I respect STEM fields immensely, but yes, this is unfortunately been my experience too.

I know too many STEMers who act half their age (in a bad way) and who manage to embody all of the worst mainstream stereotypes of Aspergers *without actually having autism.*

It always seemed like some kind of elitist thing that stems (hurr) from the increasingly prevalent notion that STEM degrees are the only degrees that are worth anything, and if you're not getting one you're just too stupid for it and are just gonna get a liberal arts major and flip burgers for life. Unlike them of course, who will get a six-figure job right out of school because the local news said so and will be swimming in pussy because they'll be super rich and will finally get to feel important and superior.

And god help you if you get a degree in any kind of artistic field.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 1

Exactly. You're the kind of person who won't stand up for themselves. 

What? How does not standing up for myself mean I can't get a job? That's a political thing that is being fought, what does me not wanting to cuss out some guy who said "faggot" have anything to do with that whatsoever?

You are very good at comparing situations that are utterly different.

It always seemed like some kind of elitist thing that stems (hurr) from the increasingly prevalent notion that STEM degrees are the only degrees that are worth anything, and if you're not getting one you're just too stupid for it and are just gonna get a liberal arts major and flip burgers for life. Unlike them of course, who will get a six-figure job right out of school because the local news said so and will be swimming in pussy because they'll be super rich and will finally get to feel important and superior.

And god help you if you get a degree in any kind of artistic field.

MBAs sometimes harbor a similar attitude, minus the fedora.

What's funny there is how many depressed MBAs I've known whose life plan reminds me of the Underpants Gnomes': 1) Get MBA 2) Do Business at the Work Factory 3) ????? 4) Profit!

MBAs sometimes harbor a similar attitude, minus the fedora.

What's funny there is how many depressed MBAs I've known whose life plan reminds me of the Underpants Gnomes': 1) Get MBA 2) Do Business at the Work Factory 3) ????? 4) Profit!

The vast majority of MBA programs are simply predatory. Students' expectations of an MBA come from the old and highly prestigious programs at places like Harvard and U. Penn. Eventually every other college realized they could bring in a lot of cash by offering their own business degrees with no discounting on tuition. Of course, there's a world of difference between a well-connected, prestigious program offering degrees to students that often already have significant management experience and a brand new department pulling in people whose entire career path is "business student".

TBH, one of the reason the art field can be bashed is because the word "Artist" and "Autist" is only a letter apart.

Some artists are nice.

But for some reason, most of the artists I talk to and dislike go to "Art schools".

I shit-talk about most the entire major system in general but Art is the one I tried to stay away from making fun on social media. You can't talk shit about their major without them bitching about it 10x harder than people saying "the S in STEM is for Stress, not Science" while throwing a tantrum.

That and in actual business situation, you need more people from STEM field than from art field. There's a reason why the office I'm working at only has 1 graphic per game while having 3-4 people per dev team. There are less of them graduating per year with only half of that amount not being parasites yet the business world needs a lot more of them every year.

My attitude has always been that people should think in terms of what they're good at, and, secondarily, what they enjoy, because simply majoring in something because it "makes money" assumes that the job market won't ever shift, and fails to take into account how you might actually hate or suck at said "profitable" area of study.

Majoring in something you're mediocre at is just as threatening to your long-term livelihood and success (not to mention mental health) as majoring in underwater gender studies or what have you, by my way of thinking.

I hold degrees in Mathematics and Philosophy and the latter was by far more work than the former.

Most people are idiots though and think philosophy is just old men with beards sitting around wondering if chairs are real or not so the practical applications of that field of study are lost on them.

STEM snobs are mostly insufferable though because they lack imagination and creativity so pursuing any field of inquiry that can't be proximally converted into currency is something they dismiss offhand as worthless.

I took a bunch of philosophy classes in college, almost minored in it even, and yeah. Some of the hardest work I've put into school.

Those fucking papers man ._. those fucking papers were worse than the big monsters I had to do for my English courses.

Kinda sounds like you're a coward.

Getting walked on is clearly the smart thing to do. Spineless and brainless. Are you some sort of bacterial? 

Try not to get your panties in a knot and lash out with petty insults, hm?

I don't need to confront someone and tell them to their face that they're being a dick if I don't wish to. This guy is known for jumping at the chance to debate and start arguments, and I didn't want to deal with that shit, especially since I have to work with him in this group for the next week.

Edited by Kaizy

I go through something similar. I go to a rather 'prestigious' art school but I don't go for illustration or fine arts, I go for Photography. I often get the whole 'we envy you' and 'your work must be so easy' because they think my photography is easier than their drawings. It's true that the actual photo taking takes less time but the set up and editing afterward takes forever! It pisses me off to no end.

Try not to get your panties in a knot and lash out with petty insults, hm?

I don't need to confront someone and tell them to their face that they're being a dick if I don't wish to. This guy is known for jumping at the chance to debate and start arguments, and I didn't want to deal with that shit, especially since I have to work with him in this group for the next week.

It sounds like you will be dealing with that shit because you will be working with him.

Maybe if you're lucky someone else in your group will have the courage to tell him to behave himself. 

Edited by #00Buck

It sounds like you will be dealing with that shit because you will be working with him.

Maybe if you're lucky someone else in your group will have the courage to tell him to behave himself. 

Or you could just tolerate him like other terrible people you're forced to work with since raising a stink when you're supposed to be working together on something is a fucking terrible idea that will only fuck everyone over. Just get that shit over with and never talk to him again.

• Like 1

Or you could just tolerate him like other terrible people you're forced to work with since raising a stink when you're supposed to be working together on something is a fucking terrible idea that will only fuck everyone over. Just get that shit over with and never talk to him again.

People here are such doormats.

People act like jerks and nobody says anything. 

Now wonder the world is an awful place. 

You all just encourage people who are a-holes to keep doing it because by doing nothing you let them know it's okay. 

You all just encourage people who are a-holes to keep doing it because by doing nothing you let them know it's okay. 

Okay, we'll stand up for ourselves.

Stop being an A-hole, Buck. :3

• Like 1

Y'all get bullied and then you encourage the bullies?

I thought being a bully was bad. 

Well seeing as how the things these people say don't actually affect us, we're honestly not getting bullied at all. More like people are trying to be bullies and are getting ignored because they're pathetic.

• Like 1

It's not encouraging it's learning to ignore people as opposed to starting shit that will make them target you even more. If I'm at a bar or some other "casual" public place and someone's being an obnoxious shit to me I'll tell them off because it's relatively consequence-free as I won't have to deal with him later. If it's someone in my class/a co-worker I don't feel like making an outright enemy of someone who I run the risk of needing to work together with because contrary to popular belief, upper management/my teacher/whatever doesn't give a shit about who I don't like.

It's not encouraging people (who'll find encouragement no matter what, especially with the internet being so common), it's called being a big boy and learning how to life properly.

• Like 2

Y'all get bullied and then you encourage the bullies?

I thought being a bully was bad. 

What is this, high school? I never mentioned a bully. I mentioned one guy who's a pretentious douchenozzle. He doesn't target people and act like a total dick to them, he's just full of himself and has little to no tact with what he says, basically the "I'm gonna speak my mind regardless of the situation" kind of person.

Stop framing him like he's some high school bully pushing me down and taking my lunch money everyday, and I should just stand up to him or something. This is literally the first time I've ever interacted with him. He's not a bully, he's just got an inflated ego and runs his mouth.

Edited by Kaizy

Dictionary definition:

A blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.

Sounds like your new friend. Enjoy your group project. 

He's not badgering or intimidating me. You're really reaching for that one.

• Like 1

to harass or urge persistently; pester; nag:

Read your op. That's exactly what you complained about.

But enjoy his BS. You're sure to get lots of it seeing as you choose to do nothing about it.

Excuse me for not socking him in the fucking throat for making an undirected comment towards my major.

He was not harassing me and he wasn't pestering/nagging me. I think you need to read the OP because the only comment he made that was specifically directed at me was the "envy" one, which was more him trying to backtrack to justify his stupid comment. His whole story and pretentious attitude were made before he even knew what my major was, and he always makes general pretentious comments. This is not targeted bullying like you keep trying to make it out to be. He's just a tactless idiot that doesn't think before he speaks.

• Like 3

Excuse me for not socking him in the fucking throat for making an undirected comment towards my major.

He was not harassing me and he wasn't pestering/nagging me. I think you need to read the OP because the only comment he made that was specifically directed at me was the "envy" one, which was more him trying to backtrack to justify his stupid comment. His whole story and pretentious attitude were made before he even knew what my major was, and he always makes general pretentious comments. This is not targeted bullying like you keep trying to make it out to be. He's just a tactless idiot that doesn't think before he speaks.

So tell him to think before he speaks. Then you won't have to post a rant about it on the forum. Time saved for more productive things. 

So tell him to think before he speaks. Then you won't have to post a rant about it on the forum. Time saved for more productive things. 

I'm pretty good at managing my bitching time. Call it a skill if you will.

Being called a racist slur doesn't harm you directly. Racial oppression and racist laws harm you. Comparing the two is completely impossible.

I get called shit all the time, it comes with the territory. That's not my problem, my problem is when I can't get a job because of who I am.

I wouldn't hire a shark either. You guys bite too much and you drop your teeth everywhere. That is a huge safety hazard.

• Like 1

You know there is a reason why computer science graduates get paid more. It's all about supply and demand. Nationwide only about 30,000 graduate each year .... Surprise surprise its a really hard major and only about half that try it can get it.

Fact is CS is harder than art or philosophy or business or psychology and you guys need to deal with it.

You know there is a reason why computer science graduates get paid more. It's all about supply and demand. Nationwide only about 30,000 graduate each year .... Surprise surprise its a really hard major and only about half that try it can get it.

Fact is CS is harder than art or philosophy or business or psychology and you guys need to deal with it.

What exactly is there to deal with?

It's not a really hard major, but it is competitive if you want to get a job internship in CS or any IT field. Engineering would be more of a difficult major than Computer Science.  As far as art goes, it depends. Graphic designers can get more bang for their buck as long as they are willing to sell themselves and place themselves in other avenues aside from "freelancer". CS can be just as hard as an Art, science, or business major since there are now jobs that are asking for some experience with design and art expertise (I.e. Websites), but not as difficult as philosophy. 

It's not a really hard major, but it is competitive if you want to get a job internship in CS or any IT field. Engineering would be more of a difficult major than Computer Science.  As far as art goes, it depends. Graphic designers can get more bang for their buck as long as they are willing to sell themselves and place themselves in other avenues aside from "freelancer". CS can be just as hard as an Art, science, or business major since there are now jobs that are asking for some experience with design and art expertise (I.e. Websites), but not as difficult as philosophy. 

Like hell. I landed a co-op position my first year in college. CS isn't hard. It's the easy mode of STEM, but so many lazy dickjerks go into college expecting it to be easy that they make the degree look difficult to complete. Fedoramancer, scriptkitties, gaem div get here and drop out because they have to learn theory and maths. 

Like hell. I landed a co-op position my first year in college. CS isn't hard. It's the easy mode of STEM, but so many lazy dickjerks go into college expecting it to be easy that they make the degree look difficult to complete. Fedoramancer, scriptkitties, gaem div get here and drop out because they have to learn theory and maths. 

A lot of people get discouraged in math, for sure and that's where they give up and switch majors or drop out. I like Comp Science, I think it's fun. I hate math, but I do it anyway. :V Maybe I am overlooking it because it's hard to get a CS based job here since there are good companies that ask for internship work or Volunteering first. 

It's also the same way with Library IT/CS degrees as well. People think that there's no math in it, but there is. Lots of it. Makes you wanna get doped up and fling your ams at it. 

Edited by Ozriel

No one said CS wasn't hard...? Like seriously, where are you people pulling all this weird shit from? That wasn't even the point of the thread and no one said CS is an easy career. Stop trying to pull some imaginary victim card here.

Fact is, I don't need to deal with anything. CS isn't my major nor do I want it to be. CS majors have their own career issues to worry about, and I'm not about to start mocking them for that and shit-talking their career choices, but I expect that same respect in return. So back down with your little "my major is hard and I make more money so you have to kiss my ass" mentality because you're no better than me just because you chose CS over every other major.

ITT people try to defend their shit choice in major. 

ITT CS majors with superiority complexes take personal offense to my comments about one arrogant guy making comments.

Yes, I am a wizard thank you.

I'm a CS student, everyone on my course is pretty relaxed about it. Though it is for mature students... a room full of 17 year olds just starting out might tell a different story.

I really have to disagree about it being 'harder' than arts degrees though. CS courses have a very rigid structure, are entirely fact-based (no need for creativity or imagination, just know how to use a search engine), and anyone willing to work can complete them. It's one of these things where if you just listen and do exactly what you're instructed to, you'll be fine. They're also really damn boring a lot of the time because of that.

I’ll tell you something, there is nothing more infuriating than egotistical people, especially in college. Like it’s one thing to think highly of your major, but to fucking insult mine right in front of me is bullshit. 

I didn't read the rest of the post; I just already agree with you.

music school has a lot of egos (i wouldn't be lying if sometimes i had one) and one in particular that really bothers me is performance majors in general. at some schools they kinda mock the education majors and just in general the pettiness of it is ridiculous. 

there are even some people who are in the ed program who take it upon themselves to think they're right all the time and usually 9/10 times they're like...mildly above average. not some hot shit who can justify their self-centered attitude.

Edited by evan
  • Like 1

Kaz you output so much salt. I'm going to get heart disease if you keep this going.  

I'm immune to salt. My body can handle it.

Besides, I'm not the one getting salty about things that aren't about me here. Unless of course one of you is actually attending my school and happens to be the one guy I'm talking about.

Edited by Kaizy

I'm immune to salt. My body can handle it.

Besides, I'm not the one getting salty about things that aren't about me here. Unless of course one of you is actually attending my school and happens to be the one guy I'm talking about.

Yeah. It's me. Small world.