Rant: I failed my Data Structures class

TrishaCat

Well, sort of. I have to take and pass a class called Data Structures in order to take most of the more complex higher up Computer Science courses, but I've been struggling to pass it and today I took a test that I know I failed that pretty much guaruntees I failed the class. In order to pass, one of the requirements is that, regardless of the actual overall grade, students must have at least a 60 average on all of their tests, and the class only has 3 tests. I failed the first one, and took the second one today that I know without a doubt I failed as well. Admittedly a lot of this is my fault, and I can accept that there was a lot of shirked responsibility on my part, as I have trouble managing time and didn't study nearly enough. However, not all of it is my fault, and it kind of pisses me off how the class is handled along with how the school handles CS and CSE majors in general.

The thing is, Data Structures is the next programming course up after taking Intro to Computer Programming and Intermediate Computer Programming. Those two classes were a semester each, and in them the classes taught the basics and more advanced parts of programming in the language "Python". They taught us how to program in Python. Python itself is a very simple easy language that does a lot of different parts of programming for you, and that's where the problem lies. Data Structures is taught in C++, another much harder more complex programming language. Unlike Python, you have to manually do a lot more stuff. For example, in Python you might create a list storing a bunch of different elements, or little pieces of information. If you wanted to delete one, you could delete it and it would go poof. But in C++, you have to account for memory allocation, where something is stored in the memory, how much is stored, and where stuff goes when you get rid of them. Other things you have to deal with are things called pointers, reference variables, and other things. C++ requires a lot more thorough programming work. And the thing is, we basically were given a month to learn in C++ what took two semesters to learn in Python, and I think that's unbelievably ridiculous. I might've understood if we started with C++ and did Data Structures in Python, but the other way around? I don't get it. Why would the department teach students a much simpler language and then give them so little time learning a harder one? The school even used to teach students in C++, but switched it over to Python really recently.

And besides that, there's other little things that bug me. Another thing is that we also get programming assignments that we have to do on our own time, and like tests, we need to make a 60 or higher on average on our programming assignments regardless of our overall grade. And I might be okay with that, except the teacher also says that if our code doesn't run, no matter how close we are to getting it right, no matter how much time and effort was put onto it, it gets a 0. And THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF. My last programming assignment I made a 0 on, and I had spent about 6 hours working on it. I know that I had almost a working program. There were just a few little things that I hadn't gotten right in it, and because of that the code wouldn't run properly. But I had run out of time, so all that work doesn't matter since the code doesn't work. I stayed up WAY later than I should working on it, skipping out on extracurricular club activities to work on it and after all that effort, I got a 0. I don't think that's fair. And now I've failed the class. Sure, a lot of it is my fault for not studying as much as I should, and I can accept that. But getting a 0 on an assignment after working for like 6 hours on it, and being expected to learn C++ in a month after 2 semesters of Python, when C++ is far better for teaching students how to think programmatically? I'm upset.  Failing this class will probably break my 3.0 GPA as well, which means I'll lose one of my scholarships. I'll be okay for next year, as I've got some money saved up, but after that I'm worried about how it'll affect my ability to pay for college. I know I've been thinking about finally getting a car since I still don't have one, but if I wind up having to use saved up money to pay for school, then that car money is down the drain. Don't know how I'll get a working vehicle once I finish school.

Besides that, all this struggling with this class has been extremely stressful. I'm not used to screwing up this badly in school. This'll be the first time I've ever failed a class. I don't like making phone calls to my parents, talking to them how tired I am and how I keep messing up in class. I don't like giving them bad news, and I don't want to let them down. They tell me that they're proud of me regardless, but you can't tell me that bad news and failure doesn't result in disappointment, at least to some degree. I'm the only child my mother has had that's gone to college. I don't want to fail, don't want her to lose that sense of pride my going here gives her. She's depressed and has been for a while, and I know my success makes her happy. I don't want to let her down.

Edited by Battlechili

You definitely shouldn't feel bad about struggling with a course that tried to combine "Introduction to C++" with Data Structures. C++ is an ugly, difficult language that largely sticks around due to support and optimization. You don't say "I'd like to do this in C++", you say "Shit, I'll have to do this in C++". It sounds like your department is trying to reform its undergrad curriculum but is implementing things piecemeal and breaking course progression. This actually isn't the first time I've heard this kind of story, either; I think CS programs often assume that students will be entering with significant background knowledge, or will pick it up in their spare time before they reach those same topics in their actual courses.

That's awful! If you get the test results and it is as bad as you think, you might still be able to drop the class to save your overall GPA. Have you checked if you've passed the cut off date for dropping classes? You might check with an academic adviser. I know I had to jettison my fair share of classes! It won't be a strictly linear progression. I agree that it sounds really over bearing. The school switching from C++ to Python recently is probably the culprit. Unless they deliberately designed this to be a weed-out class (such things rarely actually exist.)

Have you brought your concerns up with the professor? Always be sure to talk to the prof when you're having trouble (certainly took me a couple years to learn that lesson, but it really saved the day when it came to my Database class.)  Also talk to your professor about your 0. Don't go asking for a different grade, but definitely ask them to help you understand where you got it wrong. A good prof will be able to help you work through that code to the point that it meets the assignment requirements.

My college switched to a primarily Java shop after being C++, only a few years prior. But even then I didn't get into C++ until Operating Systems (and even then it was more C.) I wish you the best of luck! I know you might think your parents will have a hidden sense of disappointment, but it exists more in your head than in their hearts.

Edited by DrGravitas
Spacing; Do to Don't

I feel your pain man. My roommate's a CS major and he's always telling me about how difficult some of these languages like C++ and such can get, so it's understandable if you'd have trouble. I've also failed like one college course in my life and it's the worst feeling. I'm sure your parents will understand if you struggled really hard with a difficult course, especially if this is the first failing grade you've received so far in college. I suppose the best thing you can do is sign up to retake the course and maybe try to find tutorials or tutors to help learn the language.

I have a friend in computer science, struggling just as hard as you. Sorry man. I imagine you of all people tried your best. I can't even get down basic shit like HTML in Dreamweaver so more power to you for having tackled something straight up EX Unlimited Veteran mode like C++. Programming is rough stuff. Better luck next time, champ.

That's awful! If you get the test results and it is as bad as you think, you might still be able to drop the class to save your overall GPA. Have you checked if you've passed the cut off date for dropping classes? You might check with an academic adviser. I know I had to jettison my fair share of classes! It won't be a strictly linear progression. I agree that it sounds really over bearing. The school switching from C++ to Python recently is probably the culprit. Unless they deliberately designed this to be a weed-out class (such things rarely actually exist.)

Have you brought your concerns up with the professor? Always be sure to talk to the prof when you're having trouble (certainly took me a couple years to learn that lesson, but it really saved the day when it came to my Database class.)  Also talk to your professor about your 0. Don't go asking for a different grade, but definitely ask them to help you understand where you got it wrong. A good prof will be able to help you work through that code to the point that it meets the assignment requirements.

I can't drop any classes at this point. I only have about 13 credit hours as it is anyways, and anything below 12 could severely hurt my ability to pay for college, as I must maintain full-time status going here. I had more before, but I already dropped a few of my classes for being too hard/not having time to study for them (Japanese I, in particular, which is a class that wasn't required that I stupidly elected to take).

My professor isn't really all that useful for assignments; he just stands there and tells me what I need to do (which is something else that bugs me, as that's his whole teaching style. We don't ever code in class; he just stands there talking), when what I really need is a slow paced walkthrough going over everything and why things work, which he isn't going to be able to give since he's going to school himself and doesn't have much time to give help.  He has very limited office hours. Plus I'm not sure what to talk to him about anyways. Admittedly I'm so behind on C++ I'd be a bit embarrassed to have to ask him things I should've already known. That's a dumb reason to not talk to him though I'll admit; even if it may hurt to ask and he may make a mention of it it'd help me in the long run.

Yo It sounds like your department is trying to reform its undergrad curriculum but is implementing things piecemeal and breaking course progression. This actually isn't the first time I've heard this kind of story, either; I think CS programs often assume that students will be entering with significant background knowledge, or will pick it up in their spare time before they reach those same topics in their actual courses.

I think you're exactly right; I've heard from others going here that they've been slowly making changes to the curriculum and such. A lot of students going here already have a lot of background knowledge, so that seems to be the case as well. I took one programming course in highschool, but my teacher wasn't very good and wound up giving us the code for pretty much every assignment, so that course didn't amount to much. It was just a really basic Python course anyways. 

I have a friend in computer science, struggling just as hard as you. Sorry man. I imagine you of all people tried your best. I can't even get down basic shit like HTML in Dreamweaver so more power to you for having tackled something straight up EX Unlimited Veteran mode like C++. Programming is rough stuff. Better luck next time, champ.

Wish your friend luck for me.

And nah, you give me too much credit. I'm too lazy and don't really know how to study properly. I went through highschool doing well just by going to class, so I didn't ever learn how to study and now I screw myself over on classes now that they're more difficult.

Edited by Battlechili

Admittedly I'm so behind on C++ I'd be a bit embarrassed to have to ask him things I should've already known.

That is exactly the way I felt in my Computer Architecture class before it finally clicked in my head: it's their job to help you. They've seen a lot worse, I guarantee it. Ask him what he thinks you're doing wrong. Ask for study tips or if he knows of any good study groups or tutors. Ask him if he has any good online resources. Ask him if he'd help you step through your 0 assignment and work with you to understand where you went wrong. Ask him for tips on coding style or how to keep problems like memory management from overwhelming you. Ask if he'll accept assignment programs written Python! (Hey, it worked for one guy I knew, although he was asking to give C++ in place of Java :P)

If you're already doomed to see this through to the end, then get everything you can out of the remaining class so you can blow it out of the water next semester! Go in every time he has hours and ask him about the last assignment, the previous class topic, or anything you can possibly think. Go over your class notes with him to make sure you got them right. Make him want to pass you just to get rid of you!

If he's not helpful in any of those categories, or he flat out asks you to stop coming to his hours, then approach the department head and ask if there is another Data Structure class you can take next semester that uses Python, or at least has a different professor that's "more suitable to your learning style."

I apologize, failure is really soul crushing, and I dont know if there's a way for you to recover but hopefully there is.

Having to admit you failed and have that smudge on your record and have to tell others around you you fail is also painful and awful.

...I think...I think I need to ragequit.