the click of death

Wrecker

so, a hard drive recently figured it was time to call it quits.

the last time that happened, a head got stuck on a platter and i broke it the fuck off trying to coerce it to let go.

the time before, it came off quite gracefully and it all lived long enough to salvage the data on it...

once again, i'm in the same predicament. i don't know exactly what its problem is, but the sound is awfully familiar. there's so much shit on that douche-machine that i don't want to download again, and i have no backup...

fucking mechanical bullshit.

another problem is those usb backup drives that stand up vertical, they're like fucking dominoes. i used to have five of them side by side, and one had a cord that kinda stuck out and looked all out of sorts sticking out above them all, so i tried to pull it down to straighten it out... well, that cord was tangled with the cord of the drive on the end and it made the stupid fucking thing tip over onto the rest of them... they were up on a shelf, all of them went sideways, except for two of the drives which took about an 8' fall and got fucked. one of them happened to be the backup to the drive in question on this computer.

fuckk

Edited by Wrecker

You have my deepest condolences. But I have to ask...

the last time that happened, a head got stuck on a platter and i broke it the fuck off trying to coerce it to let go.

the time before, it came off quite gracefully and it all lived long enough to salvage the data on it...

You mean you took apart a drive, managed to get the head in working order, put it back together and it worked? I had no idea this was even possible unless you use a clean room or something. I am actually impressed.

• Like 1

You have my deepest condolences. But I have to ask...

You mean you took apart a drive, managed to get the head in working order, put it back together and it worked? I had no idea this was even possible unless you use a clean room or something. I am actually impressed.

it's not 100% every time, obviously, but hang out near a fan when you do it, and be super careful. least that works-ish for me.

So you have a HISTORY of drive failures, it's happening again, and you are again preoccupied with how to rescue your data?  Why don't you have backups.  It's not like this is the first time.  Like, if your house burns down twice, after the third time it's rebuilt, are you still all 'Pfft, smoke detectors cost more lives than they save!'?