Figure I'll spread the good word on Andrew Loomis' old and excellent books. Some generous soul put them up for free here:

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

"Fun with a Pencil" is the one you want to start with if you're a beginner and what I'm just finishing. He makes everything very accessible and there are lots of exercises to help you improve your work.

• Like 3

Actually they're not free anymore since the books actually came out quite a few years ago on barnes and noble considering i've own the book Fun with a Pencil and will be getting the others ones in the future. Including the lost book I Love to Draw.

In what way does this make them not free

In what way does this make them not free

Well considering the announcement that the Andrew Lommis Collection was being reprinted by Titan books between 2011 and 2013 and the fact the physical copy of the art are usually better than PDF. Which there are now six books of loomis one that hasn't been released till now. So basically it would be better to have a physical copy of the book especially if your a mixed/ traditional artist. Since you really can't rely on digital sketching or drawing all the time.

Well considering the announcement that the Andrew Lommis Collection was being reprinted by Titan books between 2011 and 2013 and the fact the physical copy of the art are usually better than PDF. Which there are now six books of loomis one that hasn't been released till now. So basically it would be better to have a physical copy of the book especially if your a mixed/ traditional artist. Since you really can't rely on digital sketching or drawing all the time.

You can buy reprintings of HG Wells' works as well as find them online. You can choose to pay but the free option is still there. If you have the money by all means buy copies but if you can't...  you can typically find good scans. I'm pretty sure loomis belongs to the creative commons now so anyone is free to print or own a copy for free. 

EDIT: It's still under copyright but the holders don't seem to defend this right. 

You can buy reprintings of HG Wells' works as well as find them online. You can choose to pay but the free option is still there. If you have the money by all means buy copies but if you can't...  you can typically find good scans. I'm pretty sure loomis belongs to the creative commons now so anyone is free to print or own a copy for free. 

EDIT: It's still under copyright but the holders don't seem to defend this right. 

But my point is still valid considering the books were reprinted a few years ago plus the fact that physical copies of his books are out since they have been out of print for decades. And the fact that physical copies of the earlier books are extremely sought after.

But my point is still valid considering the books were reprinted a few years ago plus the fact that physical copies of his books are out since they have been out of print for decades. And the fact that physical copies of the earlier books are extremely sought after.

How does this make them not free. 

Well considering those are PDF's links and i remember back on the old FAF links to those got removed due to the books being reprinted since i recally people have been trying to get the loomis family to reprint those books till now. So it's no longer free especially if they're selling the books. Especially if they're revisions of books.

Well considering those are PDF's links and i remember back on the old FAF links to those got removed due to the books being reprinted since i recally people have been trying to get the loomis family to reprint those books till now. So it's no longer free especially if they're selling the books. Especially if they're revisions of books.

If I get a hold of it without paying cash it's free

And here's one thing you don't understand at all Brass. I would rather get physical reprinted book that's revised and support the publisher and family than use the free PDF's especially if they're releasing never before seen books. Especially with that kind of mindset your showing Brass especially since i tend to buy stuff that are updated, revised, or hasn't been released in the US for years.

I just found out the other day about those revised / new printings you mentioned. I personally don't care about revisions but I prefer to read physical copies instead of my screen, so I tried to borrow them at the library here. Toronto's entire system has like 16 copies of each book, but sadly they're all always on loan! For me the PDFs are an alternative way to access the information instead of borrowing it.

If the link's gotta go, it's gotta go. I can appreciate supporting authors, but Andrew Loomis has been dead since '59 so any money made on books isn't going to the original creator.

• Like 2