Moving to IPv6?

AshleyAshes

So, in reading, ARIN has run out of IPv4 addresses for North America.  Since my ISP (TekSavvy) supports IPv6 and so does my router (Asus AC-66U) I'm thinking of moving on up.  This is a bit out of my field of knowledge so I wanted to ask a few questions.

1) Can I still run IPv4 for my local NAT?  192.168.X.X?  For local work, IPv4 makes remembering the IPs of my local machines kinda easy. :P

2)What happens if I have an older devices, like game console or something, that doesn't support IPv6 on my network?

I can't think of a compelling reason to change natted internal RFC 1819 networking addresses to IPv6.   You can run ip4 and ip6 on the same network at the same time, but again, why?  I'd leave it all as is. 

On the network side, switching to ipv6 wont work if your dsl modem doesn't support it too.  Some do, most of the older speedstreams may not.  What does your carrier recommend?  Are they asking you to  change?

That sucks. When they do finally get off their lazy ass though I'd recommend a dual stack (IPv4 + IPv6). There are a lot of sites out there that still don't support IPv6, so you'll still need v4. However, many OSes are designed to prefer IPv6 so connections are a little bit faster as they connect as soon as they have v6 info, instead of getting v4 info and waiting a bit longer to see if v6 info shows up.

It was a bit of a PITA to get v6 set up for me but part of that was trying to figure stuff out that I had no idea. Once it was set up and the growing pains sorted out it was all smooth sailing.

If your ISP supports it, there's no reason not to go IPv6 ASAP. Better to get all this sorted now so that when things finally start switching over it's not an issue, and it also encourages switchover to happen sooner by increasing IPv6 statistics (poking the whole "nobody uses because nobody supports because nobody uses" issue).

This entire thread is moot now.  It turns out TekSavvy only offers IPv6 on their DSL service.  Their cable service, which I use, which rides on Rogers Cable, only offers IPv4 because Rogers Cable. :/

Which makes sense, because Bell's dls service (which Tek rides on) supports ipv6.