Writing Journal

GamingGal

Hey guys!

So. this is going to be a place I keep track of the progress I make writing each day. I plan on trying to get in the swing of writing daily, and hopefully writing more and more with each day. I figure having this.....journal of sorts in a public place would be a bit of an encouragement to keep going since others are aware of my progress or lack thereof. With that said, please feel free to use a post as a place to keep track of your writing as well! We all need to keep each other going after all, right?

Anyways, onto my note-taking.

1. 1/23 -- Wrote about 3,300 words of my book. It still sucks to write, like how exercising an underused muscle feels, but things are starting to loosen up a bit.
  2. 1/24 -- Wrote 1,379 words of my book. Not as much, but I'm getting through a lot of filler content and basic laying out of facts.
  3. 1/25 -- Wrote 1,523 words of my book. Getting a bit more in the groove and feeling out the characters again.
  4. 1/26 -- Wrote 385 words of my book. A measly amount, but I put off writing too late into the night and had to trudge through dialogue.

------------------------------------------------

This will be continued!

Edited by GamingGal
  • Like 1

Don't feel discouraged at the word count drop from day one to day two. Anything is better than nothing, and anyhow, that's still more words than my daily average when I'm working on a novel. I really only hit about a thousand a day. Sometimes less if the words are being dicks. Honestly, 3,300 is a fucking lot :P

Wrote some more!

Also, I wanted to share the music I listen to while I write. Maybe it'll help you guys?

1. How Come by Ray LaMontagne
  2. Too Many Women (Damon Elliot Remix) by Rachel Sage (from the Fame soundtrack)
  3. Vive la Vida by Coldplay
  4. Imaginary by Evanescence

Weird list, I'm sure, but it just gets me in the mood to write for some reason xD

I listen to music while I write as well, though I stick to purely instrumental stuff, at least for fiction. If I'm doing some nonsense blog post then I'll jam to whatever.

Albums I go to are:

1. Robotobots - Brian Altano
  2. Misanthrope - Brian Altano
  3. In the Atmosphere - Thomas Rakowitz
  4. Streams vol 1 - Thomas Rakowitz
  5. And sometimes random Lindsey Sterling playlists.

Edit: and in the spirit of the thread, I churned out about 1200 words last night. Test readers all said I needed an epilogue for this book, and well, now they have one.

Edited by Conker

I listen to piano sometimes when the mood strikes me. Since I have an actual old record player now, I plan on playing some records while writing sometime. Of course, this means I'll need to write before the roommate goes to sleep xD

I'm going to look up those songs tomorrow night and see if any of them strike me. I'm always looking to expand my list!

Woo for churning out an epilogue! Gotta listen to what the readers say. Speaking of readers, my girlfriend has been reading the bits as I finish writing them, but I'm having the hardest time trusting her judgement. I know she wouldn't lie to me, but at the same time I worry, you know? And I'm too protective of my writing to let other's read it. I guess I worry I feel it's good when it's nothing but mediocre?

8 hours ago, GamingGal said:

I listen to piano sometimes when the mood strikes me. Since I have an actual old record player now, I plan on playing some records while writing sometime. Of course, this means I'll need to write before the roommate goes to sleep xD

I'm going to look up those songs tomorrow night and see if any of them strike me. I'm always looking to expand my list!

Woo for churning out an epilogue! Gotta listen to what the readers say. Speaking of readers, my girlfriend has been reading the bits as I finish writing them, but I'm having the hardest time trusting her judgement. I know she wouldn't lie to me, but at the same time I worry, you know? And I'm too protective of my writing to let other's read it. I guess I worry I feel it's good when it's nothing but mediocre?

The above are albums. Misanthrope is free to download at misanthropealbum.com, and the two albums by Thomas Rakowitz are free to stream on his bandcamp page.

Thomas is a friend of mine, which is one of the reasons I turn to his music. Well, that and it's really chill when he wants it to be.

I've found that listening to test readers can be a mixed bag, which is why you wan't a handful later on in the drafting stage. One will like something and another will hate it, or vice versa. In my case, ALL of them said I wrapped up my story way too abruptly and that it needed a bit more closure. I had been toying with the idea myself anyhow, and the scene I cooked up is pretty good, I think. Lots of metaphor in burying something :P

I can empathize with everything else though. It can be hard trusting people to give you an honest critique, either from a lack of knowledge or from their fear of not wanting to hurt your feelings. I do kinda like sending my book out to one person who I know will like it simply because it helps counter the negativity of those I know will be very harsh. My ego can be very fragile.

I can also be overprotective. Given how easy it is to post something on deviantart or a blog, it's hard throwing out a word doc you spent hundreds of hours on to someone. I'll be sending my book to a good friend of mine, and even I'm like, "but what if?" because we're online chums and I can't physically kill him if he fucks me. He won't. He's not a dick, and neither is his bro who wants to read it, but holy shit is it hard to click on "send" sometimes.

As to your last bit, I think that comes with the trade. My advice right now is to not worry about test readers and whatnot if you're still only on draft one. Get that done first and then worry about what someone else might think. YOu don't want to risk getting a negative critique on an early chapter and have that halt all of your momentum to go forward.

5 hours ago, Conker said:

As to your last bit, I think that comes with the trade. My advice right now is to not worry about test readers and whatnot if you're still only on draft one. Get that done first and then worry about what someone else might think. YOu don't want to risk getting a negative critique on an early chapter and have that halt all of your momentum to go forward.

Oh, I'm way past draft one. This is my second editing round and probably my last.

It will probably need more editing (editing never ends, as they say :P), but I'm one of those people who obsesses to get things right the first time around. In high school I was the kid who refused to do outlines or first drafts, but I always walked out with an A+ on anything I wrote xD Instead of risking fussing over it too much, I let the book speak for itself. I don't want to edit it to death, and I know if I keep editing it I'll cut those major arteries and it'll bleed out and die.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...