Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

TrishaCat

So in recent days Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc was released on Steam. Its essentially the Vita version, but in higher res at 60 FPS. I had never played the game before, so I decided to try it. And WOW, is it fantastic.

I suppose calling it a game is a bit of a stretch, although it is highly interactive. Its a visual novel about these "ultimate" kids who get invited to a great school for the gifted with promises of a great future, but then they wind up locked in with only one way out: In order to leave, someone must kill another and then get away with it. After a murder has taken place, a certain amount of time is given for the player to investigate the crime. After a while, a trial will take place and in a sort of Phoenix Wright fashion (or so I've been told. I've not played those games) you have to prove who did it by proving opponent statements wrong, participating in arguments, presenting correct evidence when relevant to a given conversation, and participate in various silly mini-games to solve the case. If you fail, you lose and the killer gets to leave while everyone else is executed. Otherwise, only the killer is executed.

It really is a fantastic game, complete with a really dramatic soundtrack and an interesting if somewhat archetypical cast of characters.

Has anyone played it? Anyone playing the current PC version? How do you like it?

Screenshots:

0HFpGcf.png

HAZGlSb.png

Edited by Battlechili

9 minutes ago, willow said:

I played it on the Vita when it came out and really liked it. unfortunately I can't really talk a lot about the game itself without spoiling anything

You could put spoiler text as white text so its not visible unless people actively highlight it. But even if you can't, maybe you have a favorite character? I just got past the second trial. Honestly didn't expect Mondo to be the killer. I thought it was Byakuya up until that point, thinking that the game wanted me to believe it was Toko and was going to pull a twist on me. But nope, it wasn't even Byakuya. Which kinda sucks to be honest. Byakuya's AWFUL. Also sad about Chihiro. Was my favorite character. :(

14 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

You could put spoiler text as white text so its not visible unless people actively highlight it. But even if you can't, maybe you have a favorite character? I just got past the second trial. Honestly didn't expect Mondo to be the killer. I thought it was Byakuya up until that point, thinking that the game wanted me to believe it was Toko and was going to pull a twist on me. But nope, it wasn't even Byakuya. Which kinda sucks to be honest. Byakuya's AWFUL. Also sad about Chihiro. Was my favorite character. :(

not gonna lie but Monobear was one of my favorite characters along with Chihiro

which reminds me, did you watch the anime for DR beforehand or at least read the Let's Play on SomethingAwful?

1 minute ago, willow said:

not gonna lie but Monobear was one of my favorite characters along with Chihiro

which reminds me, did you watch the anime for DR beforehand or at least read the Let's Play on SomethingAwful?

Nope. I went in mostly blind. I DID watch the first episode of the anime, but nothing further than that. I heard the anime wasn't very good to be honest.

1 minute ago, Battlechili said:

Nope. I went in mostly blind. I DID watch the first episode of the anime, but nothing further than that. I heard the anime wasn't very good to be honest.

it really wasn't but it was alright if you were kind of already familiar with the story

• 1 month later...

Danganronpa 2 just came out on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/413420/

On 2/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, willow said:

it really wasn't but it was alright if you were kind of already familiar with the story

Having beaten DR1 now I decided to take a look and I think it was all right. The OP is my favorite part of the anime though.