Stoked!

Wrecker

So, I ordered a couple of R710 SFF servers for dirt cheap.

They don't have much going, no drives and not much memory, but fuck am I stoked to finally get to mess around with actual rackmount servers in my own home.

They're both equipped with 2 E5504 Xeon's and loaded with 12gigs of DDR3 1333mh/z memory (6x 2gb slot of 18 available).

Found a pile of cheap 146g SAS drives that apparently tested well from a reputable source to accomodate all 16 2.5" slots for HDD's between the two, but it looks like I'm going to be hung up waiting for caddies to ship, so only 5 should be useable by the time the servers show up, which is fine...

I'm fucking so stoked, I've never had the opportunity to mess around with stuff like that. I can't wait until they show up, I haven't been stoked like this in a while. I don't even know what I'm going to do with them just yet, but I have so many ideas. I'm looking forward to just messing around and figuring out what I'm going to do to network them. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrecker said:

I can't wait to break them and have a few "I fucked up" moments without having to email any service providers :P

Ah, the wonderful ability to accidentally firewall yourself out of your machine without having to call the service provider to fix it.

• Like 1

On 06/18/2017 at 3:51 AM, fennecbyte said:

Ah, the wonderful ability to accidentally firewall yourself out of your machine without having to call the service provider to fix it.

Also, being able to push the power button off and on :P

Sometimes you gotta just be able to turn the fkn thing right off and literally unplug it lols.

They're here now and already fucking me around :D! Advertised as the SFF 2.5" iteration of them, and a couple of 3.5" servers showed up. Even the P.O. says 2.5" SFF R710... All of the drives and caddies I had ordered to arrive before them, big hole, no fit :(. Could definitely send them back, but fuck it they're here, they're running, and yeah, they're running.

So, now a bunch of 3.5" caddies with 2.5" adapters are on their way, and like fuck if I'm goona let that screw me over. It's janky fucking strips of cardboard holding those 2.5" drives up in there until the real shit comes... x.x

Lol cardboard lyfe

20170623_230605.jpg

• Like 1