Commercial Sewing Machines

Kellan Meig'h

If anyone wants info, tips, etc. on commercial sewing machines, I might be able to help. I currently have a Nakajima Rex sewing machine, btw. Big and sturdy, it will sew anything you can fit under the presser foot. That includes fingers. Don't ask how I know.

My tigress has a '50's vintage Brother home machine that runs better than most new machines. $27 USD from a goodwill place.

Kel

Do you find that it's useful enough for faux fur to justify the investment? I'm told that a regular sewing machine might do the trick if you trim the edges down, but I've not got much sewing experience at all (let alone on faux fur) and the sewing aspect of this whole fursuit project is what intimidates me the most. 

I have friends with sewing machines (who also, and this is key, have room for sewing machines, which I am short on) and I'm hoping that if I use theirs, my suit bits won't just fall apart.

Do you find that it's useful enough for faux fur to justify the investment? I'm told that a regular sewing machine might do the trick if you trim the edges down, but I've not got much sewing experience at all (let alone on faux fur) and the sewing aspect of this whole fursuit project is what intimidates me the most. 

I have friends with sewing machines (who also, and this is key, have room for sewing machines, which I am short on) and I'm hoping that if I use theirs, my suit bits won't just fall apart.

Actually, an industrial machine, for fursuit making, is real overkill in a way. I can still do work that looks like it came off of my wife's Brother sewing machine. However, if you can get one cheap, I dare you to wear it out. They are meant to run all day long for years so using one in a home setting, they will last you several lifetimes.

They do come with a few idiosyncrasies. The motor runs continuously because they have a clutch that's controlled by a treadle. The belt needs to have good tension but not too much or the clutch won't disengage. The needles are a bit hard to find, too.

If you do find one cheap, try it out before you plunk down your hard-earned duckets. If it makes nasty knocking noises inside, pass on it.

I run a White - Jeans Machine 8088 that I bought on CL for about $25, barely used.  Instruction manual diagrams are terrible, and it came with a VHS instructional video.  I've been able to get it to run through all fabrics I've tried, though it often needs a lot of help feeding unless I trim the fur. 

Things to think about are: maximum height of the foot, access for cleaning purposes, needle availability, motor strength, ability to lower the feed dogs, ease of threading... 

I run a White - Jeans Machine 8088 that I bought on CL for about $25, barely used.  Instruction manual diagrams are terrible, and it came with a VHS instructional video.  I've been able to get it to run through all fabrics I've tried, though it often needs a lot of help feeding unless I trim the fur. 

Things to think about are: maximum height of the foot, access for cleaning purposes, needle availability, motor strength, ability to lower the feed dogs, ease of threading... 

Is that an 8088 or an 1088? I've had a Jeans Machine (older one) and it wasn't that bad of a machine. It did balk at faux fur, though.

Most industrial machines have a very high 'up' height for the presser foot, unlike home machines. YOu usually don't hear someone say, "This won't fit under the foot." Even doing upholstery, I don't have any issues. As far as cleaning one, you can't ask for better ease of cleaning when dealing with an industrial machine. They are just too basic without all the nooks and crannies of a modern home machine.

Needle availability can be spotty at times, I will agree but I have found several places that stock what I need. Motor strength is a non-issue, since most have around 1/2 horsepower, +/-. threading shouldn't be hard, once you have a manual in hand. I would not suggest using one without a manual. This speaks from experience.

Most industrial machines have a walking foot that really helps move the material through the machine. That is what makes it shine compared to a home unit.

I should throw this out there - if you should buy a machine from Goodwill, CL, a garage sale (or rummage sale/jumble if that's what you call it), take the time to lubricate it before you use it. Be nice to your new to you machine. Especially if it's apparent it hasn't been used in decades.

Just my $0.02 USD worth. YMMV.

Kel