Media collection management software

Ginpanther

I had a big long post, I re-read it and consequently obliterated it in favor of an attempt to be more to the point.

TL;DR - I used to use MediaMan to keep track of all my DVDs and Blu-rays. It has become abandonware and doesn't work for shit with whatever changes Google and Amazon did to their APIs in late 2013, so adding new items to the catalog is basically an exercise in manual data entry. I'm looking for your recommendations on a software package to replace what I had. I've done the requisite Google run, I have seen All My Movies and Movie Collector and the various open source packages such as GCStar. What I'm seeking is recommendations based on your experience. What do you use, do you like it, what do you like about it, what don't you care for?

Payware, freeware, I don't care. Integration to a mobile app so I stop myself from buying the same movie I already own is a nice plus. About the only requirement I can put out there is that it run on Windows. 

Any insight you have is welcomed!

@6tails - Issue here is that I don't rip the disc to any sort of HTC (I know that @AshleyAshes is deeply disappointed in me right now). If I did, I imagine this problem would be logically resolved using essentially the method you describe for organization. I am looking for something to manage my physical media (with "manage" being interpreted in the sense of "what do I own," and not "what shelf/binder/tote is it in"). Yep, I'm that guy. At least I pull the discs out of the plastic clamshells and stuff 'em into those discount CD folders to save on space.

If I get to the point where I need a version of the Dewey Decimal System to organize and track the physical location of my discs I'll just go out to a nice forest preserve and off myself.

Oh, physical discs... just to know which ones you have or not? I'm afraid to ask, but approximately how many movies do you have?

Oh god. Well, to do a SWAG....  over 300 distinct titles on Blu-Ray alone. The DVD collection is probably four times the size (with overlaps because, well, I'll have to buy the White album again). So when you add the two plaforms together I'm at something like 1,200 different titles.

Oh god. Well, to do a SWAG....  over 300 distinct titles on Blu-Ray alone. The DVD collection is probably four times the size (with overlaps because, well, I'll have to buy the White album again). So when you add the two plaforms together I'm at something like 1,200 different titles.

Wow, that's amazing.  I don't particularly like movies, so I only have around 50 DVDs and some Blu-Rays for the few movies I'm passionate about.  Pretty easy to keep track of. :P

I prefer to go digital with just about everything now.  I even sometimes buy digital copies of stuff I have on disc, mostly with games, if I can get them DRM-free like through GOG. I keep all my game installer back-ups and media ripped in lossless format on a 2TB WD Green drive.  But I guess that's not feasible with a collection such as yours...

• 2 months later...

Well, to necro an old thread just to put some closure to it, I picked up a copy of All My Movies since I could get a discount for owning a (former) competitive product. As mentioned in OP, mobile client integration was a nice plus and they have two different ways to sync the DB off my PC to my Android. This should, in theory, get me out of the habit of buying a movie I already own just because it's on sale or I forgot I had it.

So far I've imported 242 of my BluRays. It's been fairly easy to scan them in with my trusty LS 4000i and I've yet to find a UPC that All My Movies mismatches on. Importing the DVDs is going to be a lot more work since I shucked them of their cases long ago, and importing by hand is not quite as fluid a process as it is by scanned UPC. But hey, at least I've got a usable tool again.