Alexxx-Returns' Sketchbook for Critique - V2

Alexxx-Returns

Of all the things lost on the move over, I think our sketchbooks are one of the saddest things to lose. Mine was quite a long journey of gradual improvement, and I was hoping to be going on with it for many many years.

But no time to dwell, best to use that time drawing and reflecting!

I'll start my new sketchbook with the last thing I uploaded onto an art site. I'd like to add every single thing I posted to my last sketchbook, but that seems just like silly sentiment now, perhaps I'll instead link it when the old forum is put back up.

Anyhow: NSFW for violence and gore. http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17690630/

• 1 month later...

Managed to do this over the course of this week.

18116379@400-1446329490.jpg

I always imagined my ex as a Braixen. The reasons for this are that he's a ginger, and he spins fire, and the way that Braixen moves and acts in Pokemon-Amie is uncanny. So here this is.

What do I like? I think the colours and the lineart look nice and crisp and bold.Like the creases on the lower part of the shirt. And I think I did a decent job at the Poke-morphing. I like doing Pokemorphs.

What do I not like? The hands. I live with 11 hand models people, so it's not hard to find someone willing to help me, but I still had trouble referencing them, particularly (his) right. So I just scrapped my reference photo I'd taken, and made one up. I also wanted to draw the stick on fire but I decided eventually I couldn't be bothered. Maybe some other day. Also I don't like the eyes, they lack expression. The whole face does.

• 1 month later...

Back with another.

I can't draw often any more since university is really demanding. Even if I don't draw, I'm always behind on my work, so I just don't really draw at uni. So I took the opportunity to do one in the holiday.

NSFW slightly because boobs.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/18617188/

Things I like: This was my first time drawing detailed horns, and I spent a lot of time on them and tried really hard, re-did them a couple times in places and I'm really happy with the result. Of course, there's a lot to be desired still but the more I practice, the better they'll get. I like the highlights on Callisto's hair. I'm bastardising the anime style and this is one of the things I've picked up recently. I like what I did there, makes it look more like hair strands. I need to do that more with the shading as well but I'll try that next time for sure. I also like a big change I made towards the end on Bane's eyes. In our classes we learned about lid lag, and I've been practising medical exams on my family to prepare for my exams and I realised in the process that normally, the pupil is always slightly obscured by the upper lid. So I'd been drawing eyes totally wrong sometimes. So I changed that and I've learned something important in the process that's helped my "art" along a little. I also like that there's more dynamicism in this drawing than normal! Callisto doesn't look stiff even though she's lying down. A lot to be desired with Bane though.

Things I don't like: The shading in the background. I was trying to do cel shading the same as I did for the figures but it looked really awful. I hate it. Maybe I should just do colour gradients in the future. I'll play around a little and see what works. This was an experiment in itself. One thing I was happy with was doing lineart for the background, I'm gonna continue this. I don't like the wings, but I think with each go at wings I'm getting a bit better. Just need to keep practising those. Especially the shading on them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recall you've been mentioning about the stiffness of your characters every now and then. Have you ever thought about intentionally making something just to challenge yourself and improve what you feel might be insufficient? One thing you could do about the stiffness issue is to try and draw people and characters in "odd" poses and try to convey what they're doing rather than what they look like (as in draw details that only convey their "actions"), either alone by themselves or on chairs, beds or whatever. I can recommend looking at Croquis Café [NSFW because of nude photos] on the photos they have of a lot of different people in various poses for a lot of great reference material to do this.

You could also try to do the same thing with shading as well. Try to make something where you "only" focus on what the shading should look like, both from stiff objects with defined shadows and uneven surfaces like cloth and skin/muscles/fur. Another thing is to consider where the light source is located in relation to your characters/objects, which makes me think of something I noticed from the image you've made here. Given how you've placed the shadows, the light source should be right behind the bed on the wall. However it must be pretty far down since you placed shadows on the pillows, objects which are normally quite flat. This doesn't really seem to match up with the shadows on the characters though, whose shadows would require the light to be higher up behind the bed. I think the fact that these shadows doesn't match up might be a reason why you don't like the shading right now. Simple shadows in itself could work just fine. But if they tell "conflicting messages" (i.e. there's shadows where they shouldn't be) it could risk making the image less believable. Therefore it's always good to keep in mind where you put a light source and which objects/characters would be affected by it. In addition, if you wish to take it even further, you could try to even consider reflective surfaces and areas which already has natural sunlight in them. They all either add or dampen shadows around them as well.

A bit late reply to something which was made a month ago, but I hope you can make use of this feedback nevertheless. It'd be fun to see how you improve your art in the future!

• 2 months later...

New piece

19494737@400-1459041251.jpg

This was referenced from a real photo and fursonafied.

I like: the shading on the body of the shirt, and the creases on it. The sleeve was awkward but I did the best I could with what I could see. Lighting in the photo wasn't great. I like the perspective in the arm, again, it took me ages to get it as "right" as I did and I think I managed it okay.

I don't like: Uhh.... just the usual suspect problems I guess.

If the lighting in the photo was poor why did you select it as your reference? 

Overall this is okay. I would have cropped the image lower, myself. Is the character meant to be a skunk? A white stripe up a broader tail would make that clearer. I'm not sure I would have the tongue out...generally looks a bit like a panting dog when people do that.

31 minutes ago, Saxon said:

If the lighting in the photo was poor why did you select it as your reference? 

Overall this is okay. I would have cropped the image lower, myself. Is the character meant to be a skunk? A white stripe up a broader tail would make that clearer. I'm not sure I would have the tongue out...generally looks a bit like a panting dog when people do that.

The photo had the tongue out so that's why I went for that ^.^ Character is a wolf with a skunk stripe, the tail was all black.

I thought the pose in the photo would be good, most places the lighting was okay, just on the sleeve really.

• 1 month later...

Oh yeah, I never posted this one here.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/19672727/ [NSFW NSFW]

What I like: the face, the shoulder, generally all the upper body and the shape, anatomy and dynamicism there. I like the grin a lot too.

What I don't like: the general anatomy of the ass. I didn't go total anatomically correct with it, but for the first try I'm okay with that. Next time I'll work on making it more explicit.

• Like 1