Help I'm retarded

Leem

Going to be a little limited and decent won't be 60fps ultra settings on the latest games but I'll have a gander on eBuyer for you, see what I can do :)

EDIT: Can you not stretch beyond £300?  I can probably make something you can upgrade over time easily for £300 but you will have to play stuff on medium/low for that price.  You'd be able to buy replacement parts at a later date but more now less later is what I'm thinking.

Edited by Zytan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zytan said:

Going to be a little limited and decent won't be 60fps ultra settings on the latest games but I'll have a gander on eBuyer for you, see what I can do :)

EDIT: Can you not stretch beyond £300?  I can probably make something you can upgrade over time easily for £300 but you will have to play stuff on medium/low for that price.  You'd be able to buy replacement parts at a later date but more now less later is what I'm thinking.

Yeah I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something to get me started.

"Decent" gaming PC has me confused, because at that price it's going to be hard to get anything truly decent. I definitely agree with what Zytan says about "more now, less later". It will save you more money overall if you can get a truly "decent" PC now, rather than a yucky one now and upgrade as you go, especially since you'll need to upgrade some things (like a GFX card) immediately since you'll be skimping on them initially. If you can re-use drives/cases/any parts at all that can save you some money too. I've seen some pretty nice builds for around $700, you might get away with slightly less, especially if you can re-use parts from your current PC. Refurbished parts and Newegg sales can often lead to good deals on good parts at cheaper prices too.

• 2 weeks later...

With a budget of 300 quid a console really might be the better solution for you.
The other option would be to buy a premade PC. In that case get the one with the best specs you can find that is within your budget.

The problem that I see here is the word "decent" because you can stretch "decent" any way you like. One person might think of a decent gaming PC as one that can play games from last year at 30fps, someone else might think of a decent gaming PC as one that can play the latest games at medium settings, 1080p and constant 60fps (to put that into perspective, even the XBone and PS4 can not do that!)

Personally, I put together my "new" PC yesterday which actually did cost me pretty much exactly 300 quid (400€ in my case). However, I did cut a lot of corners. I already had the case, power supply, drives and graphics card. So all the money went into a new mainboard, a Skylake i5 6500 and 16gb of DDR4 RAMen. I put this thing together as an editing rig, not as a gaming PC, so I just kept my 5 years old Radeon HD5670.
So if you already own an ATX case with power supply, some drives and a graphics card you could swap the board, GPU and RAM for now and then get a decent GPU later.

On 12/28/2015 at 1:46 AM, Harbinger said:

Spend the £300 on a console and games :V

The headache from self righteous PC twats wanting you dead is only slightly less that putting a PC together.

But assembling a PC is one of the simplest things... Much easier than figuring out the parts needed.

It's quite literally butting wire A into slot A and B to slot B. Hard to really fuck it up honestly.

36 minutes ago, Muugu said:

But assembling a PC is one of the simplest things... Much easier than figuring out the parts needed.

It's quite literally butting wire A into slot A and B to slot B. Hard to really fuck it up honestly.

One time I needed a power drill.  But I made that graphics card fit in that case anyway. >:3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muugu said:

But assembling a PC is one of the simplest things...

I have built a few PCs over the years, so far they all booted up perfectly on the first try. If I can do that anyone can :3

Shopping used might be a good idea as well. A PC that could play all games when it was put together two years ago should be able to run new games as well.

2 hours ago, 6tails said:

9800GTX+ in a mid-tower case? :D

I could pop open my case right now and show where I've dremeled out part of the HDD bay for the GPU.

R9 390X in a Antec One.  There was just oooooone little 'lip' of steel that rolled over and prevented the card from fitting, it was maybe 3mm but that made it not fit.  Lacking proper tools, we drilled out about an inch length of the lip on the drive bays off to fit the card in.

Edited by AshleyAshes