Ape Escape

TrishaCat

Anyone here a fan of the Ape Escape series? Its a series of first-party Sony platformers where your sole objective is to capture all the monkeys that are on the loose reeking havoc throughout the world after an evil genius monkey named Specter became smart due to a fancy intelligence boosting helmet and used his powers for EVIL.

They're really solid platformers with snazzy soundtracks (it was even dynamic to a degree!), and it seems like the series, barring spinoffs and references, is dead and/or dying. The last mainline Ape Escape game was 3 on the PS2. I'm afraid there's never going to be a new one. :/

I started playing the first one again recently and its got the coolest atmosphere; it feels like how people imagined the future in the 90s. Its so rad. Ape Escape 1 in particular was also even famous for being the first game to fully utilize every single control on the Dualshock controller. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8uUkpe4y0

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 2

I was a huge fan of the game but i remember being 5 trying to figure out how to move and i ended up spending about almost an hour before i realised it was the dualshock controllers. 

but wanna know something weird? The American version of ape escape 2 and the British version had two different completely different cast of voice actors despite being the exact script and language. The reason? No one knows but its stupid since the American version is far superior due to the fact Hikaru and natsume are voiced by the same voice actors who play as ash Ketchum and misty from pokemon! 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

I am a fan of the original and PSP version...since it's basically the same thing. Playing the emulator doesn't feel the same :c

It runs stable?  I tried Jak and Daxter and everyones' eyes were black holes... kinder got put off trying any other games.

I dunno. The original game runs perfectly for me after installing some proper plugins for PCSX-R. The controls are perfect, perhaps even more responsive than other versions.

The PS2 titles are a bit trickier on an emulator though.

Edited by Battlechili