My art blog

AlastairSnowpaw

So recently I made myself an art blog thing to motivate me to draw more frequently. I Also want to learn how to do tablet and digital drawing better. So i'm sort of posting everyday some sort of sketch or drawing I did. Though not all are ones i did that day.

http://artsandgoodies.tumblr.com/

I don't know how much of that stuff i will post here, but I'll at least post the two things I did today here.

Diego-head.jpg

cat-heads.jpg

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

Taking photos of artwork in traditional media. If you cannot scan them, place them flat against a hard, white surface, preferably illuminated evenly by sun light. Stand directly over the image, keeping your camera as far from the page as possible, so as to reduce lens distortion. Take care to make sure the image is in-focus. 

Once you have taken the photo, use a free image processing software, such as GNU to adjust the white balance, so that the whites appear white, rather than grey. 

With your tablet, make sure you have the correct driver software installed. Make sure that you have set your brush settings to 'pressure sensitive' and 'smooth' dynamics. At the moment it looks like you are using basic simple dynamics with the pressure sensitivity switched off. 

Yea i don't really have much of a scanner. also yea i was thinking about the white balance, i just need to remeber how to do that on photoshop X3.

also how do i turn the sensitivity thing on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2016 at 6:51 AM, Saxon said:

@AlastairSnowpaw I think that it's good you've decided to take up life drawing, because this is a good way to learn.

I think you would benefit from thinking about proportions. There are a few means of doing this; some artists hold their pencil at an arm's length and line it up with the model, to measure how many pencil-lengths a body part is, compared to another, for example. 

You might also try thinking about the shapes made between different parts of the model, such as the gaps between their limbs. If you try to make these shapes accurate, then you will constrain your drawing further, which makes the final result more realistic. 

I also think your drawing is A4? I think life drawing should be done on great big sheets of sugar paper, with big soft pencils and an easel. You should stand up while you're drawing, so that you may practice using your arm to draw, instead of your wrist. 

thanks for the advice and yea i have trouble with proportions, how would you recommend starting the proportions out? i tend to make 4 marks on the page to indicate where the farthest parts of the body are, this method doesn't seem to work well and need another method to start, do you have any recommendations?

also i tend to use drawing paper 9x12 is the specific pad i use for the drawing session, though they prolly have big paper to use there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Camera shake, camera shake, camera shake. 

These sketches do represent veritable improvement on your earlier sketches. At the moment you seem to be drawing abdomens slightly too thick and limbs slightly too thin. 

I'm having difficulty interpreting the black stripes. I presume they are shadows? Maybe a touch softer next time. 

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

Camera shake, camera shake, camera shake. 

These sketches do represent veritable improvement on your earlier sketches. At the moment you seem to be drawing abdomens slightly too thick and limbs slightly too thin. 

I'm having difficulty interpreting the black stripes. I presume they are shadows? Maybe a touch softer next time. 

yea they are, i sort of only half shadowed that picture without really putting grays in it.

• 1 month later...

So i haven't really been completing much stuff recently because I have been working on a big picture thing for a community art thing with a theme of cats.

Here's my most recent progress on the picture, I still have a bit to go to finish it but most of the pieces are in place.

catartmay1st.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...