The Benchmark Thread

AshleyAshes

So I'd mentioned in other thread with @Ves about comparing some benchmarks but I thought maybe we could just do a thread dedicated to this.  I'm sure someone here has some monster demon machine that'll get an amazing high score, but what I think would also be interesting is to see how well some other systems can perform.  Personally, when it comes to PC performance, I'm more interested in seeing 'how good' you can get out of much more reasonably priced hardware than 'how awesome' you can get out of spending a dump truck full of money on something.  I think we should share any of the relevant information on the systems being benched, any overclocks, and stuff like that, cause how else can we see how well a machine can perform without knowing it's specs?  And let's see what other benchmarks people come up, test our own machines with what they tested it and see how we compare.

So, I have a big mean workstation I could bench, but I'd rather show off my 'Console Killer, Built From Spare Parts'.  I'd like to do a dedicated thread on building 'effective' livingroom PCs out of spare/older/used parts but I've not gotten around to it yet.

SunsetShimmer is mostly my old college workstation that was retired when I went Intel Hex-Core.  When I bought a Radeon R9 390X, this machine had an HD 7950 hand-me downed to it and that has really made this machine into something that can readily go toe to toe with any corrent gaming consoles.  Since it's hooked up to my TV, that's great! :D  Maybe my desktop can run GTA5 BETTER, but this machine runs GTA5 on my TV where me and my friends pass the controller every time an egg timer counts down 5mins.

Intel i7 3770K Quad Core CPU.  An overclock of 4.4ghz available, it could go to 4.6 sometimes but it was juuuuust a bit unstable and I got woozy over the voltages to deal with that.  The 4.4ghz is what I used in all benchmarks.

XFX 'Black Edition' Radeon 7950.  Factory OC of 925ghz (Reference is 800mhz) but I managed to overclock it to 1070mhz without even changing the voltage.  Memory OCed to 1575mhz.  This chip has proven to have some serious legs, it's basically toe to toe with a modern Radeon R9 280, except that it lacks a few of the newer media features.

8GB RAM, 1333mhz.

Asuz P8Z77-V LE motherboard.

Seagate 5900 RPM 2TB 'Green' Hard Drive. (It was available)

All in all the only new parts purchased for this living room HTPC was a 3.5" bay USB3 bracket and some vented expansion slot covers for the rear.

Tomb Raider 'Ultimate' Graphics Setting:
Min FPS: 50.5
Max FPS: 93.4
Average FPS: 68.6

(Ahem, suck it PS4 and XBone re-releases. :V )

Cinebench R15 (This is a CPU benchmark):

3D Mark
Fire Strike: 7478
Sky Diver: 20591

Edited by AshleyAshes

Can see all about my build here

i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz

x2 HD7850 2gb in cfx

16gb 1333 ram

240gb ssd, 2 1tb hdd (really old)

I don't have Tomb Raider so I'll just post what shit I have

Unigine Heaven 4.0

Ultra Quality, Extreme Tessellation, x8AA, 1920x1080

Score: 1187

FPS: 47.1

Unigine Valley 1.0

Extreme HD preset, 8xAA, 1920x1080

Score: 2348

FPS: 56.1

GTA V 

Max settings with regular MSAA off, Advanced graphics settings all off. 

Avg Benchmark FPS: 57.478

As I was writing this I discovered my cpu wasn't overclocked anymore and has been set back down to 3.3GHz... no idea how long it's been like that. Also Vsync was on in GTA so I'll have to turn that off and try that again too

This is actually a good opportunity to test the effectiveness of overclocking a 2500k. I'll change it back to my normal clock settings and redo these tests. Downloading Cinebench 15 now

Edited by Ves

I looked around but there arent any easy methods to benchmark my Spartan Server which is the main in my Datacenter.

It has 2 Sockets, each socket has a quad core I7 series Xeon, 2.4Ghz, and 96 GB of RAM, but im upping the ram sometime soon.  It can hold 288 GB of ram.

It is also hyperthreaded so its got 16 logical processors/threads and its running VMware VSphere 5.5 with 6 SSDs, and 2 SAS Disks on its H700 Backplane, it also has 2 of the PCI-Express mounted SSDs in the back, a 480GB and a 240GB.

No real solid way to benchmark it tho.

15 hours ago, Ves said:

Unigine Heaven 4.0

Ultra Quality, Extreme Tessellation, x8AA, 1920x1080

Score: 1187

FPS: 47.1

Unigine Valley 1.0

Extreme HD preset, 8xAA, 1920x1080

Score: 2348

FPS: 56.1

GTA V 

Time to do this single card HD 7950!

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0, Extreme Preset Modified to 1920x1080 and Full Screen:

FPS: 36.3
Score 915

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0, Extreme HD Preset:

FPS: 43.9
Score 1835

Not bad for a single card, though I did expect it to lose to 2x7850s, I was more curious how close it'd get.

On 2/5/2016 at 0:49 AM, KryptoKroenen said:

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WYRmYJ

One of the Fury X's died on me recently, that's why there is only one in the picture below. When the Fury X2 comes out I will be replacing it with that. Benmarks? Pretty must constant 60+ FPS in any game at 4K with all settings maxed (get rekt). ;)

webcam-toy-photo1.jpg

59889648.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Augmented Husky said:

59889648.jpg

Thanks, it was a nightmare to build though... xD Initial motherboard was incompatible, then the GPU died, and then the computer had a habit of crashing ever 20 minutes...couldn't figure out why. I tried everything, EVERYTHING to fix it, and then I finally did what I should of done a long time ago, I reinstalled Windows. 4 days now and my PC has been running smoothly...all's well that ends well. :)

3 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Thanks, it was a nightmare to build though... xD Initial motherboard was incompatible, then the GPU died, and then the computer had a habit of crashing ever 20 minutes...couldn't figure out why. I tried everything, EVERYTHING to fix it, and then I finally did what I should of done a long time ago, I reinstalled Windows. 4 days now and my PC has been running smoothly...all's well that ends well. :)

For a $3500+ build even with a year and a half of building experience I would have easily panicked xD Funny how Intel loved to make new chip sockets that sometimes were only a 1 pin difference ¬¬ Even funnier when its the most straightforward solution that usually works LOL

16 minutes ago, Augmented Husky said:

For a $3500+ build even with a year and a half of building experience I would have easily panicked xD Funny how Intel loved to make new chip sockets that sometimes were only a 1 pin difference ¬¬ Even funnier when its the most straightforward solution that usually works LOL

Yeah I was panicking...was even thinking of just selling the whole thing and buying a GT80 laptop...I'm glad it's finally fixed though. :)

17 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

How about you benchmark it if you're going to post about it in the benchmark thread? ^^;;;;;;;  Because there's already a thread just for listing specs.

Yes definitely, I'll post a 3DMark Ultra test later, sorry about that. :) Was going to wait until the Fury X2 came out before I benchmarked anything...

On 2/3/2016 at 6:29 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Not bad for a single card, though I did expect it to lose to 2x7850s, I was more curious how close it'd get.

Not bad at all, especially for its age it held up better than I thought

On 2/2/2016 at 2:39 AM, Ves said:

GTA V 

As I was writing this I discovered my cpu wasn't overclocked anymore and has been set back down to 3.3GHz... no idea how long it's been like that. Also Vsync was on in GTA so I'll have to turn that off and try that again too

This is actually a good opportunity to test the effectiveness of overclocking a 2500k. I'll change it back to my normal clock settings and redo these tests. Downloading Cinebench 15 now

A follow up on this, at stock clocks my 2500k averages at about 67fps in the GTA V benchmark, same settings as before but Vsync off. OC'd to 4.4GHz, it averages at 75fps.

My first Cinebench run was also at stock clock speeds and scored 417. Decided to close Skype and it jumped up to 447. go figure

Then OCd to 4.4GHz, closed skype again and the score jumped way up to 572

57 minutes ago, Draconas said:

cinebench incorrectly reported my clock speeds, running at 4.5GHz

A lot of motherboards will only report the default clockspeed to the OS rather than the configured clockspeed.  All my Asus boards do it where as my Gigabyte ones didn't.  However it doesn't effect the overclock, it's just the string of data that the CPU is reporting to the OS, rather than the clockspeed it's actually running at.  If you used CPU-Z, it would show you the clockspeed it's currently running at, which may be as low as 800mhz if you're idle, but put it under load and it'll show you the clockspeed when it's running full tilt.

Edited by AshleyAshes