Lackadaisycats Vs. Blacksad!

Rabbit Head

Lackadaisy vs. Blacksad  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Lackadaisy or Blacksad, which is better?

• Blacksad
    • Lackadaisy

Blacksad and Lackadaisy. These two are up there among the greatest anthro/ furry comics ever created. Blacksad being one of the best printed comics, Lackadaisy being one of the best webcomics. Blacksad's traditional ink and water colors vs. Lackadaisy's pencils and digital process coloring/ effects.

If you have read both, (good for you!) and discuss which one you think to be the superior comic. 

If you haven't read one of these two or either of them, you're missing out and I highly recommend them both. They're great reads.

Let's give an example of both: 

Lackadaisy:

1435660082.thumb.jpg.81139a3370c1eeedd51

Blacksad:

2_02.thumb.jpg.6ceef4814be4d78c85be83d16

Lackadaisy's actually being printed in my country (and I think in France as well?) but the author is so slow that we still only got the first volume, published back in 2007-8 xP But yeah, it isn't a web exclusive anymore.

Having read both, I can say it's difficult to pick up a favourite as they have a lot of complementary elements (digital VS traditional as you said, but also the time period is different and how the anthro forms are developed). At first thought I'd pick up Lackadaisy as I grew much more affictionate to its characters, but with the slow updates it's difficult to keep up with the story; at least Blacksad gets published in full volumes, so you can read it in one sitting.

On 3/21/2016 at 3:08 AM, Valery91Thunder said:

Lackadaisy's actually being printed in my country (and I think in France as well?) but the author is so slow that we still only got the first volume, published back in 2007-8 xP But yeah, it isn't a web exclusive anymore.

Having read both, I can say it's difficult to pick up a favourite as they have a lot of complementary elements (digital VS traditional as you said, but also the time period is different and how the anthro forms are developed). At first thought I'd pick up Lackadaisy as I grew much more affectionate to its characters, but with the slow updates it's difficult to keep up with the story; at least Blacksad gets published in full volumes, so you can read it in one sitting.

Wait, there are printed volumes? I could've had Lackadaisy constantly available on my shelf this WHOLE time? Goddamn...

Having read both, I can say it's difficult to pick up a favourite as they have a lot of complementary elements (digital VS traditional as you said, but also the time period is different and how the anthro forms are developed).

yeah, Lackadaisy is all cats while Blacksad is basically Zootopia for adults.So, does that mean blacksad gets a plus for character design? 

At first thought I'd pick up Lackadaisy as I grew much more affectionate to its characters, but with the slow updates it's difficult to keep up with the story; at least Blacksad gets published in full volumes, so you can read it in one sitting.

Pretty sure civilizations have risen and fallen in between lackadaisy updates. The slow updates really do lessen the impact of any of the twists and turns the story has. Best to wait a LONG while, and then catch up to get the full effect, but who has that self control? 

4 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

Wait, there are printed volumes? I could've had Lackadaisy constantly available on my shelf this WHOLE time? Goddamn...

yeah, Lackadaisy is all cats while Blacksad is basically Zootopia for adults.So, does that mean blacksad gets a plus for character design?

Pretty sure civilizations have risen and fallen in between lackadaisy updates. The slow updates really do lessen the impact of any of the twists and turns the story has. Best to wait a LONG while, and then catch up to get the full effect, but who has that self control? 

Why, it's a nifty lil' thing! The plot stops right after Freckle goes berserk with the guns for his first time (so yeah, it's still at the beginning of the story more or less...), then the rest is filled with concept art and extra comics. The only downside (if you're a tidyness maniac like me xP) is its size, short and large, which makes it stick out of the shelf compared to the rest of the comics. But then again, I don't even have many comics...

b5j33t4.jpg

Yeah, Lackadaisy is all cats while Blacksad is basically Zootopia for adults.So, does that mean blacksad gets a plus for character design?

It has more variety, yes, but Zootopia is very far from being at 'Sad's level. The totally humanoid body and the lack of tail (opposed to the wonky funny animal body and the presence of tail for Zootopians) make me think of Blacksad being much more closer to Spiegelman's MAUS (hey, that one's pretty awesome as well!).

What I do whenever I see a new page online is to go back and read it as well as its last, say, 6 or 7 pages, just to remember what was going on before that.

And to think the author certainly has enough material for a second printed volume, I'm starting to think her contract with Renoir Comics has expired...

I've read both and its an easy choice for me.

Blacksad. Definitely.

The art overall is gorgeous and the art style of the character's expressions in Blacksad appeals to me far more than the chibi, toony look of Lackadaisy. Story wise they're both middling for me, but I enjoy the crime noir theme of Blacksad just a bit more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 7:41 AM, GarthTheWereWolf said:

I've read both and its an easy choice for me.

Blacksad. Definitely.

The art overall is gorgeous and the art style of the character's expressions in Blacksad appeals to me far more than the chibi, toony look of Lackadaisy. Story wise they're both middling for me, but I enjoy the crime noir theme of Blacksad just a bit more.

Finally, a definitive choice.

The titans are changing blows, now...