16 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Not pedophiles, but child molesters.

Reputation of pedophiles, because of the child molesters.

To be honest, I usually just use pedophile as an umbrella term since it is most commonly used this way.

You are right that it's the wrong use of the word, I just hate bringing up that argument ad ad nauseam.

3 hours ago, Ricky said:

Reputation of pedophiles, because of the child molesters.

To be honest, I usually just use pedophile as an umbrella term since it is most commonly used this way.

You are right that it's the wrong use of the word, I just hate bringing up that argument ad ad nauseam.

Im guilty myself but I know the difference

Pedos, yes. Given the circumnstance and how they handle it

No sympathy for child rapists though

On 5/31/2016 at 5:12 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

People like that are something you have to be wary of, and as a sad result you cant trust good people you dont know

Except there is the fact that children are more likely to be abused by someone they know and trust then they are to be hurt by a stranger.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Except there is the fact that children are more likely to be abused by someone they know and trust then they are to be hurt by a stranger.

Usually its because a parent open up trust too quickly to another adult (such as an uncle/aunt, friend, boy/girlfriend, babysitter) and dont pay attention to signs that their child is being taken advantage of, simply because they want to turn a blind eye and not see the person as a bad person, or they simply dont have the attention, time, and energy to care for their kid so they leave it in someone elses hands

38 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Usually its because a parent open up trust too quickly to another adult (such as an uncle/aunt, friend, boy/girlfriend, babysitter) and dont pay attention to signs that their child is being taken advantage of, simply because they want to turn a blind eye and not see the person as a bad person, or they simply dont have the attention, time, and energy to care for their kid so they leave it in someone elses hands

eh, yes and no. It's not really the parents being quick to trust people, but trust is a reason why a person the child knows is more likely to hurt them than a stranger.  they know it's not a good thing, but they're more willing to go along with it because of familiarity. there's a bunch of other reasons too

though it really doesn't have a lot to do with how much time and energy the parents have, in most cases the signs of abuse aren't exactly apparent until months, if not years, later 

2 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

So, your point is people *should* respond to sensational topics with emotion and not rationality?

You are pointing out the obvious but I don't see any relevance to the quote, at all.

3 hours ago, Ricky said:

So, your point is people *should* respond to sensational topics with emotion and not rationality?

You are pointing out the obvious but I don't see any relevance to the quote, at all.

Except its not obvious and I am in fact arguing that people should not respond with emotion.

Too often, in American society at least, do we tell our children about "stranger danger" and also we tend to respond to stories in news about cases of child abuse by strangers more strongly then we respond to cases where it is performed by a trusted family member.

What I am arguing for is that we need to be aware of the facts and act in accordance with reality if we truly desire to protect children from abuse.  Step one in preventing child abuse is accurately identifying what factors put children at most risk and I was pointing out that attempting to instill a fear of strangers into children will not prevent the majority of cases of child abuse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Except its not obvious and I am in fact arguing that people should not respond with emotion.

Too often, in American society at least, do we tell our children about "stranger danger" and also we tend to respond to stories in news about cases of child abuse by strangers more strongly then we respond to cases where it is performed by a trusted family member.

What I am arguing for is that we need to be aware of the facts and act in accordance with reality if we truly desire to protect children from abuse.  Step one in preventing child abuse is accurately identifying what factors put children at most risk and I was pointing out that attempting to instill a fear of strangers into children will not prevent the majority of cases of child abuse.

OIC... Yeah, I misinterpreted what you were saying then.

That's a good point and to be completely honest I think instilling fear about strangers can really do more harm than good.

Fear is a weakness. Instead of instilling a weakness in your child, teach them to use their mouth and not a be a dumbass.

• Like 1

Not so much fear strangers but act with common sense and pay attention, dont put yourself in a dangerous situation where a stranger could take advantage of you easily. Thats why you would teach children to say hi in public but not to follow a stranger somewhere alone...stuff like that if an example is needed

As for @willow's response, yeah I hadnt meant to assume all parents who have children abused unknowingly are neglectful, I was mostly referring to certain cases as such. Mostly because in a lot of cases there are ways to prevent a bad situation

Outside of that its sad that people you thought you could trust turn out to do harmful actions