Post count still at Zero?

Nolow

I honestly never seen the need to "hide" count from specific forums. Honestly it is lying at best and only really benefits those who seek need to control the numbers. :P

It doesn't bother me that much either way. I just find it interesting about those who care too much about their own counts or people caring too much about others. The only problem is when spam happens but it can be treated on a user basis. In any case I wondered for a bit too but figured it out after like 10 minutes but thanks for telling us. :)

You know, thinking about it, I don't see why the introduction forum doesn't add to your post count. It's literally one of the first places we post and the lack of foot print my very first thread on this site made is pretty much the reason I made this thread questioning if I had missed something.

The first few replies you get in the introduction forum is what brings people into the community. Why sweep that under the table?

The first few replies you get in the introduction forum is what brings people into the community. Why sweep that under the table?

Because people will artificially increase their post count with "Hi!" or "Welcome [furname_here]" posts.

Which can be problematic when the forum is set up to unlock additional features as post count increases; even if they are just Easter eggs.

• Like 1

Because people will artificially increase their post count with "Hi!" or "Welcome [furname_here]" posts.

Which can be problematic when the forum is set up to unlock additional features as post count increases; even if they are just Easter eggs.

I don't see how that's artificial, especially to the newbie being welcomed into the community. Post count has no influence over social standing or administrative power. If someone's only input on the forums is to say "hi" to every new person that joins then good for them. They are no more above or below the person who only comments occasionally. I understand the block on Forum games because it's so easy to spam posts and be involved there. But you only get to introduce yourself once, why not make it mean something. To both you and for the people willing to take time out of there day to greet others who join?

As for the act of farming points, kind of irralevant if you have 3,000+ post and your community reputation is practically Zero. 

It is a bit Facebook-ish which can be a turn-off for some who hate that type of site (I merely stay away because it is mindless friend farming for the sake of mindless friend farming), but I also don't mind the idea. And since likes are limited per day, someone cannot spam them on their best friend and like every post. (weird when it offers to like a post about someone's family member or pet dying...)

If anything, the most important factor I think is for content driven rep (good content being rewarded) and just completely ignore posts meaning anything more or less short of "hey I posted this many times, cool". Likes are at least a bit more clear on whether or not someone is speaking to a crowd versus speaking into a brick wall. :P

But we all know how speaking into a brick wall is like, huh? ;)

Edit: One feature which could be good is the ability for staff to uncount a post's postcount status if it is spammy. That is if we're really wanting to go the route of post count meaning X status. Under this, I would have someone check introductions and only dock those who make simple "hi" or "welcome" posts with little content. But my truly honest opinion is that I would rather personally as someone "new" see someone say "hi" versus nothing at all.

Forum games are more understandable about just leaving it out, but again I lean towards allowing all to count or at least "allow X amount to count within the first 6 hours" which means posts may count but only if you don't spam them so often. I doubt this board has that feature but not counting forum games posts after they reach a barrier will perhaps encourage them to maintain more quality games? Simply throwing out random ideas as alternatives. Again, I am fine with how it is now relating Forum Games but do feel that it really shouldn't matter all that much. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Scrydan
  • Like 1