How to fix nappy fur on suits (and plushies)

So, I don't know where else to post this, but I thought it would be helpful for people who need to clean a suit or a plushy or anything like that.

First, defining nappy.

Nappy fur is fur that's clumped up together, like so:

Selection_004.png.50b63d92de2ee3e05ae7f665bfb11dfa.png

This is common on synthetic furs made of this material. As it gets used more and gets older, it tends to get clumped up like this, producing an unsightly look. However, it's very easy to fix!

In order to fix this issue, you will need:

• 1 comb (fine tooth preferred)
  • Warm, soapy water (for cleaning)
  • 1 fine bristle hairbrush (optional)

To start, you'll need to wash the fur. Do so by cleaning it with the soapy water mixture. You can do this with your hands or use a tool like a toothbrush. Once it is clean, wash the soap out of the fur THOROUGHLY. Leaving soap on the fur will make it scummy later on. You can gently squeeze the fur to make sure all of the soap is gone.

Next, pat the fur with a towel until it's no longer sopping wet, only damp. It's important to do this while the fur is damp so that it will stay untangled when it dries.

Now, take your comb and gently brush back and forth through the fur sideways. This detangles and denaps the fur. Be gentle so that you don't damage it or make holes. This technique is called "currying".

After you're done with this, I recommend brushing through once more with a fine bristle hairbrush. This is only personal preference, but I believe it makes the fur softer.

This is how the fur should look after the process:

Selection_005.png.1f9bce97c1fc84a23caddd39676b195c.png

See the difference?

Selection_004.png.50b63d92de2ee3e05ae7f665bfb11dfa.pngSelection_005.png.1f9bce97c1fc84a23caddd39676b195c.png

The difference is huge. Hopefully this guide helps anybody who has to clean a fursuit or plushy.