Digimon!

sushy

New Digimon Story game SOON

I dunno if I'd say I'm a Digimon fan as I've never really sunk my teeth into it, but I love what I've seen of the series and the Cyber Sleuth games look awesome. 

Gonna watch Digimon Tamers and play thsg game someday. I love that Suzuhito Yasuda does the art for the Digimon Story titles. 

On 12/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, TrishaCat said:

New Digimon Story game SOON

I dunno if I'd say I'm a Digimon fan as I've never really sunk my teeth into it, but I love what I've seen of the series and the Cyber Sleuth games look awesome. 

Gonna watch Digimon Tamers and play thsg game someday. I love that Suzuhito Yasuda does the art for the Digimon Story titles. 

Tamers is bad.

^

|

Tamers isn't bad. It's that Gawdawful English dub that's bad... very bad. Here's one example from Tamers #3. This is the scene where Takato and Guilmon are in the park, and meet Ruki Makino for the first time.

Ruki: "I want Renamon to fight and win!" -- Japanese version

Ruki: "Renamon wants to battle!" -- English dub

There is one helluva difference here that affects the whole development of both characters. In the Japanese version, Ruki is a selfish little bitch who forces her partner into fights she doesn't want, but feels trapped into doing it because the humans hold the key to evolution. For whatever reason, the English dub inverts this, and renders Ruki's future redemption confusing at best.

The English version does the same thing in the final episode. As the digimon are leaving;

Jen Lee: "Dad... you knew this would happen, but you still..."

Janyu Lee: "I'm really sorry. I've done something unforgivable"

Well, no he didn't. The digimon had to leave because Goru "Shibumi" Mizuno screwed up. Shibumi was one of Janyu's Wild Bunch colleagues. Being such, he feels just as responsible because he was on the same team. The Japanese ethos. After the digimon are gone, Jen looks back at his father while shaking his head. His father drops to the ground to weep tears of relief and joy. His son has forgiven him.

English version:

Henry: "You knew didn't you? You knew this would happen when you scanned Terriermon" (Had absolutely nothing to do with scanning Terriermon.)

Lee: "I had no other choice. The fate of the world was at stake. I couldn't let everything and everyone we love be destroyed"

Here, Lee's attitude is basically: "Fuck you son. I did what I had to do"

In the English version, the head  shake has the opposite attitude: "No, it won't get better and I don't forgive you"

The differences are that in the Japanese ethos you are equally responsible for your colleagues' successes and failures. The American ethos is one of CYA at all times. If you screw up, make sure someone else gets blamed. If you do something good, take all the credit. Given this, there is no way an American audience can make sense of the conclusion of Tamers. This isn't the fault of the series, but of the incompetent translation into English.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 2:28 AM, Simo said:

^

|

Tamers isn't bad. It's that Gawdawful English dub that's bad... very bad. Here's one example from Tamers #3. This is the scene where Takato and Guilmon are in the park, and meet Ruki Makino for the first time.

Ruki: "I want Renamon to fight and win!" -- Japanese version

Ruki: "Renamon wants to battle!" -- English dub

There is one helluva difference here that affects the whole development of both characters. In the Japanese version, Ruki is a selfish little bitch who forces her partner into fights she doesn't want, but feels trapped into doing it because the humans hold the key to evolution. For whatever reason, the English dub inverts this, and renders Ruki's future redemption confusing at best.

The English version does the same thing in the final episode. As the digimon are leaving;

Jen Lee: "Dad... you knew this would happen, but you still..."

Janyu Lee: "I'm really sorry. I've done something unforgivable"

Well, no he didn't. The digimon had to leave because Goru "Shibumi" Mizuno screwed up. Shibumi was one of Janyu's Wild Bunch colleagues. Being such, he feels just as responsible because he was on the same team. The Japanese ethos. After the digimon are gone, Jen looks back at his father while shaking his head. His father drops to the ground to weep tears of relief and joy. His son has forgiven him.

English version:

Henry: "You knew didn't you? You knew this would happen when you scanned Terriermon" (Had absolutely nothing to do with scanning Terriermon.)

Lee: "I had no other choice. The fate of the world was at stake. I couldn't let everything and everyone we love be destroyed"

Here, Lee's attitude is basically: "Fuck you son. I did what I had to do"

In the English version, the head  shake has the opposite attitude: "No, it won't get better and I don't forgive you"

The differences are that in the Japanese ethos you are equally responsible for your colleagues' successes and failures. The American ethos is one of CYA at all times. If you screw up, make sure someone else gets blamed. If you do something good, take all the credit. Given this, there is no way an American audience can make sense of the conclusion of Tamers. This isn't the fault of the series, but of the incompetent translation into English.

I know this whole post is copy and paste, Sheesh, Tamer fans are so weird.