Hardware Help

MRatlas

So i was wondering if anyone has experience installing a second processor and video card into a desktop. But this is what i have right now as far as I know it can support it I just have no idea about anything more then the knowledge that the OS (windows xp pro) and chip set support it but here is what I have http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/precision-690/pd just with 12 GB of RAM. Any help is greatly appreciated:D  

Wow, that's an ACTUAL older 5000X chipset dual socket workstation from Dell.  I was prepaired to say 'Only Xeon workstations can do multiple processors' but that really IS a system that can do it. O.o

The problem here is that the link does NOT give us enough information.  The Dell Precision 690 has MANY possible configurations and the page doesn't even state which CPU(s) your particular machine has installed.  We need a lot more information on your machine before helping.  However, I am surprised that it doesn't ALREADY have two CPUs in it, it seems strange for any SKU of a dual socket desktop model to ship with only one socket occupied.

Your OS (XP Pro) is not going to see 12GB RAM unless it's the 64-bit version (very unusual to find, as it was more of a demo OS than anything.)

*pretends to NOT be paid to maintain a render farm, half of the blades of which run XP Pro x64* >_>;;;;;

But he MUST mean x64 Pro.  I mean, it's a Dell, so it should have shipped with an OS, and why would Dell ship a dual socket workstation with more than 4GB of RAM with 32bit XP?  That would ALSO be strange.

Edited by AshleyAshes

Also, let me note something - you're looking at a 2006/2007 generation system. Single-core performance is going to be way down there versus modern desktop procs now days, even laptops have far more power. You might have some better luck if the programs are optimized well enough to handle multiple cores and being spread across two physical sockets, but it's still just a lower-end Core 2 Duo chip, it's getting on its last legs as far as modern stuff goes.

If you consider cost, one could max out a 5000X system for pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5450-SLANQ-3-0GHz-12MB-1333MHz-Quad-Core-Server-CPU-SLBBE-SLASB-/161734851240?hash=item25a825faa8

Dualy 3.0ghz 12mb quad core harper towns for $36 USD, free shipping would be no laughing matter and the price point would beat out any call for new hardware.

That's like literally the server version of my current processor, the E7500. While a good deal, this is quickly becoming the new Pentium 4, so to speak.

Sixty-Four Bux For A Pair.

I mean sure, he can build a new machine, but that means a larger investment in money.  If he wants to upgrade that thing, an 8 core 3.0ghz machine will not EXACTLY be a piece of crap.  I feel like you're being snobbish and pushing an agenda of an entirely new purchase when the OP didn't ask for that.

The problem here is that the link does NOT give us enough information.  The Dell Precision 690 has MANY possible configurations and the page doesn't even state which CPU(s) your particular machine has installed.

So thanks for the help so far, So as for the CPU its like a dual core 3 GHz xeon sadly I wont have access to my desktop till later today. But its a quadro FX 4600 http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_fx_5600_4600.html(thinking about replacing it altogether or buy another and sli them). But as for the sockets they operate at 1066MHz to 1333MHz.

Wow, that's an ACTUAL older 5000X chipset dual socket workstation from Dell.  I was prepaired to say 'Only Xeon workstations can do multiple processors' but that really IS a system that can do it. O.o

However, I am surprised that it doesn't ALREADY have two CPUs in it, it seems strange for any SKU of a dual socket desktop model to ship with only one socket occupied.

Well i guess this is what i get for a free mystery computer, well they also took out certain parts because the company  buys new ones so certain things were removed like the hard drive  and a new one put in so thats probobly were the other processor may have gone if it had 2 in it to start

Edited by MRatlas

So the first questions are:

What are you trying to do here?  Trying to get this machine cooking on a limited budget?  If so, what's you're budget?

What Operating System does it run?  If you can figure out if you have Windows XP or Windows XP x64, that'd be super.  However, for hardware and game compatibility, moving to Windows 7 or higher could be a good idea.  Are you going to post secondary education?  A lot of schools give out like DUMPTRUCKS of free software to students that few students take advantage of.  There's also 'other means' of getting software. >_>

What's the goal for the machine?  Just general, casual gaming and general purpose computing, or trying to play AAA games on max settings?

As for how to put the parts it, ignore any instructions people could give you by text: Hit up YouTube.  There are lots of tech blogs and tech sites that give step by step video instructions on how to install parts.  Having a real visual of something going in, being able to watch, rewind, pause, and watch again, will likely show you how to do it ten times better than some instructions by text.

As far as what i  want to do with it is be able to play games with some friends because my laptop is absolute rubbish for just about everything so it would be nice to finally run some midly complex non 2d games and use it for just general school work