Maybe not panic attacks?

MissFleece

I'm starting to think these aren't panic attacks at all...I don't really feel PANIC, I just feel super off, anxious, my chest feels heavy, and then I have like...a sobbing attack. just uncontrollable sobbing. Sometimes it's really hard to breath and I hyperventilate, but I don't think it's a panic attack? I get irritable usually too, on days I have them, and after I get very mood swingy. Idk but I wish they'd stop...

Hank(my dog) could tell I was going to have one before I did, and I'm not sure what that means. Dogs alert to panic attacks and crying too, but he knew before I felt it. It hits me like a brick wall though, like I literally have to lay down or I will be blinded with tears and all my energy goes into crying. Maybe it's related to a brain thing, like a seizure or something? 

And I've always been a quiet crier! I've never shrieked or sobbed loudly since I was really little! And now I can't stop myself. I don't know what's happening, but they're scary as fuck and I HATE THEM.

2 minutes ago, Onnes said:

Does your heart rate significantly increase, in particular with a feeling of palpitation? I usually consider that to be one of the better markers of a true panic attack, or at least something that is a close mimic.

Nah it doesn't. I had my mother check my heart rate while I had one and she said there was no change, it was even a normal heart beat, no increase at all. In my head though, my chest felt funny. However, I don't think any palpations occurred either. 

7 minutes ago, MissFleece said:

Nah it doesn't. I had my mother check my heart rate while I had one and she said there was no change, it was even a normal heart beat, no increase at all. In my head though, my chest felt funny. However, I don't think any palpations occurred either. 

Well on the plus side then, you probably don't have many worries about heart issues.

You should look at a list of the typical symptoms, particularly the physical ones, and see how many fit. I believe that link is basically following the current diagnostic criteria. The increased heart rate isn't necessary, it's just common. That site also lists some of the usual things that look like panic attacks.

• Like 1

I looked up "uncontrollable sobbing" and this is what I got... (lol all the linking stuff is broken right now, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudobulbar_affect

It says it's a rare condition, so I don't think I have it. I'll see if I can't get into a doctor to be sure, since it sounds like if that IS it, there's medication for it that works, but I know from my mom's visit it wont be covered by insurance and I'm going to be billed out the ass. 

39 minutes ago, MissFleece said:

I looked up "uncontrollable sobbing" and this is what I got... (lol all the linking stuff is broken right now, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudobulbar_affect

It says it's a rare condition, so I don't think I have it. I'll see if I can't get into a doctor to be sure, since it sounds like if that IS it, there's medication for it that works, but I know from my mom's visit it wont be covered by insurance and I'm going to be billed out the ass. 

I'd recommend not worrying about the more unlikely conditions until you've largely ruled out the likely ones. That's what a psychiatrist is good for (other than drugs). They would ideally have fairly deep knowledge of the possible diagnoses, their likelihood, and how to distinguish between them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onnes said:

I'd recommend not worrying about the more unlikely conditions until you've largely ruled out the likely ones. That's what a psychiatrist is good for (other than drugs). They would ideally have fairly deep knowledge of the possible diagnoses, their likelihood, and how to distinguish between them.

^^; thank you for the solid advice. 

I've experienced similar things.

For me, it was old emotions bubbling up to the surface, triggered by current circumstances that mirror the original bullshit I felt but wouldn't validate ('cause it was "wrong" to feel that way). It feels as intense as it did when I was a kid. 

Next time you see your dog preempting that shit just take some time by yourself and sit with your feelings. Just take it as a sign from the universe that it's time to go inside and deal with the chaos in there. You have permission to feel and cry as intensely as you need to; don't hold your emotional body to other people's expectations of how you "should" feel, they weren't there feeling it. 

• Like 1