My Movie Studio 13 issue

Lucyfish

So people wanted to know what my issue with Movie Studio 13 was. Here's the basic summary.

I can open the program just fine, everything looks to be in working order. But as soon as I import any form of media, place it in the editing tray, and try to hit "Play," the entire program freezes up and I get a window that says "Program has stopped responding."

I've run the program in administrator mode, compatibility mode, and resent all the preferences and still it crashes when I hit "Play." I have no fucking clue what to do because there is no error code.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

What KIND of media?  Have you tried other formats of files?  Maybe it's a compatibility issue with with you're ingesting, maybe conversion to an intermediate format would solve the issue.

It's just an MP4. If the program can't play an MP4 it can't even rightfully be called a video editing program.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

It's just an MP4. If the program can't play an MP4 it can't even rightfully be called a video editing program.

MP4 is actually just a container format, mainly for, obviously, MPEG-4 video, but it can hold different KINDS of MPEG video and a range of audio formats, there could be a compatibility issue there.  What's the source of the media?  Camera?  Capture device?  'Other Places'?

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

MP4 is actually just a container format, mainly for, obviously, MPEG-4 video, but it can hold different KINDS of MPEG video and a range of audio formats, there could be a compatibility issue there.  What's the source of the media?  Camera?  Capture device?  'Other Places'?

It's from an NVENC capture device.

5 minutes ago, george99g said:

Have you tried looking at the event log to see if it has an error code there?
There's an explanation on how to do that here.

I'm on W10 so unfortunately that how-to doesn't work for me.

My first suggestion would be to try a different media file, let's see if it's compatibility with the file out of that program or all media.  I would NOT suggest you use a pirated download, MKV containers have really poor, if ANY support in media editors.  But do you have a phone?  Shoot a video of like, your ceiling for 30 seconds, and see how that file works, then report your results?

Just now, george99g said:

You should be able to open it in Windows 10 by pressing Windows+R to open the Run dialog, then entering eventvwr.

It's a completely different event viewer. Doesn't have the same tabs or anything.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

My first suggestion would be to try a different media file, let's see if it's compatibility with the file out of that program or all media.  I would NOT suggest you use a pirated download, MKV containers have really poor, if ANY support in media editors.  But do you have a phone?  Shoot a video of like, your ceiling for 30 seconds, and see how that file works, then report your results?

It doesn't work for .WAV files either. Literally no media wants to play.

Okay, here's the event log.

The program MovieStudioPlatinum130.exe version 13.0.0.955 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 2054
 Start Time: 01d1442836625f74
 Termination Time: 46
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Sony\Movie Studio Platinum 13.0\MovieStudioPlatinum130.exe
 Report Id: b1fa7890-b01b-11e5-82ab-fcaa1488912b
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=465320960  A bit of a whim, maybe maybe it's all this hardware accelerated playback this thing is talking about?  Also, neat, you can get the program on Steam

Already have GPU acceleration turned off. :c

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Give a small tutorial on how to do so for my tiny dumb fish brain?

Press Win+R, type in cmd.exe, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Sony\Movie Studio Platinum 13.0\" into the command prompt, then type in MovieStudioPlatinum130.exe
It should start the program and show any output in the command prompt.

4 minutes ago, george99g said:

Press Win+R, type in cmd.exe, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Sony\Movie Studio Platinum 13.0\" into the command prompt, then type in MovieStudioPlatinum130.exe
It should start the program and show any output in the command prompt.

Giving me an error saying "C:\Program is not recognized as an internal or external command"

NVM I'm dumb, hold please.

Edited by Lucyfish

The command you should type in should be <cd "C:\Program Files\Sony\Movie Studio Platinum 13.0\">, without the < and >.
The quotes are there because the directory contains a space and cd is the command to change the directory.
Missing those will end in an error.