Hyper Light Drifter

TrishaCat

I've been hyped for this game for some time, and after numerous delays its finally getting released on the 31st. Anyone heard of it? Admittedly I don't know a whole lot, but based on the music, art, and trailers, I believe this is a scifi action adventure game with a heavy emphasis on setting up a sort of lonely and sad atmosphere where you explore the ruins of a once great civilization to discover lost technologies and other information. It had a Kickstarter several years ago and it was funded successfully and now its finally coming out:

Edited by Battlechili

Having played this game a good bit now, I really like it. Its sort of like a scifi 2D Zelda game, but with faster-paced combat and significantly harder. You can't take many hits and have to get good at dodging in order to last long. You typically respawn fairly close to where you last left off so dying isn't too much of a big deal, making the game challenging but not unfair or cruel. There isn't so much dungeons as there is just trying to get to the next boss, but its a challenge to travel as well.

I like the visual aesthetics of this game; the neon colors blend together well and make the game pleasant to look at, and the pixelart at least seems somewhat competently detailed. The music is fairly atmospheric and fits the game well, helping to give it a lonely, dire atmosphere, but this applies to the boss battles as well where the music just gets louder and more violent sounding. I get that the game is trying to be very atmospheric, but I'd love it if at least boss battles got hype and memorable tracks.

The game seems to be much more easily playable with a controller than a keyboard and mouse in my opinion, but keyboard and mouse is servicable. The main problem is that I can't get used to the fact that I have to point my mouse cursor in the direction I want to attack or dash. So I've been sticking with a controller. My controller is a tad busted up though, and for some reason the game keeps thinking I'm pressing L3 sometimes which makes me do stuff I don't want to do and causes me to die sometimes. Its annoying, but infrequent, so I can live with it. I just wish the game didn't register that button; L3 is completely useless since all other buttons do everything you need to.

EDIT: Regarding the story, I can't tell what its about. The game has no dialogue in it at all, and seems to push a strong show, don't tell policy. I think that's kind of neat, but it also makes the game really obtuse at times.

Edited by Battlechili