Assassin's Creed

Kaedal

Yes, I know. Rehashed, milked, and overhyped. But god damn I'm a massive fanboy of this stupid series, ever since I played the original. I didn't even like the first Assassin's Creed all that much, but the sequel really got things going. And now I've picked up pretty much every damn Assassin's Creed game I could. Of course there have been blunders. AC3 was terrible at launch, and Unity is still an unplayable mess on PC.

Am I going to get Syndicate? I'm not sure yet. I did play Rogue, and it was fantastic, so I'm kind of hoping that Ubisoft can learn what they did right with that one, and what they did wrong with Unity.

Edited by Kaedal

It's a terrible franchise and I get nausea after seeing the title.

Assasin's Creed wasn't great, because of repetitiveness, but was decent especially because it was something fresh. Completed the game 100%

Assasin's Creed II was great. Enjoyable and fresh. Completed the game 100%

Brotherhood was a clone of AC II. Playable, but dull. Quit at 80%

Revelation was a clone of a clone, being terrible. Quit after one hour

AC III was another clone just in a different setting. Quit after one hour

Black Flag brought something fresh by introducing ships... Which lasted for 12 hours, after which I quit.

Unity: Quit after two hours

Rogue: Quit after one hour

I see no difference between Assasin's Creed and Call of Duty.

Same game on and on and on again. Heavy necrophilia.

• Like 1

I'm getting Syndicate. Already Pre-ordered mine cuz steelbook editiion over here. 

I also got every assassin's creed game since playing brotherhood and I also didnt like the first one. I never liked black flag and 3 cuz i never got used to tha damn pirating and shit.

I need to give AC3 another chance. Last I played it, my experience was hindered by the fact it had shitty SLi support. I've since then ditched my 580s and gotten a single card, so that should no longer be a problem.

I'm still uncertain about Syndicate. My concern is primarily with whether they fix the problems that Unity had.

Are you really buying things from Ubisoft?

Yes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Big fan of the series for some reason. Probably the historical settings. I've played all of them including most of the spinoffs except Unity. And I've preordered Syndicate although only because it came with my graphics card. 

It's a terrible franchise and I get nausea after seeing the title.

Assasin's Creed wasn't great, because of repetitiveness, but was decent especially because it was something fresh. Completed the game 100%

I don't think it's as terrible as some other franchises myself. I liked AC1 mostly for it's historical setting and I didn't mind it's repetition. I see the entire series mostly as being repetitive but with each game finding new ways to disguise it. 

Assasin's Creed II was great. Enjoyable and fresh. Completed the game 100%

I agree here

Brotherhood was a clone of AC II. Playable, but dull. Quit at 80%

Didn't mind Brotherhood that much personally. Very much enjoyed the gameplay, especially the VR missions. The story was a bit too rehashy for my taste though

Revelation was a clone of a clone, being terrible. Quit after one hour

Revelations was extraordinarily dull. That was it's problem. 

AC III was another clone just in a different setting. Quit after one hour

AC3 was significantly more innovative (or well taking things from other franchises at least) than you give it credit for. It added hunting from Red Dead Redemption, parlor games from Fable, sailing was first introduced in it (although it wasn't a core mechanic and was arguably more of a minigame you were forced to do during missions) and there were legitimately good aspects to it. Like I overly enjoyed how the player builds up his homestead. You recruit Assassin's throughout the world (some of which you encounter through the story, one of which appeared during the opera segment at the very start of the game) and after a while the place builds up until it resembles a whole community of people. That was a good aspect to it I really liked.

The rest was really bad. Like it has a 3 hour tutorial where you don't even play as the main protagonist until the first 2 hours, and he doesn't become an Assassin until an hour later. After that the game gets noticeably better but it's a huge slog getting through the beginning. The storyline itself isn't much better and the much touted American Revolutionary war battles were overly scripted and uninteresting. The protagonist Connor himself was also really uninteresting compared to Ezio and even Altair at times. 

Also the trilogy of "Tyranny of King Washington" DLCs were straight up better than the vanilla game. I'm not even joking.

Black Flag brought something fresh by introducing ships... Which lasted for 12 hours, after which I quit.

Absolutely loved Black Flag myself. I loved that it had lots of detail to it that made doing the sidequests worthwhile. Like the naval battles were great but I especially liked how there were legitimate boss encounters. Like at each of the four corners of the map was a secret boss that was super powerful and had some unique advantage over the player. And you got a reward for completing all of them. And my favorite aspect of this was how the game didn't even tell you about it ingame unless you sailed close to one. I also loved how you could collect sea shanties and how there were a large amount of them. The protagonist Edward felt much less self righteous than previous protagonists and I actually found myself beating the game and not skipping the cutscenes like I did in 3. 

Unity: Quit after two hours

Never played Unity myself. No interest in it. I heard they didn't take advantage of the French Revolution setting very well.

Rogue: Quit after one hour

I liked Rogue because of how much more morally ambiguous it was. Like I was surprised how relatable the main character was towards the middle of the game when you become a Templar, And how unrelatable the Assassin's were due to their very extremist positions. It actually made me start to view different events in previous games in a different way. 

I see no difference between Assasin's Creed and Call of Duty.

I don't necessarily disagree with this statement, but only because of the yearly releases. It's really shot Ubisoft in the foot too many times. A big reason Assassin's Creed 2 was so good was because the development team had a full 2 years to make it. By comparison Assassin's Creed 3 was on a completely different engine and used completely different assets and animations and it only had 1. 

Edited by AnotherWizard

I just got syndicate. I got the rooks edition and I'm really loving the box. Came with a steel book too. Right now I'm preferring Jacob over evie. Rope launcher is totally awesome. Climbing isn't much of a chore anymore. 

What platform, and how's it running so far? Is it an improvement over Unity?

What platform, and how's it running so far? Is it an improvement over Unity?

got it for ps4. Haven't finished the game yet. Slowly working my way through it while liberating boroughs but haven't encountered a lot of bugs like unity. So far I've only seen 2 bugs. Floating people and one cinematic with blurry faces and subtitles. Or maybe I'm just not really paying attention. I dunno. Nothing disturbing so far. 

As for improvement over unity, it feels more polished. Story wise, it's a whole lot better. Refreshing main characters in Jacob and evie. Much better than bland Arno. 2 characters with different personalities and such was really a good move in my opinion. I've got an issue with the water tho. Previous titles make it feel seemless when you run into the water and diving automatically. In syndicate, if ye don't free run down, you will always abruptly stop by the edge. Mechanics and gameplay wise, it really feels somewhat like assassins creed 2. Maybe a good mix of 2 and 3 if i say so myself. The rope launcher is a welcome addition. Makes travelling and scaling high buildings a lot faster and less of a chore like in previous games. And London has a whole lot of high buildings mind ye. I've actually taken the time to try and liberate all boroughs here too. I didn't really care for that in the other games but somehow liberation here feels much more rewarding and fun overall. In unity, I was in a rush to finish the story and get it over with, but here, I dunno. I just kinda want to take in the London setting and all. Lock picking isn't a chance game now too so there's that. The carriages feel sorta the same as the horses in previous games. Then again. They are horse drawn and all. And maybe perhaps the best of it all is that ubisoft club isnt front and center and it's not all over yer face. 

Oh.  And the thing that bothers me is the loading time. It really takes its time loading. Being stuck  in purgatory simulator for a while makes ye wish ye hadn't taken the fast travel option.

Edited by yell0wf0x

got it for ps4. Haven't finished the game yet. Slowly working my way through it while liberating boroughs but haven't encountered a lot of bugs like unity. So far I've only seen 2 bugs. Floating people and one cinematic with blurry faces and subtitles. Or maybe I'm just not really paying attention. I dunno. Nothing disturbing so far. 

As for improvement over unity, it feels more polished. Story wise, it's a whole lot better. Refreshing main characters in Jacob and evie. Much better than bland Arno. 2 characters with different personalities and such was really a good move in my opinion. I've got an issue with the water tho. Previous titles make it feel seemless when you run into the water and diving automatically. In syndicate, if ye don't free run down, you will always abruptly stop by the edge. Mechanics and gameplay wise, it really feels somewhat like assassins creed 2. Maybe a good mix of 2 and 3 if i say so myself. The rope launcher is a welcome addition. Makes travelling and scaling high buildings a lot faster and less of a chore like in previous games. And London has a whole lot of high buildings mind ye. I've actually taken the time to try and liberate all boroughs here too. I didn't really care for that in the other games but somehow liberation here feels much more rewarding and fun overall. In unity, I was in a rush to finish the story and get it over with, but here, I dunno. I just kinda want to take in the London setting and all. Lock picking isn't a chance game now too so there's that. The carriages feel sorta the same as the horses in previous games. Then again. They are horse drawn and all. And maybe perhaps the best of it all is that ubisoft club isnt front and center and it's not all over yer face. 

Oh.  And the thing that bothers me is the loading time. It really takes its time loading. Being stuck  in purgatory simulator for a while makes ye wish ye hadn't taken the fast travel option.

It sounds like it's all-around better than Unity, which lines up neatly with the reviews I've read so far. Even the technical aspect is apparently massively improved, though with Unity still being a broken heap on PC, that's hardly a surprise!