Winning

Strongbob

I won a race today.  Not a big race, not an important race, but big enough in my region of the world that some people will take note.  It’s not the first time I’ve won this race, actually I’ve won it four times in the last six years.  Winning always feels good in the moment but it is a fleeting emotion.  Once the cheers end and the awards are given, life goes on as if nothing had ever happened.   Sometimes you are recognized as ‘that guy’ but glory fades quickly and eventually the victories seem hollow.   I suppose I could not try as hard and let other win, but then I wouldn’t be true to myself.  I try to be sincerely gracious and humble in victory and I try and keep the respect of the competitors, but no matter how much you try, winning changes your relationships with the people around you, even your friends.  I don’t want to be feared and I don’t need praise and admiration.  I just want to be me and show people my terrible gift.  I am happy but I am alone.  I am become death, destroyer of worlds. 

• Like 7

I'm confused.

I thought this was about NASCAR for a moment and then I'm seeing blue hedgehogs who snort speed and are always playing with their nose. Have you ever noticed that in the game? Whenever Sonic is standing still he's all like "heehee I can't feel my nose it's so numb from SNORT ahhhhhh*

Well, congrats on your victory!

I don't compete in anything, but I imagine the pressures that come from being victorious. Especially when you're on a streak. I suppose the real victory comes from not letting it break you in the various ways it can.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, XoPachi said:

Well, congrats on your victory!

I don't compete in anything, but I imagine the pressures that come from being victorious. Especially when you're on a streak. I suppose the real victory comes from not letting it break you in the various ways it can.

Thanks XO, I think the real lesson here is that winning has little value in itself.  Maintaining the respect of your friends and competitors while you win is far more difficult than the actual victory and far more important.  

One thing you'll learn about being highly skilled in anything is that there will always be people who smile at your face and spew hateful envy behind your back. Be a gracious winner if you plan to ever have the luxury of friends you trust. On the other hand, if your race isn't applicable to anything beyond intramural sports, the your talent obviously isn't turning into a career so hey ham it up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Strongbob said:

Thanks XO, I think the real lesson here is that winning has little value in itself.  Maintaining the respect of your friends and competitors while you win is far more difficult than the actual victory and far more important.  

Competition is fun, it's not so much the winning that is what feels good but the sense of completing a tough challenge successfully. It's simply addicting. The only reason I like any sort of titles of being the best is so that people take my advice seriously and come to me for advice. Of-course I have never had any sort of title like that for anything relevant.

• Like 1