Mascots on Netflix

Strongbob

Just watched the new Mascots movie on Netflix about a mascot competition done by the same team that did Best in Show.  I was slightly surprised by some of the dialog though.  I got the sense that the film makers had some consultations with furries.  It’s subtle, but I think we are getting some recognition here.  What do you think?

“I think a furry snuck in and he’s skritching”

“What’s a furry?”

“A furry is a person that likes to dress up as an anthropomorphic animal, it’s a form of roll playing, it’s huge”

“The skritching thing, what is that?”

“Skritching is a form or light scratching or grooming, it’s a form of affection, furries love to do it.  But it has absolutely nothing to do with sex.  Well apparently 37% of them enjoy sex very much but that’s not the point”

“I was in the other room and one of the guys bumped into me.  I think he was going for my wallet.”

“Did he yip or did he yiff?  If he yipped that means hello, if he yiffed then well, you have a problem.”

End Scene

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!

I’m not sure, but is this the first direct reference to the furry subculture in a feature length movie?

That's the corniest, most ham-fisted dialogue I've ever heard. It reads like it was written by a fifteen year old girl who spends her days browsing FA and Tumblr while thinking about how super speshul her fandom is.

It was actually less cringey when people said we were all a bunch of sexual degenerates.

Then again, I'm the last person who should criticize someone else's writing skills.

1 minute ago, Hux said:

That's the corniest, most ham-fisted dialogue I've ever heard. It reads like it was written a fifteen year old girl who spends her days browsing FA and Tumblr while thinking about how super speshul her fandom is.

It was actually less cringey when people said we were all a bunch of sexual degenerates.

Then again, I'm the last person who criticize someone else's writing skills.

The entire film is corny and ham-fisted, so it actually fits pretty well. I almost spewed my beer when the scene started.  I would never have guessed they would go down that road so fast.  Thankfully my roommate wasn't home, otherwise I would have had some serious explaining to do.  

• Like 1