Rant: My School's Online Grading

Kaizy

So I'm sure a few of you have heard me going on tirades about my scripting class, having little emotional breakdowns here and there because I've been horribly lost and failing the class for the past semester. My school's online grading system has me sitting at a solid 40% for this class, so you can imagine just how great my anxiety has been for the past couple months. Well it's finals time and of course I've still been in an absolute panic over my grade for this class since, from what I was assuming, I would have to pull some sort of miracle out of my ass and get the most phenomenal grade I've ever gotten on the final in order to stand a chance at passing.

So today's class was a review session for the final where we did sort of a demo final in class. Needless to say, I was just as lost as ever, and it took me an hour and a half just to get the first step done, out of like 4-5 steps total, and the final apparently contains more. Naturally, I started having another panic attack and I almost broke down in the middle of class this time and had to ask my instructor if I even had a chance at passing at this point because the online grades say I'm at a 40% and I can barely get the practice final started. He says "You've been going by the online grades? Oh no, don't go by those they're completely off and are giving you a significantly lower grade than you actually have". He pulls out his laptop and adds up my current totals, and apparently I'm sitting at a fucking low B/high C.

I am so fucking livid. I'm incredibly relieved that I'm not actually failing, but my school's stupid fucking online grading system put me into a panicked state for the past couple months and it nearly threw me back into my depressive rut. Fuck these shitty incorrect grading systems. I had heard stories of how bad the online grading system is, and even had a class where the grades got messed up, but it was minor and the instructor addressed it almost immediately. I had to nearly have an emotional breakdown in the middle of class before I found out that the online grades were fucked up for this class. All that worrying for most of the semester, all that unnecessary stress, all for nothing.

I'm so fucking pissed.

Wow, that's horrible to hear that you've been suffering over the last couple of months just because the online grading system is shite. At least you know that it's broken.

I really hope you're feeling somewhat better with yourself now and a little more relaxed for finals now. Best of luck Kaizy! Hope you do great.

Don't be stupid and get pissed off over it, now you know where you're at. You can't consider yourself fucked anymore, now you can let go of those junk feelings and fucking take her home.

Good on ya, by the way, you've got a career in your grips. Obviously, if you keep doing what you've been doing, you're going to be looking for specific work with your own title in no time.

Call me crazy, but I'd say it was probably better for ya, you ran yourself down in your field, you still succeeded, though you figured the shit hit the fan. I bet the same thing will happen to you when you're working in your own industry, it's probably not going to be as bad as worrying about writing off an entire education; it'll be a 'been there, done that' kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Wrecker said:

Don't be stupid and get pissed off over it, now you know where you're at. You can't consider yourself fucked anymore, now you can let go of those junk feelings and fucking take her home.

Good on ya, by the way, you've got a career in your grips. Obviously, if you keep doing what you've been doing, you're going to be looking for specific work with your own title in no time.

Call me crazy, but I'd say it was probably better for ya, you ran yourself down in your field, you still succeeded, though you figured the shit hit the fan. I bet the same thing will happen to you when you're working in your own industry, it's probably not going to be as bad as worrying about writing off an entire education; it'll be a 'been there, done that' kind of thing.

Well the thing is I'm not a web programmer/designer, I'm just a regular print and graphics designer. My school is just a very tech progressive school, so they require all design majors to take a Javascript class and a web design class, and just seeing how much I struggled with this this semester, I doubt I'm going to be trying to venture further into this when it doesn't really fall into my major too much.

Currently, I just need to figure out how to do the final Wednesday and I'll be fine. My instructor seems to understand just how bad I am at learning this stuff, so he's been assuring me that I'll be fine if I just keep trying my best and show that I've learned and applied the concepts he's taught.

God, after Wednesday, I'm going to completely shut down for like a week.

lmao "online learning management" systems or whatever are mostly garbage, and only made worse by profs who haven't touched a computer since 1990. I remember Desire2Learn being pretty smooth for creating custom marking schemes and giving feedback though. WebCT and Moodle are bottom of the barrel.

The only problem with Desire2Learn is it assumes most students actually have any desire to learn.

Yeah I took the final. He told me beforehand that I didn't need an A+ or anything on it to pass the class.

If I'm absolutely confident in how I did on the final, I'm pretty sure I got a low B on it. So...maybe I passed the class??