Writer's block-.-

TheGreatFanatic

:3  

7 members have voted

1. 1. :3

I find block usually occurs when there is something specific that you want to write, but can't.

In these cases I usually just write something else, be it a one off story about whatever or some dirty fetish piece that won't accomplish anything but a list of faves from people I then know not to talk to or accept commissions from. Just anything really to get the flow of writing back in my system. That generally makes my main focus easier and the project starts moving again.

However if you're referring to a general lack of any creative energy whatsoever, then my research has not yielded any results of use. Sorry.

Man do I feel your pain. I've been editing my book on and off the past FOUR YEARS. Why? Because I can't write anything I like. It all looks like crap to me. I've managed about a fourth of the way through the first time, and then stopped. Now I'm trying again, working on editing the rewrite right now, but eventually I'm going to have to use the original copy >.< I can't even write the opening to the new roleplay I'm starting with a friend because of.....I don't know. Same issue I guess with it all seeming like crap.

What I usually do is find some music that kind of puts me in a creative mood and put it on loop. That helps sometimes.

I find that listening to music can help. Quick and dirty writing exercises that only take a few minutes do too, since they act as a reason to write but not a reason to really care. If you give yourself five minutes to churn out two hundred words of something, then yeah, it might be shit but at least it's something. It might also become a nice jumping off point for something bigger.

I also advise finding authors that inspire you and reading their works. For me it's Stephen King. Reading his books MAKES me want to write so much, so if I'm in a rut, I pick up It and flip through it.

if you're in the middle of a big project, first and foremost, tell yourself that first drafts are SUPPOSED TO SUCK. It takes a lot of the anxiety away. Write now edit later and future you can worry about that part. Second, power through it. If you lose momentum, you might not finish what you're working on.

In the case of my current book, I hit a huge wall around page 240 or 250. I gave myself an ultimatum: If I didn't finish the book in a week, I was going to just delete it all and say fuck it.

I wrote like 80 pages that week :P

19 hours ago, Conker said:

I also advise finding authors that inspire you and reading their works. For me it's Stephen King. Reading his books MAKES me want to write so much, so if I'm in a rut, I pick up It and flip through it.

My love for Stephen King is borderline obsession. I have ALL of his books and am working on replacing my paperbacks with hardbacks. Next step is to get something signed. I always read his books when I'm feeling down about writing. As he said in On Writing, "If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...