Apple back tax record sum of 13bn Euros

Saxon

Those of you keeping up with the news may have heard that the European Commission recently ordered Apple to pay 13 billion Euros in back tax (no fine, that's just the tax that the EC believes Apple has escaped paying).

Normally corporation tax in Ireland, where Apple is based, is 12.5%, but Apple set up subsidiary companies such that they really only ended up paying between 1 and 0.005% tax.

You can read more about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37226101

The treasury of the USA, Apple and Ireland are protesting the record back taxes.

What do you think? Was Apple's tax situation fair in your view and do you think the resolution of the EC is fair?

I, personally, believe large companies should pay the taxes they are due instead of trying to weasel out of it, especially since taxes could be used to help a countries people. That is my uninformed opinion about global affairs. 

17 minutes ago, Lemon said:

I, personally, believe large companies should pay the taxes they are due instead of trying to weasel out of it, especially since taxes could be used to help a countries people. That is my uninformed opinion about global affairs. 

I agree. I was surprised that the US treasury came down on Apple's side, because I don't think they would tolerate multi-nationals paying 0.005% tax in their territory.

20 hours ago, Saxon said:

I agree. I was surprised that the US treasury came down on Apple's side, because I don't think they would tolerate multi-nationals paying 0.005% tax in their territory.

When companies pay large taxes in other nations, they can use that to pay less in taxes here. That's on top of the fact that they are already using foreign nations to pay less in tax here.

The U.S. government has become rather anti-tax as a result of its population becoming rather anti-tax, also. Even more, those involved are claiming the whole deal is some ex post facto crap which enrages educated U.S. citizens, and they are claiming it is government overreach which enrages uneducated U.S. citizens. The U.S. government has gained some skill in latching to an issue when it deals with some vague fundamental right. Apparently we must export freedoms to Europe again.

1 hour ago, MalletFace said:

When companies pay large taxes in other nations, they can use that to pay less in taxes here. That's on top of the fact that they are already using foreign nations to pay less in tax here.

The U.S. government has become rather anti-tax as a result of its population becoming rather anti-tax, also. Even more, those involved are claiming the whole deal is some ex post facto crap which enrages educated U.S. citizens, and they are claiming it is government overreach which enrages uneducated U.S. citizens. The U.S. government has gained some skill in latching to an issue when it deals with some vague fundamental right. Apparently we must export freedoms to Europe again.

American tax rules are a bit odd in my opinion. The American nationals I know, who live in England, have to pay tax to the USA even though they don't live or work there and already pay tax in England.

Hmm sounds like if they paid their taxes they could have actually helped a nation with widespread poverty get better.

But nah, they are american

My idea of law in these matters is simply that you must act in good faith to them, and not try to exploit every small loophole you can find just to suit your purpose. You know damn well what the law means and being a twat won't make you less of one.

On 9/4/2016 at 6:47 PM, Johanna Waya said:

My idea of law in these matters is simply that you must act in good faith to them, and not try to exploit every small loophole you can find just to suit your purpose. You know damn well what the law means and being a twat won't make you less of one.

This wasn't even a loophole. The Irish government gave Apple their own private tax rate as incentive for them to locate in Ireland. Ireland can set their general corporate tax rate as low as they want, but as soon as they cut company specific deals they fall afoul of longstanding European state-subsidy treaties. 

15 minutes ago, Onnes said:

This wasn't even a loophole. The Irish government gave Apple their own private tax rate as incentive for them to locate in Ireland. Ireland can set their general corporate tax rate as low as they want, but as soon as they cut company specific deals they fall afoul of longstanding European state-subsidy treaties. 

Well that is fun.